Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass shooting in Prague city center.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Shocking stuff that is this event. Can't wrap my head around that mentality.

Until this happened I use to have a funny story, in my mind at least...I was in Prague 01/02 and saw a normal shop with guns in the window(found strange as I know nothing about guns).

This particular handgun was on special offer. Buy it and get a free silencer...eh...only logical explanation is...home invasion and put on the silencer so we don't wake the neighbours. Wtf!?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,607 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Oh right well I'll email the 19 dead peoples families and inform them of your pedantics.

I'm sure they will feel much better.

Yeah, like I said not just paper work.

Also any sort of criminal record precludes ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,541 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Yeah cos that's exactly what I said ffs (also your lazy characterization is quite a bit off for what it's worth)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

The first victim has been named

Dr Lenka Hlavkova, Head of the institute of musicology in Charles University.

Her bio says she studied in Cork (among other places) as part of the TEMPUS program

https://www.smnf.cz/en/team/phdr.-lenka-hlavkova-ph.d./

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's pretty much straight forward,

I know you like to argue every little point,but yes it's easy enough to purchase a firearm in the Czech republic, alot easier than here

Suppressors didn't become legal in the Czech republic until 2017 If I remember correctly

I already reminded you of the claim to which I replied to.

Actual assault rifles seem to be easier to obtain in the Czech Republic than in the US

Will I have to do it a 3rd time?

Yes it's easy,in the US it's state by state.

Point......

• Advertisement

Easier in the states again depending on the particular state

So you agree the claim is false.

There is no need to continue so is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,772 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There is no good reason why anyone should be entitled to purchase anything above or beyond a baseline rifle or shotgun for game or vermin control.

I'm happy with the laws wrt firearms are the way they are here. If the guards doesn't like the look of you, tough. Go find another hobby, stamp collecting or something.

No it's not false,

Nothing new there make a claim that you have zero clue about then argue page after page about some irrelevant detail you claim

Are you from the Czech Republic? I can Google too.

It's not the look of you the guards go by its the look of a black gun that scares them , you can't have that it looks too military but you can have this in the same calibre just as long as it's not tacticool, I knows lads who were told no they cant own a .45 pistol because it's a Military round but here you can have the same pistol in 9mm which is a more dangerous round and used by the majority of the worlds military in pistols

You just said it was false. It's not my claim.

🤷‍♀️

We will leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

The Gardai not 'liking the look' of you is not a valid reason for refusal here. If you have a reason for it and no criminal record to speak of..the licence essentially has to be granted here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The Czech police are taking a position which has been advocated in the US by professionals for years but the American news organisations in particular have refused to implement. They are not giving the shooter any particular publicity and are asking him not to be named in order to reduce the copycat allure of fame.

The Czech firearms system is I'd say kindof in the middle of the US policy. Overall it runs like what in the US is known as "shall issue" jurisdiction, with one in 40 Czechs having a license to carry a concealed firearm in public. The word "pistol" is Czech. There are some tests and administrative hurdles, but if you pass them, licenses must be issued. Unlike the US, foreigners can be issued permits, and there are almost no gun free zones. For example I can't carry my sidearm on school grounds or into a bar in Texas, such restrictions do not apply in Czechia. An above post indicates that true assault rifles are cheaply available in Czechia, which isn't the case in the US (or legally available in some states) but I seem to recall that the Czechs lost a court case against the EU recently when the EU basically banned the things so that may be a change.

The big difference is in attitude. The Czechs quite simply are less likely to engage in the use of firearms for petty (or unlawful) reasons like in the US. The fact that people have been claiming ignorance on this thread about Czech firearms laws being so liberal despite them having been brought up before is in itself an indicator that the issue is far more than just the prevalence of firearms in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

I know feck all about guns, and you seem to know your way around them but I think your missing the point.

Your average lad with a Rifle like a .308, or .22 or what ever would have a small clip, bolt action set up, I would have thought?

Your man had a Military AR which come with a 20-30 or bigger clip that is just pull trigger, fire away, Semi auto or could be messed with to make it more or less Full auto.

The gobshite probably liked the "Rambo" look of the AR as most of these clowns are into that Military hard man look, but also the extra speed of fire. I'm sure he could have still killed plenty of people with a normal bolt action but I would say a lot less.

You mentioned the "Black Colour" or guns being harder to license? That's crazy, never heard of that. No matter what colour they are they should not be avalible to the public under any circumstances.

