Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bobster453

Well some people in a certain country still talk about 1966 so I reckon we have a while of bragging yet😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

And to be fair, that event in 1966 pales in comparison to the jug win

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, i guess we'll just need to add an additional group and beat them 7-0 this year 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

Need a new bulldog next year.

I'm hoping to make the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I love this time of year! The boards list gets announced.. Its like getting your Tour card! March cant come quick enough.. Cracking set of courses @Alanm Society in great hands and going from strength to strength. Weather sorted 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

An exciting time of year when the Boards Soc thread goes up - Santa coming and a plan for part of your golfing year. Santa came and went, but we still have this to look forward to.

I played with Alanm in Tullamore two years ago and am very surprised to learn that he took up the game late and then got to that level. It feels like the opposite golfing journey to me 😂

And a great list of courses. Starting in Corballis - my former home club. I love the course, but I'm just accepting defeat and going to try elsewhere for a while. It's as fun a course as you'll find in the country.

Portmarnock links next - the course I play best on. My average gross score there is lower than Corballis (even with it being par 71 vs par 66), my average score differential is about 9 or 10 lower there than corballis. But more importantly.... I can have pints and walk home from it! It's a fantastic course. I really like a lot of the changes they've made to the course. I'm actually playing there tomorrow for my first round in a couple of months.

I haven't played the next three. I do hear that Portarlington is a bit of a hidden gem and Mullingar is supposed to be terrific. I have played Macreddin and it's a great fun course. It's a contender for the most difficult you'll play! And believe what they say about the walking. The walk from the 9th green to the 10th tee is about the length of a long par 5.

I'm from Tramore so the last two courses are quite accessible to me too. I haven't played West Waterford since I was a junior so won't pretend I remember it, but I hear only great things. I remember Gold Coast well though and it's a lovely course. If you enjoy views on a golf course you'll love this course. Pretty much the whole thing is on the coast. And it's not a difficult course, but that's not a derogatory thing to say about it. You'll certainly be tested, but after a round the previous day and some post round beverages, it might be nice to have a course that's not going to make your hangover worse. The great thing about those two courses for Captains though is that Dungarvan is a fantastic town for eating and drinking in. I don't know how fancy people get with food in this society, but the Tannery is one of my favourite restaurants. But you can't really go wrong eating and drinking in the town.

So anyway, it's an exciting list of courses and I'm going to try to make as much as I can. The fact that they're convenient for me is great, but having only played once every two months for the last 8 months or so I won't get my hopes up too much that I'll see you at them all. If I can make the first and last two I'd be delighted. If I can sneak in another one or two I'll pinch myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well Easter holidays now booked in so I won’t be walking around Corballis with yiz 🌅🌞

see you all in April, or maybe some of you for a pint sometime before that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Would the Tannery do the most favourite picks of BGS

1) Chicken Curry Rice and Chips

2) Beef burger

3) Chicken Burger

4) pasta

5) Fish and chips..

Doubtful

A peculiar place imo

SET MENU €40

5.30pm-6.30pm

Please note this table will be booked again later.

Soup of the day

Local beetroot, Toons Bridge feta cheese, olive dressing, dukkah

Chicken liver parfait, Waldorf salad, toasted sourdough

~~~

Crispy pork belly, roast cauliflower, golden raisins and mustard sauce

Pan fried pollock, saffron, pea and Sobrasada rice

Fried gnocchi, grilled scallions, crispy shallots, Asian butter

~~~

Sides €6

Twice cooked chips, house seasoning, aioli

Comeragh farm greens, Cáis Na Tíre cheese, garlic crumb

~~~

Poached pear, chocolate sauce, vanilla ice cream, brandy snap

Whipped lemon cheesecake, berry compote and biscuit

~~~

Tea / Coffee €3.50

Cappuccino / Espresso / Americano €4.20

Liqueur Coffee €8.00

Espresso Martini €15.00

(10% service charge for parties of 6 or more)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

You'd never know what you'd get on the tasting menu fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Looking forward to joining back up for another year and a great set of courses organised by Alan. Missing Ballyneety unfortunately as i'll be in Japan (woe is me am i right? 🤣). But really looking forward to getting out to Corballis with a full compliment of clubs, and a bit of unfinished business in Portmarnock Links after the Jug loss there in 2022.

The other courses are all new to me so really looking forward to a bit of travel and some good golf. will definitely have to stay over once or twice and experience the full after golf craic of the society.

Heres to a great year ahead and good luck Alan with the captaincy

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

When will invoices be issued ?

