Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Laura Whitmore and vogue Williams would be a nightmare pairing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squonk

Marty Morrissey! A great big Eurovision Marty Party! If he can manage cidered up GAA fans after a match, he’ll have no bother with the Eurovision circus! 😀

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Nowhere near being the best song. Would've been a borderline qualifier if sang by any other country in normal circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

thing is if people are boycotting eurovision because of Israel. that reduces the overall vote making it easier to skew (or the people voting are more disposed to voting Israel)

or am I being simplistic

Post edited by ednwireland on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

can we not just get some of our 80 million irish diaspora abroad to fire some votes our way on saturday now that the world can vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I wonder if people might come back once it gets around how manipulated legitimately or not Italys vote was.

I also am suspicious of that number regardless and don't think it would be beyond some of israels more loosely associated security firms to have been involved in somehow adjusting things. While I don't doubt they have support for political reasons but 39% compared to Ukraines 25% is highly suspicious in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I didn't realise that was a thing now - so the rest of the world counts as 1 country for points, and they need to vote before the Grand Final starts.

Voting for viewers in non-participating countries – Rest of The World - will open after the end of the transmission of Dress Rehearsal 2 of the Grand Final, the previous evening, and close at the beginning of the Live broadcast. 

The Audience in each participating country will award a total of 58 points (1 – 8, 10 and 12). 37 countries x 58 points = 2,146 points from the national audiences of the participating countries.

The Audience voting online from non-participating countries (Rest of The World) will also award a total of 58 points (1 – 8, 10 and 12).

https://eurovision.tv/about/voting-malmo-2024

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭archfi

Maybe televotes aren't the way to go (though I believe EBU will never let that go) and not solely if it turns out Israel will be the beneficiaries of a non-song related televote lift, this type of thing was started with Ukraine's totally undeserved win two years ago at a song contest.

Politicise something as benign as a song/entertainment contest and this will be what you get going forward.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

I’ve never really agreed with the “Rest of World” televote. IMHO it should be restricted to EBU member countries. Tge EBU will never agree because it’s lucrative I’m sure but it really does open up the possibility of targeted voting.

Earlier it was mentioned as a bit of craic that we could get our diaspora to vote for us. Great idea but we don’t care enough and our diaspora likely care even less. You could say the same for Portugal and Spain who could potentially tap into a massive native speaking audience in South America. Again, doesn’t happen. They don’t care.

What it does mobilise though is any number of actors with a vested, and probably political, interest in the final result. The Rest of Workd vote must be a big win for them. So many extra fronts to achieve what they want. So the net result is a politically motivated vote at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

it would seem from the Italy voting numbers that basically the numbers of people voting in the semi finals is very low, its harder to skew the final

other than that, the Israeli song was probably the best one on the night, followed by the Estonian one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Israel are fighting a war for survival.

Mossad are not going to be bothering to manipulate the Eurovision. They probably have bigger tasks at hand.

It's a good enough song is the biggest part but there are other factors

The anti Israel thing is a niche view, a well heeled view, there just happens to be more working class and lower middle class people in societies and when they bother to turn out and vote it creates shock waves.

It's a class divide that delivered for the Israeli song, the perennial outraged will still be outraged, out protesting, out partying and living in their bubble world whether Israel does well or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

It wouldn’t help. Thing is you can’t vote against a country, only for. There will be almost 30 countries competing so the vote is split. Apparently there are Facebook pages etc set up encouraging people to vote Israel who normally wouldn’t give a **** about Eurovision. After last nights leak there’s more wind behind the sails for that happening and it’s all over social media. On the other side there’s now people pushing for people to vote for Croatia to stop Israel winning. I’ve even seen numerous comments from people saying there were voting for Ireland but now for Croatia. Not sure how much that will actually happen though.

Unless the Italians come out and say that leaked voting is inaccurate it will be between Croatia and Israel. From an Irish perspective, we had a good chance of possibly winning, top 5 anyway but I honestly think there would be more chance of Dustin the turkey winning next year because of the politics.

