Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I did find it hard to hear the israeli song over the deafening silence of the hundreds if not thousands of dead children

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

Apparently there is a bit of a panic in Eurovision headquarters around last night's vote, serves them right.

Reporting has it that entire political blocs voted for wholly political reasons without ever even watching, and looking likely to repeat across the continent.

How they didn't forsee this, as a possibility, is stunning. There's an obvious pro Israel candidate which certain groups are going to rally around and, outside a concentration of votes to a particular act, there is no balancing alternative (but even that would make a mockery of the competition).

By insisting on being "Non political" they've opened it up to political voting, concentrated on one side.

Ah well; will be fun to see the fallout, at least, if it happens

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Yeah except it looks like the voting is going to be compromised by politics, with no way to balance it. Like it or not we're stuck here

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭squonk

were places like Russia and the US able to vote last night? If so, I can’t imagine how they didn’t foresee issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,575 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I am assuming a lot more votes are cast in the finals than semis on televotes, so I'm guessing such political voting may be diluted significantly not just by the juries but by number of votes cast.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

It's the concentration which would be the issue though.

Other votes will be diluted by preference across several acts.

If israel win I dont honestly see how eurovision survives

Outside of the Scooter-esque Netherlands entry there should be, on merit, no qualifiers to challenge the 1st semifinal favourites.

While there was a very weak 2nd half to semifinal 1, it was overall better than SF2

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Israel will do well from the people's vote but be hammered by the Juries who are more readily identified and would face a backlash professionally and safety wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Libertine07

I'm very worried about tomorrow to be honest, that Italian vote and Israel shooting up the odds has really put a downer on this after all the excitement earlier this week.

Not sure why UK were given the best first half slot instead of us, but 10th isn't terrible I suppose.

It's not realistic to think we can win, but I'd be happy with top ten and over the moon with top five.

All my votes will go to Croatia tomorrow, it needs to win the televote ahead of Israel.

Well done EBU, these are the consequences of your appalling decisions.

• Advertisement

It’s a big problem for sure. Things won’t be any better this time next year and Israel will be a problematic venue. The EBU made this problem themselves though.

I think they need to revise the non political criteria. Any country engaged in an active war with a neighbour or on its territory should be excluded. I know that’s bye bye Ukraine too but if a Ukraine win was ok, an Israeli win should also be by the same token.

The difference being though that Ukraine is fighting an aggressor whereas on balance, Israel is the aggressor. Probably both Ukraine and Russia should have been excluded for neutrality sake, and you’d then be able to exclude Israel under the same pretext.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,049 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If Israel does win it's gonna be funny to watch the "it's not political" people use the victory to float about the state of Israel and its policies.

Ukraine won their semi final place with 25% of the public vote in Italy and proceeded to win the final with an overwhelming number, if Israels vote around the rest of europe comes anywhere close to the 39% they got in Italy last night the juries wont matter unless they all privately agree to each give 1 country their top spot

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Very naïve of the EBU to think that sticking a few banners up 'United in Music' was going to have much effect. One thing the Israelis are good at (apart from seizing land & war) is using the diaspora around the globe to rally about them. Poisonous situation will arise again on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

@Quantum Erasure Not a mod any more, I'm afraid. Just a regular user now. 🙂

Report any posts that you think need action, and the TV mods will take a look. Don't expect them to be actively reading every busy thread - it just doesn't happen (especially on a Friday/Saturday night more than any other night).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,049 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We need to get the anti Israel vote behind Bambi 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

She's some singer in fairness ffs though I don't bet on horses due to dodge now it's here as well.. Lol the face on the gimp beside her

https://youtube.com/shorts/u33pdlZhpPU?si=A0lFtRppVCPpB4Lu

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Well, already booked the AirBnB for Tel Aviv next year.

Nice to all the whingers getting their wings clipped, it's a song contest, last night Israel had the best song, it's that simple

🤣

But even that compromises the competition. Outside voting blocs you want a song to take it fairly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Sigma101

All controversy aside, the Swedes put on a great spectacle last night. The interval act and guest singers were brilliant, and Petra stole the show.
    Switzerland, Armenia and Estonia all good last night but I've a new favourite. Euro-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,370 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Out of interest guys.

How do ye think Bambi will poll with the juries?

Delighted for Armenia. They really are doing their own thing but it’s very different and I like it.

It didn't work for me, but I respect that they did something different instead of generic EuroPop. Norway similar.

I hear you. Definitely a niche taste. For me it reminded me of some of the stuff Andy Irvine & Dónal Lunny would have played back in the day. I guess they had kind of tuned my ear into that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭DaSchmo

Going on youtube hits we're still neck and neck with Croatia on 4.2m each. Israel may have done well last night but the youtube video is comparatively low for the same time the next day with about half a million hits as of just now. Both the others had more than a million by this time the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

For those who still dream, who would host next year if we won.

Had the discussion with the missus last night, I offered up Graham Norton but got shot down.

The consensus we came to was Nicky Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 72,286 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Armenia, then…

Probably to appreciate the Armenian song in full I'd need to have poured myself a dram of their Armenian 5 star "cognac" made "with grapes from the plains of Ararat". I picked up a bottle a while back in a Polonez store that opened up in the area.

Patrick Kielty in Belfast so we split the costs with the BBC…

I got the feeling Graham happier behind the microphone at Liverpool.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement