Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Race Thread 2024 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Sprint finish so not really suited to Rafferty. Hopefully he gets another go tomorrow or the next day. I am right in thinking he is more of a climber than a fast man?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Archie Ryan was on the attack in the Cadel Evans race in Oz this morning, made the final group but was never going to win a sprint. Full race is on youtube

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Boro hansgrohe rider celebrated winning in Mallorca today not realising there was another 2 laps

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Colombian Nationals on today was a cracker. It was live on YouTube with the last 25/30km a big chase from Bernal & Higuita to the break.

I won’t spoil the rest in case some are yet to watch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Etoiles de Besseges stage 1 cancelled because of the farmers protests.

• Advertisement

I did like the comment about how the Stage 1 winner was Tim Declerq

Bardiani appear to have ambushed the big teams in the first day in Valencia. Lovely jersey they have as well, for a team renowned for crap ones.

OMG! Thought they messed that up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Advertisement

But nothing compares to those green and yellow, purple kits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Italian pro-conti teams always have beautifully demented kit. Nipo Vini Fantini was so good back around 2019 I actually bought it myself. I'm convinced it will be seen as iconoclastic in years to come and I'll be the envy of the Sunday club spin when I roll it out once a summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Is that the kit that had fake water bottles printed over the pockets ?

Eddie is a DNS this morning after a fall yesterday. Get the impression it's more precautionary than serious.

Great finishes in Saudi and France today, Valenciana still to come

EF's TT setup is dialled in

EDIT:

They ended up 3rd-7th, Bettiol & Healy ended up 3rd and 4th on GC

Post edited by retalivity on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭griffin100

50km solo breakaway winner in Valencia today. Great ride by Will Barta.

Loved to see Barta hold on there. Always remember Roglic pipping him in a TT in the Vuelta. Didn't realise it was his first pro-win as he is a quality rider and his climbing has improved even at 28. As for the TT in Besseges yet another french rider for them to get hyped about. Great ride from Healy and not too shabby from Rafferty either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Good showing all round by the Irish at the cyclocross Worlds over the weekend. All starting close to the back of their grids. Pick of the performances has to be Conor Murphy's - steadily picked his way through the field from a grid position of 53rd, made his way up to 24th before a mechanical... still finished 38 out of 74 starters. Only turned 17 last month. Looks a serious prospect... hopefully he keeps his toes in the CX world for a few years as it would be great to see what his ceiling is.

Very good performances from Greta Lawless (33rd out of 53) and Dean Harvey (33rd out of 57) too.

Not to mention the big shock in the men's elite - Stybar 31st. Was a nice emotional moment for him at the finish.

Sam starting the season for AG2R at Tour de Provence today, it opens with a prologue

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭MangleBadger

Sam gave up on the sprint today. Didn't watch a replay but he seemed pretty far back, although I think Mads Pedersen was also pretty far back at one stage.

I don't like this habit of sitting up and refusing to fight for a sprint. See Caleb Ewan do it far too often as well. If the leadout isn't perfect they throw their toys out of the pram.

Reminds me of Tom Cruise in Top Gun. Who is the Goose to Sam's Maverick who can coax him to reengage?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Looked a strong man’s sprint though?

Himself and a fair few sprinters could be played by Tom Cruise in his peak " top of his game, crisis of confidence, comeback" Topgun/Days of Thunder/Cocktail era.

A lot of nobodies ahead of Sam there, including one of his own teammates. The weather was pretty bad, maybe he just took it too safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭griffin100

Nice to see Caleb Ewan get a win in Oman today. He’s had a rough couple of years but hopefully he’ll push on with his new team.

Sam closer today but just ran out of steam at the very end. Mads seemed to fade very early in the sprint but when you've won 2 out of the 3 stages who cares.

• Advertisement

Was fuming at first when I saw the finish line photo and no sign of him.

Then I remembered AG2R are blue like everyone else now.

Advertisement