Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV Depreciation 2023

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BMW the same. Have a new 220i this week. All screen nearly as many buttons as a Tesla!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,901 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

er im not attacking you just making an observation anyway we have sorted it out, carry on Woodie😀

im a bit like you, tend to go towards the german brands, like i know the BYD seal is a much better value proposition than a bmw i4 but id still probably go for the BMW, i do need to get over that!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭maidhc

I don’t know how the Chinese cars are avoiding the stigma of being inferior.

Few truckers will compare a “Sino” to their Scania or Volvo (and will proudly say their Volvo is an actual Volvo made by Volvo). Equally a Chinese piece of Agri or construction equipment is valueless secondhand compared to a more recognised brand.

Are we too trusting of MG/BYD etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭djan

I'd argue it's mostly to do with with propaganda and marketing. For the vast majority of cars, regardless of badge the components and especially drivetrains/batteries in EVs are from China. I don't think the likes of Tesla are seen as inferior due to using Chinese batteries.

The issue with perceiving Chinese made stuff as low quality is because people often think of the low end cheap stuff. More often than not, for equal price you'll get a lot more than EU products.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I don't think it's a simple question.

Supplying components under the QA and processes of an established brand is very different. The quality of Apple versus the Chinese own brands and support and infrastructure is very different.

The problem with Chinese cars is they don't have a long history in the market. Their track record within China itself is "mixed". So there are issues.

That said the traditional western car brands have been having problems with QA and various issues which have damaged their status in the market relative to the Chinese brands. Tesla is whole different non-traditional model.

It's a market in flux, maybe it will be turned on it's head, maybe that has already happened, maybe it will return to how it's been in the past. You'd need a crystal ball to predict it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Biggest fear of SINO etc. with Truckers will be availability of spare parts in the long term.

It's been an issue with some EVs (not specifically Chinese) not having parts in the supply chain for repairs making them so expensive as to be write offs.

We have seen some repair shops offering refurbishment of parts, batteries and motors etc. But ironically they are struggling to get the volumes to make the repair business viable. Open to correction on that.

That said we've seen some supply issues with ICE car parts holding up repairs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭traco

This is just repeating history, similar to Japanes cars and bikes. Started copying but quickly moved to innovating. Now Japanese is probably considered better built than European.

These circular discussions are a wate of time. EVs are simpler and will get cheaper as tech moves and the manufacturing process gets more efficient. The post covid madness isover and I am delighted that the ridiculous price inflation by many manufacturers is now clearly visible. The established manufacturers will react and prices overall for regular cars will drop from all brands. 3/4 year old cars will be 50% of their new equivalent and that alignment will start to happen this year and going forward.

Dismissing something from China just becasue its China or anywhere else makes no sense. Dismiss it on the merits of the materials, finish, reliability etc for a valid disucssion or else just say you don't line products from a particular country which if absolutley fine but has no brearing on the quality of the product.

I think the future looks great for good quality affordable EV motoring.

Japanese stuff was different. Came out of the gate being seen as more reliable, a known QA process. Just not original.

That's not been true of Chinese goods in general (excluding EVs).

EVs is a different market. Tesla has redefined what a car can be, part of that is not building to the same traditional quality. Chinese are mirroring that. As are VW with their IDs.

That's very different to what happened in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭sk8board

Speaking of trucks, didn’t Harris group on the Long Mile Road start importing Hino’s 40 years ago from china, and I don’t remember there being any issue with perception or parts :)

on the flip side, I’ve a 50yo friend who know nothing about cars but loves his Mercedes e class. He wouldn’t even know what a byd was.

you have to think about the mass market buyer when considering who will buy Chinese cars here - almost everyone would without a second thought.

early Hyundai/Kias?

dacia?

etc

they sell in large volumes due to being well prices and decent spec. A basic mode of transport. tick ✅.

• Advertisement

Perhaps because 40yrs ago they didn't have Brexit, COVID, shipping attacks, Yadda, and a new product every 5 mins to make a support logistics a nightmare.

Japanese imports when they first arrived had lots of problems with non standard parts. Because the Japanese had much shorter product lifecycles. Europe had 2 models in the same time Japan had 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭traco

Early jap stuff also started dissolving in our climates almost immediately when off the boat if I recall.

I disagree about China quality. I'm trying on a phone made in China. My last one was a Chinese made phone and I changed as battery life was greatly reduced. I've had industrial equipment made in China and come to the conclusion that it's as good as European stuff once you ask them to use better components. There seem to be two tiers targetted at least products I have worked with. Domestic market price and then export. Export typical a few % more expensive and tighter control. To me it's just marketing now and perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭joe1303l

HINO are a Japanese manufacturer of trucks with an enviable reputation for longevity. NLA in Europe due to emissions regulations.

That's not a quality issues it's a rust proofing issue because we salt our roads and they don't. They also don't keep cars as long. So they don't need it.

I'm not sure how "tighter control" & "better components" is just marketing and perception.

I'm on decent older Chinese phone. Last security update was march 2023. They update the bloat apps constantly though.

Hino or it's parent company have been around since 1917 and in Ireland 50 years. It has long history here.

How long have MG (Chinese) and BYD been in Ireland? Asking how established a brand is, when it's only just arrived (relatively speaking) is a bit of a daft question. Give it time. MG is well regarded by anyone with decent mileage on one. Byd are undercutting everyone else on bang for buck.

The SIAC vans (LDV or whatever) are pretty grim and badly made. I have sat in more than one for work, and my work involves people in fancy dress and wigs…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭sh81722

It's a learning process for the Chinese, the same as what happened with Japanese back in 1960's. The first Datsuns were copies of British cars bit like the SAIC was a microwaved LDV from 1990's.

Except Datsun made the leylands better, siac made them somehow worse. My only point is a BYD isn’t a BMW.

While the parts issue isn’t as pressing with cars as most other things, one thing that will harm long term depreciation is issues with parts; you need only look at Saab or those Chryslers in this respect.

You never heard of saic motors but speak authoritatively about mg? Alrighty then!

• Advertisement

Not sure why you think knowing a bit about MG EV cars via long term reviews and owner reports should give me insight into every part of a vast corporation like SIAC, or even of their vans.

One branch make buses and trolley buses. Should expect a test about those?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Anyone I know who had issues with their i4 (which happens to be a lot of people) often spent months waiting for parts. In my own case over 3 months.

Maybe my experience is different from yours but anyone thinking that the so called legacy brands are offering a superior customer experience or higher quality product is stuck in a view that was typical of many years ago.

Those days are gone IMHO, and I speak as someone who's driven German cars for 20+ years including two i4s.

No, I’m just pointing out that saic vans are rubbish, so there is a chance their cars are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

All vans are rubbish nowadays, I manage the fleet in work of about 25 of them, trouble with every brand they're a pain trying to keep on the road

I think we are broadly on the same wave length. Just not enough experience with the new brands to know for sure how good they will be.

But the established brands have their own problems. Nothing is what is was.

It's not just EVs either. Had enough problems with my recent ice cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭sh81722

I think the new cars have finally reached the point where the cost reduction and the aim for low fuel consumption and increased complexity of systems has finally reached the point that the cars are not fully up the job anymore, reliably.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

So it was 16k trade value for the iD3? Or am i reading it correctly?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Isn't the box where it says Deposit/Part Exchange and the handwritten note (car/grant) the value of the posters ID.3. Grant is currently €3,500 giving the car a trade value of €28,000. The settlement box means the poster still has €20,847.68 to pay of the remaining finance leaving them with €7,152.32 equity in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,901 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

thats what i thought as well (unless they were also adding a cash deposit?)

Advertisement