Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Race Thread 2024 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

That looks a harsh take on my initial look - didn't look like there was any gap he ducked out of taking to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

looks like he could have gone left on the overhead, it was a messy sprint but he had to commit to something if he wanted to be in the mix

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

To me he wanted to follow a Tudor rider who he thought was the eventual winner but it was in fact his lead out man peeling off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Jumbo doing a good job of showing there's zero benefit using their new helmets. Maybe they really dont want to wear them!

Also, interesting to see that Bennett was with the AG2R team to near the end, and wasnt done by the time they hit the hill. This, coupled with the fact he seems to be getting over hills far easier that other pure sprinters, and was climbing well up the mountains in UAE and finishing ahead of the bus, I wonder if he is trying to transition to more of a climby-sprinter guy, like Pedersen. Might suit him better to be the fastest guy in a reduced sprint, than going head to head in a busy, messy sprint with Merlier, Phillipsen etc.

Post edited by retalivity on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,521 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

UCI have banned head socks and are commissioning a review of TT helmets which have "become more about performance than their intended function"

Any other day of the year these guys would have looked ridiculous

https://bikerumor.com/is-dark-helmet-illegal-uci-reevaluates-time-trial-helmet-design-rules/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

No matter what I try, all I can think of when I seen TJVs position on the TTT was this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhTq9WeFt_M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Vingo was asked about the helmets in todays coverage and based on his answer (basically not very enthusiastic but diplomatically not criticising them). I translate it as "please ban them UCI".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Sam Bennett has always been one of the better sprinters for hills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Bring back the sausage helmet and make any riders looking to act the b****x by using one of the new Lord Helmet yokes wear them as punishment.

I'm not a fan of the helmets, but it's totally ridiculous for the UCI to pass them, and then look to ban once everyone gives out. Reactionary bollox.

In TT's, helmets have been chasing aero gains over rider safety/ "intended function" for decades - they actually started wearing them in TT's before they had to for the performance benefits (whether real or not).

It's perfectly normal for sports to constantly review the impact of technology.

Swimming, tennis and running have had very similar high profile cases of clothing tech being retroactively banned.

Maybe, but from what I've heard (albeit second hand/ on podcasts), the companies were talking to UCI at various stages. UCI introduce dimensions that helmets have to fit, helmets fit in box but look crap, UCI changes the rules.

My main question would be on the safety of the giro helmets - if they face plant in them (as someone totally uneducated in it), it doesn't appear that it'd end well!

I'd be surprised if there wasn't, as Macy hinted at, a process whereby the manufacturers liaise with the UCI before commencing development of new products. It would make zero sense to go to all the cost of design, R&D, testing, manufacturing/ production only to find out that they weren't legal.

Manufacturers have to have faith in the governing body and the rules in place. There has to be a degree of legitimate expectation that if you're told something will be compliant that it will be allowed unless specific safety issues are discovered. We seem to be dealing with a knee jerk reaction here - as though the UCI suddenly realised that something they'd just glanced at and approved - "yeah, yeah, I'm sure it's fine, work away" - was getting a lot of heat in the media. And then threw the manufacturer under the bus.

That said, ban them all.

You'd have to think even with MIPS there could be issues with neck rotation in a crash also

Yes, was more the potential for that I was getting at really. But even some of the new aero road helmets are quite elongated (the bontrager one comes to mind).

There's definitely a front to back risk too with the shark nose likely to push the head upwards

We have been here before with TT bikes because the UCI just couldn't fathom the kind of madness that R&D people would come up with and had to write new rules after the fact.

True. I'd be surprised if this was the same kind of case though. There's a lot less detail that goes into a helmet compared to a complete bike. We're really just talking about a shape and size here. And if the UCI had green lit that helmet but the manufacturer subsequently changed the specs/ design I'm sure the UCI would have let us know straight away... "not our fault, this doesn't reflect the design they gave us to approve".

• Advertisement

Ridiculous last corner in Italy, downhill in the wet 300m from the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

Bahrain/Rudy Project have come out and said the UCI approved their helmet as is, only a month ago.

The important question is, are they sock-height compliant?

Ooofff...break nearly made it!

No win but at least Sam finally managed to finish ahead of Van Poppel🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Finished 4th, wasn’t a great sprint but at least he’s still up there I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Interesting schedule for Archie Ryan. He’s down for Coppi e Bartalli (won by Eddie in 2022 and Vingegaard in 2021). Ben Healy was 3rd last year too. He’s set to race the Tour of the Basque Country and Tour of the Alps in April

Darren Rafferty is on the list for Catalunya

Healy is headed for Amstel, Flèche Wallonne, LBL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

His 2 results this week are probably his best in quite a while. I’ve been critical of him over recent years but I think he’s at last heading in the right direction. A couple of wins in some lesser races early on this season would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Raymzor

Great to see Sam in the mix. Certainly improving.

• Advertisement

And improving again today, he was doing the dirty work for the team pulling Gall and APP back to the leaders after a split on the second last climb. Was one of very few sprinters in the main group at that stage of the race, 150k in.

Advertisement