Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traditional Christmas Dinner

Options
  • 19-12-2023 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Will this be your traditional Irish Christmas Dinner including turkey, roast potatoes, sprouts, cranberry sauce and more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Irish Dinner would include ham and spiced beef in some places.

Whilst pigs in blankets are more common now. A lot here would associate them with party food more so.

Bread Sauce and Gravy also popular.

We'd have bread and potato stuffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iniscealtra

Roast goose, potato stuffing, carrots, roast parsnips, sprouts, roast potatoes and gravy made from the giblets. A baked glazed (honey and mustard) ham with pineapple. Christmas pudding with cream. Christmas cake with tea later on. Maybe smoked salmon as a starter on thinly sliced brown bread and lemon.

Would never have had pigs in blankets at Christmas.

Always a box of biscuits and sweets around during the day.

Wine with dinner. Later on hot whiskies & maybe a baileys or a brandy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Turkey, ham, stuffing, croquettes, carrots & parsnips, sprouts, marrowfat peas, homemade gravy & roasties.

And an elasticated waist......

No starters, just the main course, coco pops for breakfast, a couple of roses and some champagne.

Maybe some cheese and nibbles too. Feck I am starving even writing this post out!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Turkey, ham, bread (or cranberry) sauce, gravy, carrot and parsnip mash, brussels sprouts, mash and roast potatoes.

Ours is not a stuffing house, though I appreciate some like it.

Pigs in blankets only if someone had gone to marks and sparks and bought then - as nibbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Turkey, ham, homemade stuffing, roast potatoes, carrots, mash, sprouts, peas, homemade Turkey gravy… delicious…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Retro classic Prawn Cocktail for starters. I remember how delicious it is and swear I’ll make it more often throughout the year. This doesn’t happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That doesn't look like a traditional Irish Christmas dinner. More like a British one. Turkey, Ham, Mashed Potatoes (maybe some roasted but not as the sole representative of potatoes), stuffing, carrots, celery, Brussel sprouts, croquettes, bread sauce, stuffing....

Pigs in blankets are certainly not an Irish tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Turkey & Ham , Roast Spuds , Brussell Spouts , Gravy ... Will watch Original Willy wonka i taped after our Christmas dinner

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

We do turkey and ham, stuffing balls, roast and creamed spuds, sprouts with bacon bits, carrot and parsnip mash, bread sauce, gravy and cranberry sauce. Haven’t done a dessert the last couple of years cos everyone is too stuffed to move so nobody ends up wanting any 🤣

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Pigs in blankets. I'm sorry. They're sausage rolls. With no skins in the meat. And they're no more an item that should be served with dinner. At best, they are a snack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭NSAman

Mushroom homemade soup. Served with cream and homemade bread.

Turkey stuffed with grapes and roasted with wine, ham (soaked for 24 hours) boiled, then cloved and roasted, roast potatoes, brussel sprouts, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and thick gravy….

meat sweats are required 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Starving reading all the above, yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Prawn starter

Turkey & Ham, mash & roast potatoes, few horrible brussel sprouts, broccoli carrots, stuffing and gravy.

Mixture of deserts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Charcuterie board with Prosecco as starter. Easiest with a crowd.

Turkey, Ham, bread stuffing, bread sauce, gravy, cranberry sauce (home made) and sprouts (boiled a bit then sautéed in butter, lemon and chopped almonds) Honey glazed carrots (for son in law who doesn't like sprouts) as main served with a decent Pinot Noir

Plum pudding with either cream (or custard with brandy for me) served with Sauternes.

Cheeseboard (Shropshire, Coolatin Cheddar and Mature Gouda) (because those are my favourites and I buy the cheese) with a nice vintage or LBV Port

We cook the Ham and have it for dinner on Christmas Eve with buttery mashed potatoes and braised cabbage.

On Stephens day when daughter with shellfish allergy isn't there we have a prawn cocktail for starters!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's a very Brehon Irish xmas dinner!! (with a few exceptions)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Turkey, ham, sage and onion stuffing with sausage meat, roast potatoes, creamy mash potatoes, honey glazed baby carrots, sprouts with pancetta, marrowfat peas, and gravy.

Usually have dessert later, and have options of christmas pudding or mince pies, or for those who don't like them, there is cheesecake, apple tart or trifle.

Same again on New Years Day, only swap the turkey and ham for roast beef.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

For me it's;

Turkey, Ham, Stuffing, Roast Potatoes, Mash Potatoes, Honey Roasted Carrots, Sprouts with Pancetta and Irish Bacon pieces, cranberry sauce and white sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

starters Prawn cocktail for others, vol au vents for myself maybe some picky bits if we are peckish

Turkey, ham, sage and onion stuffing with roast potatoes, creamy mash potatoes, honey glazed carrots, York cabbage and home made gravy.

Usually have some after eights after dinner dessert later, a few options millionaire shortbread, cheesecake, profiteroles and an ice cream option like HB Romantica

Same again on Stephen’s Day and New Years Day pretty much the same but maybe beef or lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭brokenbad

No Starter

Mains - Turkey, Ham, Roast Potatoes, Sage & Onion Stuffing, Baby Carrots, Sprouts, Marrowfat Peas, Gravy

Dessert - Viennetta & Jelly (Usually an hour or so after the dinner!)

St. Stephens Day - repeat of above!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I will never accept or understand cranberry sauce anywhere near a Christian dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Most so called Irish Christmas traditions are Victorian English imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Didn’t realise marrowfat peas were still so popular. I love them, but I thought they might be seen as a bit old-fashioned or something. Sort of from the same era as Birds Custard, Jelly and peaches from a can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,654 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The modern brussels sprouts aren't the same brussels sprouts of old, I was interested to read recently.

They have been cross-bread with less nasty tasting varieties over the last 20 years or so, and are now a more mellow little fella than the angry-little-cabbage that they used to be.

I like them now but I'll par-boil and then pan-fry them with nutmeg and parmasan and chestnuts, if they are in-stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

You're getting outraged at something you've made up. Nobody is talking a out the American pigs in blankets which are like sausage rolls but the sausage does have a skin.

The pigs in blankets other posters are referring to are these things

which are the UK/Ireland versions.

Never seen them on a Christmas dinner here (probably because we have the ham) nor have I seen the 'chipolata' which seems to be English for sausage roll. More of a party food thing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

The nicest sprouts I have found are tesco's frozen button sprouts. I cook them in a steamer then toss them in the pan for a few minutes with the pancetta. Or nice on their own! Nice and sweet flavoured. Might try them with chestnuts, if they have them in Aldi this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Turkey ham roasties mash carrots peas Brussels sprouts gravy

Afters is pudding and cream.

Ha is cooked couple.of days before in water and finished in oven.

Love Christmas dinner😋😋

Well if the guts of 180 years doesn't count as a tradition, nothing will. Turkey wasn't the norm in the UK or Ireland until 70 years ago, so no Victorians there. And the OP's dinner isn't traditionally Irish even for 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Never heard of pigs in blankets until I worked in UK. I was raised in Dublin perhaps they were popular outside Dublin.

• Advertisement

No, they weren't popular anywhere in the country.

Advertisement