The USA 2nd Amendment excuse is what has them F'd up. They seem to have forgotten the "A well regulated Militia" part and even then it's not relevant these days.

Any way a lot of people killed and injured for no reason, because an angry young lad had access to a gun and didn't give a sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Have the media tried to blame it on incels yet? I noticed some hypocrisy after the Dublin attack. It wasn't acceptable to blame all immigrants for the attack yet the media always think it is ok to blame the entire incel community for attacks for example Plymouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Fun fact of the day - The shortest distance between the Czech Republic border and the border of Russia proper is father than the distance between Dublin and Cologne in Germany

If you count Kaliningrad, that is shorter.......but the Russians would need to go though Germany to get there

• Registered Users Posts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They are hunting you down as we speak Baywatch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If you are happy with our firearms laws here, let me make you aware that there are citizens here in Ireland with legally held (fully licenced) AR15s, AR10s and a multitude of other semi auto centrefire rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

The argument that a well-armed populace with the right to bear arms in public is any sort of deterrent against a determined invader was always bullshit and has been manifestly proved to be bullshit by the events of October 7 in Israel.

Those kibbutzim on the border with the Gaza strip are/were armed camps. Remember that every adult Israeli citizen, or at least every adult Jewish Israeli citizen, male or female, is a trained soldier having spent at least two years full time in the military and liable to be called back for a month every year during PEACE TIME! as a reservist. They all know how to use battlefield weapons. Every citizen in the kibbutzim has a gun at hand and when I say gun, I don't mean a shotgun or a hunting rifle for use against pigeons and squirrels. I mean a proper military weapon intended to kill large numbers of the enemy in short order. There is also a detachment of soldiers doing their military service on site at all times.

So how did that work out for them?

It's not like the Hamas fighters were particularly well armed. They had some rocket propelled grenades and assault rifles. No heavy artillery; no armoured vehicles, just a bunch of Hiluxes; and their "air force" consisted of hang gliders FFS.

My own researches bring me to the same conclusion that others here have found, namely that apart from the US there are almost no normal democracies other than Israel and Czechia that allow citizens to bear arms in public. Switzerland doesn't allow this. Check it out. There is NO normal democracy on the face of the earth, as far as I am aware (I will stand corrected) that has a blanket ban on their citizens owning firearms. You can own a gun anywhere, even in such civilised countries as Ireland and Britain who in general don't even arm their police. You can't carry it around with you locked and loaded and ready for action.

Hopefully, this event in Czechia is an aberration, the result of a deranged man who went on a rampage for whatever demented reason. The notion that MORE people with guns on campus would have made any difference to this event is deluded. All it would mean, as it means in America, is that there would be many other smaller shooting events that might not meet the definition of "mass shooting" resulting in a lot more deaths cumulatively. Czechia DOES indeed allow citizens to bear arms but still has very tight restrictions on what they can and can't do. Restrictions that would give the average American Gun Rights Advocate (AGRA) apoplexy.

Put the guns away. Leave them for the army, the hunting ground or the shooting range. Much better all round.

And let me also add my voice to those saying that Prague is indeed one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Don't let one sad overpowered gun nut put you off visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Another loser deciding to go on a rampage. Why don't they just kill themselves? When are we going to face up to the serious issue that we're facing, the violent tendancies of these types of men. It's a worldwide epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭growleaves

Two points I want to make:

One.. There have been successful (and partially-successful) guerilla armies in the past. It suits to you give a recent example where armed resistance had no effect and say that therefore matter is closed. I disagree. Look at the whole of history of warfare.

Guerrilla activity was a factor in Czech resistance to the Nazis, there were partisan brigades.

Two.. I'm not sure what you mean by 'normal democracy'. (Do you mean that Israel, Turkey, Iraq and Lebanon are abnormal democracies? If so you may have a point.) But what is a democracy? People vote for policy. So what does what other people have voted for in other countries have to do with it? Sometimes one or two countries have their own ideas.

Ireland isn't an ex-Soviet satrapy, we're surrounded by friendly countries. Britain has a strategic interest in keeping Ireland free of hostile foreign powers, as it could become a base from which to attack Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭growleaves

Russia don't have to start from their own border proper but from wherever in Ukraine they are currently at.

I don't think a Russian invasion is likely but the distances involved don't mean it can't ever happen. If Russian troops could make it over to Czechoslovakia twice last century - in 1945 and in 1968 - then it's not imaginary.

Advertisement