Israel are most definitely not fighting a war for survival! Palestine on the other hand…

• Registered Users Posts: 72,168 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Witness the majesty once again… 🙂

Fantastic performance, catchy chorus, audience going crazy, not taking himself too seriously, ‘HEY!’, the part that goes a bit ‘2 Unlimited’, the heartfelt ending…

Just give him the trophy!! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

I thought that the organisers would let Israel sing and eliminate them before the final for a quiet life. But Israel qualifying for the final has now created more interest in Eurovision than I’ve seen in a long time.

yup. It’s not good interest though. It also throws the credibility of tge competition into question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

about 170 million people watched it last year, that's a lot of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭supereurope

The good news is Nicky Byrne seems to have ended his presenting career, so unlikely. Had we won in say, 2017, he definitely would have been in the presenter lineup.

The answer would be anyone who's currently in favour at RTÉ, and that unfortunately would mean someone like Jennifer Zamperelli. And you'd know Lottie Ryan would be straight to the papers and social media with a sob story about how it would be a "wonderful tribute" to her father if she had the chance to do the job he did in 1994.

Things have changed a lot since we last hosted too, RTÉ always chose a presenter (or one presenter if a duo) who was a strong Irish speaker, but I don't see that being a factor anymore. Being a decent French speaker isn't so important nowadays either because there's not much French spoken anymore. Also, the Irish Eurovision presenters of the past were mostly newsreaders and continuity announcers, but I don't see RTÉ going down that path anymore either (especially with in-vision continuity gone.) It's becoming increasing common for the presenters not to be presenters anymore as well, by which I mean the job isn't being given to people who are experienced at fronting shows. For example, Nikkie de Jager from 2021 is a YouTuber, Laura Pausini from 2022 is a singer, Hannah Waddingham from last year is an actress, as in one half of this year's presenting duo. So the job might not actually go to a familiar RTÉ face, and we could end up with an actor or (help us) a podcaster or reality TV personality.

Post edited by supereurope on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They are fighting a war of survival in that they want to end the survival of the palestinian people and their state.

Also i never mentioned Mossad as i doubt they would risk being tarred with this but there's a good many of loosely affiliated orgs full of ex mossad and unit 8200 members that would absolutely be involved in subverting something like this to boost the apparent popularity of their governments genocidal rampage.

• Advertisement

Don't even say things like that! Throw in Doireann Garrihy or Joanne McNally to make it the ultimate nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Hamas and their Palestinian cheerleaders are great supporters of music festivals, aren’t they?

Israel has bought into the Eurovision ethos since the 1970s, with great songs and entertaining performers.
    I can’t see Hamas/Palestine ever being as welcoming to the Eurovision ethos of openness and equality.

Same, I also got the feeling Graham saw presenting Eurovision as a "one and done" job, and he's not going to be the next Petra.

Patrick Kielty would be a good bet, in the spirit of cross-border co-operation, and it's not been uncommon over the years to see the presenter of the winning country's national final then host Eurovision the following year.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Joost didn't perform in this afternoon's dress rehearsal. The running order went straight from Luxembourg to Israel with no explanation. Speculation that a potential withdrawal is happening, but the real reason will likely prove to be much less dramatic.

He was pretty shi77y at a press conference a while ago, maybe we was off his head on something.

ah I hope he’s ok and that he’ll still make the final.

I didn’t see the full press conference but Dons took a bit of a dig at Israel too. It’s hard going having to sit next to Israel.

He probably just enjoyed himself last night. Most acts through from SF2 tend to do the bare minimum at the Friday afternoon dress rehearsal. The real test is tonight's dress rehearsal. This is recorded as the production backup, so if he's not there, he's out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What's the precedent if an act does drop out for whatever reason between now and the Final? One less song in the Final or they go next down the list from the Semi?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement