Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Race Thread 2024 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Lara Gillespie wins the stage and takes the lead in a 2.2 ranked event in Italy. Her first UCI win

https://x.com/elsterrato/status/1781685299485012266?s=46&t=GxIuxCwCL5-Eet2j65YTdA

• Registered Users Posts: 13,306 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

She won by a country mile!

© Flaviano Ossola

• Registered Users Posts: 14,022 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Split in LBL, MVDP, Pidcock, Bilbao, Vlasov caught 1min behind. Think Healy is in there as well. Healy is in the front group.

Israel pulling like crazy in the front, ffs let UAE do the work

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Healy a bit exposed there by the camera man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Morris Garren

One attack, BANG, goodbye, race over.

Maybe others find it compelling but much of the classics have been non-events in the final hour. Same again today. 41kmh over 6 hours with 4500m climbing. Impressive on paper, but not much spectacle.

Yeah not that entertaining but for a while it was looking good for Healy getting on the podium which kept it interesting but once Bardet went away you could tell he was done and happy to do what he could for Carapaz.

And ended up coming last & 2nd last in the group!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Boring again. Most classics have simply been dominated by one rider. It’s a pain in the arse

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

They've been terrible. It special attraction stuff…..one guy shows up and destroys everyone. MVDP was there today but was never in the game, and yet still finished 3rd. If one of Pog/MVDP/Jonas/Remco shows up its a foregone conclusion. WVA would have added competition but has been fecked since last year.

Pog has raced 10 days this year, won 7, was in the GC lead for the other 2 in Catalunya, and was 3rd in MSR in the other

MVDP has had 7 road days, won 3, 3rd today, 10th at MSR, 2nd in G-W and relatively nowhere in Amstel

Post edited by retalivity on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Yeah, destroying fields from far out in every race is getting boring. The least memorable classic season of all time for me.

I don’t know how you counteract it though

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It definitely has been the worst cyclo-cross, classics and monuments season that I can remember in terms of competitive races

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

WVA and Remco not crashing before RVV/ Roubaix and LBL respectively would help?

Not to downplay eithers performances, but part of it is that a monument podium (even top 10) is worth so much to riders and teams now that the chasers aren't willing to go all in. imo this exaggerates the time difference once they have a gap. Like we've bemoaned tactics in grand tours for decades. EF did in fairness, and look at the result for Healy and Carapaz. You could say the same about Jorgensen in RVV. They blew a high finish trying to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

While the MVDP and Pog long-range attacks have taken the interest out of some of the key events, there has been far more "non- dominant" racing than we'd like to think. Of the classics and semi classics, the vast majority have ended up with small group finishes or bunch sprints. Apart from MVDP at E3, I think the next biggest solo winning margin in those events was probably Jorgensen in Dwaars which was about 30 seconds.

As Macy0161 noted, the presence of WVA and Remco could have changed the complexion of the last three monuments too. And the generally good weather hasn't helped with spectacle much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

100% agree on this, there is no point killing yourself or team goals to have nothing left last 10-15km. DS know in advance that the like of Podj /MDVP on really good days are just best left away so instructions reflecting this are given out i'm convinced.

A lot of this season is hinging on a good TDF now. I’m not a religious man but I pray Remco and Roglic are on top form/fitness to at least ask a question of Pogi

Because even if I love him, Pogi cantering to a Giro/Tour double while winning a couple of monuments by minutes is going to be real boring

Four stages in, she has won two and finished second in the other two. Leads GC by over three and a half minutes and also holds the points jersey.

the break the other day effectively won her the GC, and she says that was just a mistake as she followed a woman on the downhill and when she turned around she was clear. Only went there to sprint apparently (where’s she’s 1 from 2 ha)

Looks like Plapp hopes to usurp Dunbar in the Giro. The TT will be important in May:-

Good time from Rafferty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

I don't think so, this article from their trainer is worth translating https://bici.pro/news/professionisti/dunbar-giro-parla-piva-top-5-possibile/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

I've no idea why that hasn't shown up as a link

Final GC from the Giro Mediterraneo Rosa

That does sound more encouraging. He will have to be good on the climbs to counteract the TT kilometres. Is google translate off or is Zanna's nickname really goofy?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,306 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

An interesting, and quite scary, interview with rider Rudy Molard. He crashed at the start of the season in the Tour Down Under and suffered concussion.

wasn’t watching Tour of Romandy but Rafferty in the leading group of about 80. Dunbar in a group 10+ mins down

Provisional startlist for the Giro. Looks like half the team is for Ewan i the sprints, with Dunbar, DeMarchi, Zana and probably Plapp for breaks/stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,978 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No Ben for EF Education in Giro ... might he do TDF?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

GC bore once Podjacar stays upright.

The breakaway stages will be a good watch, will we have flag to finish coverage?

• Advertisement

Pog could conceivably win S1 and stay in the pink jersey for the whole tour.

I'd imagine that Eurosport would have near to full coverage most days, with the breakaway show etc., particularly the weekends

Advertisement