Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Brolly calls JP McManus out over GAA donations

Options
  • 17-12-2023 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Article in todays Independent , Joe Brolly calls out JPs donations to GAA for what they are . Discuss .

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,033 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Haven't read it, behind a pay wall.

Can you tell us what he said?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Discuss

No.

how about:

• A link to the article
    • A sumnary of the points raised
    • Some of your own opinions on the matter to kick things off.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

"Behind a paywall"!? The Sunday independent has been "behind a paywall" since it's formation. The paywall is it's entire business model!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There's already at least one thread about this topic anyway. I hardly think JB's contribution will be so stellar as to have changed the issue enough to warrant a new thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Read it this morning. Brolly has a point but his writing style is terribly constipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Hank the DJ

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Everything Joe Brolly says should be ignored. The fact he's a popular figure in Irish media is baffling to me, I've always been immune to his perceived charms.

JP McManus could easily live as he is and not donate a penny to any organisation in Ireland, with the way the laws are he owes this country absolutely nothing.Also Ireland is itself a tax haven for companies so we can't exactly be getting all huffy if some of our own citizens decide to live in tax havens. At least he's actually contributed something to the country over the years, I'm sure their are plenty of other wealthy Irish citizens who contribute zero to this country either through tax or philanthropy.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭knockoutned

You would think that on the online version they would have redacted the bank account information in the picture. I am sure JP is questioning his decision on giving Roscommon money.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Joe Brolly's sole purpose in life is to dream up the hottest of hot takes for any given situation. He's constantly looking for a different angle, typically the most self righteous one at that.

JPs tax status is either may bother you or it might not - either way it's completely separate and irrelevant to this donation, which was very generous regardless of his tax status or how much money he has in his bank account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Haven't read the article but I'm sure Joe discusses JP's tax affairs however another factor is JP has poured millions into Limerick GAA skewing the field which has been fairly criticised; now he throws a bun to every other county...why ? So he can feel better about it ?

Whats to stop some other multibillionaire throwing millions at his pet county ...and where does this leave the alleged amateur status of the organisation?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Discuss.

1) Didn't provide a link

2) Article is paywalled

3) Didn't offer any opinion

Are you trying to get banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭cnoc

If rich people want to help out their counties then fair play to them.He's been pumping money into Limerick GAA for donkey's years and it's only having a big impact now so it isn't exactly a quick fix Man City/Chelsea/PSG type solution, All of Limerick's players are from Limerick itself they're not paying for players from Cork and Tipp to come play for them.

They've managed to revive a county which was a complete basket case for a large period of time and where the county team were a complete shambles at the start of the 2010's.The revival of Limerick into a big hurling force has been great for the sport as it's certainly better than the traditional big 3 dominating all the time and itls good to see the sport thriving in one of the countries biggest cities where it looked in the past to be dieing and falling in popularity due to the popularity of Munster's rugby team.If his money has helped boost the sport in Limerick and get more kids interested in GAA then that can only be good for the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭geographica

Will the county boards be paying tax on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,071 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If he didn't do a "call out" video, then I'm not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭mulbot

And the biggest tax dodger of all, the Irish Catholic church,who do actually reside here, never give a penny out-

• Registered Users Posts: 85,112 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought it was about Joe Duffy 🙈

Joe Brolly thinks GAA after all the money they can get and who would buy on old stadium seat

I suppose local small clubs could go with help and investment

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Many billionaires did. It's just Limerick spent it better. Let's not forget Clare had Kinnerk and told him to fek off.

Kerry Group for Kerry, O'Donnell in Clare, Brady's, O'Carrolls, Supermacs, the Yank from Leitrim, Barry's Tea in Cork, O'Moore's, Aronmore, Kingspan etc.

The vast majority of GAA sponsorship is philanthropy based or geographically based. I'm on the "pay your taxes in Ireland" side but to ball your eyes out like a baby because Limerick are winning is just pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What limits my interest in Joe Brolly. Is that there is always something wrong with him.

When someone is always complaining, it's hard to pay attention.

Who is bawling ? I really don't care either way ...The sponsors you mention mainly take the attitude of getting maximum exposure for the minimum investment as any business would , JP as a fan and philanthropist focused millions of investment in Limerick and got results ...my point is that this seems to go against the ethos of the organisation in general ...the million for every county may be his way of giving balance but is that giving big money too much power in an amateur sport .

• Registered Users Posts: 40,159 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So, complaining that he gave too much to limerick and still complaining when he gives an equal amount to each county? That sounds like Joe Brolly alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭chrisd2019

Man who gets paid, to fill a sheet of paper or a webpage tries to grab some attention for himself. Am sure JP will not be too worried about it to be honest.

TBF he gave millions to Limerick...a millìon to every other county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭randd1

Joe Brolly loves to see Joe Brolly write articles about Joe Brolly for media exposure for Joe Brolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ULEZ23

some say Joe brolly holds the record for the most amount of blocked Twitter users. The man doesn’t like to be questioned.

i got blocked for asking about the well known video doing the rounds of him in a lap dancing club groping a woman when he was married. It was in reply to a vomit inducing article about Derry club football where he championed wholesome small village ethos, complete opposite to the video of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Headline kinda assumes we know these people without their full names. I first thought it was Joe Rogan calling out Jordan Peterson.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

If Ireland is a tax haven why are these people moving abroad?

• Advertisement

It's a tax haven for a lot of international companies.

Advertisement