Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SME / Local Business thread - just watching trends .. ( what will 2024 bring )

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭herbalplants

In Dublin, every second day I see more retail units out for rent or unoccupied.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭aidanodr

This LOCALLY in Cork would be a big one. Very popular over the years - NASH 19 restaurant / Cafe closing with immediate effect

"Soaring business costs have forced one of Cork’s best-known restaurateurs to close her business after more than three decades of serving the city.

Nash 19, which was founded by Claire Nash on the city’s Prince’s Street in 1992, has ceased trading with immediate effect, with the loss of 20 jobs."

Another big Restaurant outfit closing in CORK. Thats the 4th in a week.

I wonder how much of this has to do with the VAT and TAX warehousing that has to be paid up by May? And then after a while do a pheonix in a smaller setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

"Very Popular" is doing some heavy lifting there.

It takes serious effort/incompetence to have a rating that low on TripAdvisor over such prolonged period of time.

There are chippers in Cork with higher TA ratings

So @For Forks Sake .. all these closures of what would have been big enough restaurants in Cork City ( Tung Sing, Nash 19 etc ), some of which have been open since the 60s and the 90s are all just down to the punter suddenly getting more selective about where they eat?

I reckon its a bit more than that .. a mixture of things inc the higher input costs, people eating at home using likes of lets eat services, perhaps high rent/rates in the city centre + what I said re DEBT in the guise of this VAT and TAX warehousing due by May.

Also can we really trust ratings sites these days? Especially now with use of AI tools and the like? I used to trust them, but not anymore tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement