Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Brolly calls JP McManus out over GAA donations

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Whatever people think about Brolly, is he wrong and, if so, why? (Personally I think he is 100% correct in calling out a tax exile when they try and buy their way)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Brolly knows better (or should know better) than the average journalist in terms what Non-Resident tax status actually means, but instead he's happy to paint a false picture to get a few more clicks on his articles.

Non-resident status means that McManus still has to pay Irish tax on any Irish incomes that he has and on any capital gains from selling Irish properties. It just means that his non-Irish incomes (such as those earned in the USA, the UK or in Switzerland) aren't subject to Irish taxes. The moral outrage over Ireland not being able to tax incomes from other jurisdictions is a joke.

Are we arguing that every Irish emigrant in London, Sydney or Vancouver should be paying Irish taxes on their English, Australian or Canadian incomes also?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,680 ✭✭✭buried

If he's so concerned about tax exiles, why is he limiting his concern solely to McManus?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

That's whataboutery. He is a GAA pundit and he is criticising a tax exile (despite his claims to the contrary!) who is buying favour by giving money to areas of his own choosing which in this case is the GAA. What other tax exiles are currently donating significant amounts of money to Irish sporting bodies?

Whataboutery my crack. He WAS a GAA pundit. He is currently a pontificating loud mouth spewing out whatever takes his fancy from day to day.

As I've said, If he's so f**king concerned about the tax intake of this country, how literally the richest corporations on the planet use this country as a tax haven for THEIR own ends, why wasn't he pontificating about that for the last 30 years? Show me where he did it.

You can't, So it's not about tax exiles then, is it?

So spare me your own "whatabaddery"!

• Advertisement

He is still a pundit whether you like it or not - you clearly dont like him but again that doesn't mean he is not a GAA pundit. That he is no longer on RTE does not mean that he is no longer a pundit. Sure even his role at the Indo is all about GAA...

As for his article - this was in relation to the GAA and how one tax exile is donating money to it. Why would he comment on rich corporations given that they aren't giving money to the GAA?

I know full well he's a "pundit". But he is not a sole "pundit" of the GAA is he? What else has he been currently being a "pundit" about? Plenty of current affairs that have nothing to do with the GAA. So he wants to be up in everything concerned with the state of the nation, yes? If he's so concerned about tax exiles and how they affect the country, why is he only concerned about it now? Why wasn't he concerned about it the last 30 years, he's had plenty ample opportunity.

He wasn't concerned about it because he isn't concerned about it. All that concerns him is being a pathetic pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I believe they have lots of Catholic charities that donate to many different areas and provide funding for Catholic volunteers.

https://www.catholicireland.net/organisations/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,957 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah and how much just gets funnelled back to Rome?

Life ain't always empty.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread title updated to reflect what the OP seems to want everyone else to discuss

• Advertisement
Advertisement