@bakerbhoy gimme a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 scotty_golf9

Hi Lads, long time no see. Happy new years to you all. Im back after taking a year off from golf and i cant wait to get back playing this year. Im just wondering if theres still space in the society this year as i loved the first year i played with yeahs. Fingers crossed i can catch up with yeahs this year🤞🏻⛳️ and as a wise man once told me…. Golf is Life @benny79

Of course

will get set up for the year very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Awh... Its always nice when the children come back home 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Now, are you absolutely sure it was a "wise" man that told you that?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 scotty_golf9

@RoadRunner In my generation, wise means old😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 ciano15

Brushing off the cobwebs great to be back, went afk for a while as @benny79 and @scotty_golf9 know why(love life) after getting my fair share of stick off Benny on instagram but the young guns are back to show him a few things, all jokes aside looking forward to the coming season and hoping to play with a few new faces again this year

Once the young lads turn up to the right courses this year they’ll be fighting the fight it seems 🤣

The auld dog for the hard road the pup for the boreen comes to mind😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I imagine loads of portmarnock links tee times show up in portmarnock old.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

Did

Did that very thing myself first time.

Followed a car up to the barrier and drove in behind him.

Asked in the pro shop about Boards Golf Society and was snibbly told next door.

Same headland was my parting comment. Don't think it went down too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

Same happened me on my first outing 🙈🙈🙈

How did yez manage that?..even I went to the right place.

All - just wanted to post on behalf of the committee.

Captain Alan is working hard in the background to put things in place for this year and things will start moving in the next while. Watch this space.

We wanted to post, to thank all the members over the years who have supported the society in various ways - this support comes in many forms , be it giving your own time voluntarily, to help out with various aspects of the planning and operation of the society, to the various members who help out with the scoring and inputting of various data for the outings.

All this seems to go off so professionally - I only got to see what was involved in all this, in my own year as captain in 2022 - I won't name names, but - we know who they are (if you know).

The only way all this can work, is by voluntary effort - I've been amazed at how much time and effort , people will put into a society - this society is very different and needs you to take a leap of faith in the society and in people from the online world too. I can't recommend it enough, for you to join if you are looking in. It is the ultimate golf journey, that can go on for years. There are great courses, great characters and great days.

I'm only new to the scene from a society committee perspective - but I've been nothing but impressed, at their willingness to help , improve and build a better experience for all the members.

We have been extremely fortunate with some very significant sponsorship from a few companies over the years - in particular, NRC taxis gave us a big push early on - this was so helpful in getting us on a good footing - and the purchasing of various trophies that play a big part in the society to this day.

Boards themselves helped us out from the off and have provided great support and understanding, that a society based around a forum, was novel and of significance to their brand. We would also like to mention, the great help from the mods here.

Blacks Unisport Ireland - have given us great support and access to clothing at great value over the years.

A start up took a massive chance on us in 2022, Stinger Golf Ireland - sponsoring our post of the outing that year.

Golf Clubs around Ireland have been extraordinary to us - these are the people involved in management - operations - front of house - pro shops and the extraordinary hard working bar and catering staff. We could not let this part go, without mentioning the extraordinary green keeping staff - who keep Irish courses in amazing condition - with not always extraordinary budgets.

We would like to thank all the Past Captains - who gave the extraordinary effort of time and many great prizes and contributions over the years. They also used various contacts in the industry, to secure the best rates possible at various courses. Keeping costs down for members.

We would also like to thank all the members - who went out of their way to get , great rates , provide prizes, 4 balls - and to often act as host at their home club.

Finally - we would like to give a big thanks to ClubNet Systems for their amazing sponsorship and technical support. This has changed how we do things and improve the membership experience for all.

So - we would like to thank everyone again - if anyone has any more ideas , could they PM myself or Alan - and we will continue to try our best, to keep the golf society, a great experience for the members and continue to grow, enjoy and love this amazing golfing country.

great post @FixdePitchmark

I have been going through my PM's and Clubnet App registrations this evening and have set a few newbies up, so welcome to the society you guys

there were a few more registrations on Clubnet but I don't know who you are???

So if you registered on Clubnet and haven't received an activation mail this evening, please drop me a pm with required details

we will get sub invoices sent out soon

seve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Aleynaa

Hey everyone, I played in Fota island with the society a few years ago and had a great day. Hoping to properly join this year and make most of the dates. I’ve played a few of the courses on the list and Ballyneety is on my doorstep which is ideal. Can someone send me the activation link please.

Advertisement