Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Israeli delegation out saying Joost doesn't deserve to breathe next to them.....

Add that to the reported abuse they are giving not only other contestants but many journalists with zero consequences it's displaying how bought and paid for the EBU is by its main sponsor.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Apart from the Eurovision songs does she have much of a back catalogue?

Was supposed to see Lord of the Lost support Iron Maiden last year but my car broke down and was late getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭mollser

This is in my top3, I think it's an unbelievable tune. Very Muse esque. It's hated in my house otherwise though! Addicted to the czechia number as well, it's a cracker. And bambie rounds out my top 3. That Dutch song is absolutely horrendous!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I will say I did listen to last year’s Norwegian entry. The small girl who I’ve actually watched her music videos. I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I wouldn't go with Patrick Kielty, he sounds like he's still learning to read off the autocue, even when he's ad libbing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,208 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

From a purely musical point of view, finding it hard to see why Hurricane is 2nd favourite… it's totally fine, she has a nice voice, but it's quite generic and bland. Feels like a song I've heard a thousand versions of before in past Eurovisions.

Even just this year, Serbia, Portugal, and Slovenia etc with quite similar fare. Slovenia being my favourite of that subcategory I think, doing something a little different at times at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

She has some other excellent songs.

Two other ones she entered in Melodifestivalen but they didn't qualify "my heart is refusing me" and "statements" they would have both done pretty well imo. I also love "paper light (higher)".

• Registered Users Posts: 72,207 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Agreed - I could name at least TEN songs in tomorrow’s final that are far better. Even limiting the group to solo female singers, she would be down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,274 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 24,846 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya but we are pulling from a very shallow pool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,207 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Had tickets for Voyager, but the tour was cancelled due to Danny’s ongoing cancer treatment.

Speaking of which, he is the spokesperson for the Australian jury tomorrow night. 🙂

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Good to hear that, meant check Voyager out but forgot.

Saw Lordi in 2013 and Cathy Jordan sing a few years ago, they are the only Eurovision acts I've seen live.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,299 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I can't see whatever stunt Joost is tryna pull helping him which should help Bambi to see on her main competitors implode.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭supereurope

"…skin of her teeth" Considering the semi results are secret until after the final, how exactly does the Liberal know that Bambie qualified by the skin of their teeth? They were called ninth, but that doesn't mean they finished ninth. Bambie could have been in the top 3 with the public.

** Before anyone says anything, I used "her" because that's what the headline says…I know that's incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭boetstark

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭corkie

https://www.thejournal.ie/eurovision-ebu-svt-israel-performance-sound-issues-6376520-May2024/

For sure, we wholeheartedly believe EBU/SVT?

“The EBU and SVT encourage all audiences to attend in the spirit of the Contest, embracing its values of inclusivity, celebrating diversity and being United By Music.”

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ EU Digital ID ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

It's nuts how some people are like; "genocide" grand. "spiralling wealth gap" no bother. "ever escalating climate crisis" okey dokey. "subtle linguistic adaptation" World's gone maaaad!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I hope everyone votes for Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭delboy85

I really hope Bambi does well tomorrow night.

Left side of the scoreboard would be great.

Top 10 would be fantastic and anything above that would be a bonus.

I think the song is far too divisive to be in contention for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭supereurope

Top 10 is definitely possible, but tbh after a couple of very bad years for Ireland at Eurovision, I'm taking just being there on Saturday night as a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Finally a song that gets what Eurovision is all about!Absolutely brilliant!

Just praying we get to hear it tomorrow night so I can give Joost my 12 points and it will be absolutely electric in the arena if he is allowed compete!!!

Euro-pa-pa Euro-pa-pa!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭REDBULL68

It's riged, Croatia the best tune ,followed by Bambi ,No way Europe voted for Israel, joke of a competition now .this will be the end tomorrow if Israel win ,as everyone will realise its a joke .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Best northern lights in 20 years Cresent moon had a few bailey's put another 20 e on Bambi at 20 1 crown de witch it's written in the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

turning into a bit of a mess by the EBU, voting has been delayed now, so us “world people” have less time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

Best of luck to Bambie. I am so intrigued to see how the juries will rate Ireland. I have a feeling Bambie could do better with them than people think.

Linda Martin famously won for Ireland in Malmo in 1992, can Bambie do the same?

A lot of strange coincidences between ESC in the early 90s when Linda won and ESC over the last few years.

1990-94

ESC took place against seismic global events that directly impacted the contest (End of Cold War, break up of USSR, disintegration of Yugoslavia)

First ESC of the Decade (1990) was won by Italy with France finishing in 2nd place. (Jointly with Ireland)

Italy hosted a famously shambolic show the following year. Gigliolina Cinquetti was a host. The winner that year (Sweden) had a blue and yellow flag.

Sweden won a highly controversial victory with a female soloist (Carola) on her second time participating at the contest. Many people felt the runner-up (France) should have won. Israel finished 3rd and a Mediterranean (Spain) male soloist finished 4th with a ballad.

UK finished 2nd in 1992 and 1993

Sonia performed 'Better the devil you know' for the UK in 1993

Luxembourg did not take part after 1993

2020-24

ESC took place against seismic global events that directly impacted the contest (Covid, Ukraine, Gaza)

First ESC of the decade (2021) was won by Italy with France finishing in 2nd place.

Italy hosted a famously shambolic show (The black hole sun) with Gigliolina Cinquetti as an interval act. The winner that year (Ukraine) had a blue and yellow flag.

In 2023 Sweden won a highly controversial victory with a female soloist (Loreen) on her second time participating at the contest. Many people felt the runner up (Finland) should have won. Israel finished 3rd and Mediterranean (Italy) male soloist finished 4th with a ballad

UK finished 2nd in 2022.

Sonia performed 'Better the devil you know' when the UK hosted in 2023 as part of interval act.

Luxembourg announced their return to the contest in 2023, returning in 2024.

Last year's thread finished with 103 pages, we've already passed that with the final yet to come.

Even aside from all the non-musical aspects of this years competition, just having an interesting - and frankly much better - song in the competition makes it much easier to buy into. I think even people who don't like it can recognise that there's a lot going on in the track both musically and performatively… like, it feels like there's actually a bit of artistic endeavour in there.

Musical taste is obviously always subjective, often with more complex things (jazz, metal, even classical etc) being more niche, but thankfully judging by all the interest across Europe it seems more people are getting something out of it than aren't, which is all ya can ever ask for really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Freaky things get more attention shock horror. The song is utter garbage.

• Advertisement

Therein lies the beauty of subjective art. One man's garbage is another man's gold.

(Personally it's not exactly the sort of thing i'd normally listen to, but I quite like it - and love the whole brooding balletic production package. And I feel oddly proud that we've sent something more interesting).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement