Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Oddly, was more impressed on Eurosong. Misses the sideways dance move with the other dancers in the chorus.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Where/when did she supposedly say this? Google isn't bringing up anything. I can find articles pointing out the lack of airplay but with no quotes attributed to her. Seems like they're looking for a stick to beat her with.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,384 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

It’s not like Joe to let facts get in the way. 😁

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭fitz

They mentioned it on their Instagram a while back, and tbf, they're not wrong. If Erica Cody had been selected, the song would have been rinsed on radio. But our radio stations are absolutely atrocious, and mostly allergic to anything alternative, so it's not surprising.

Also, I'll say it again...it's they, not she.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,423 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

ABBA won the Eurovison 50 years ago Today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,784 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And I was going to sit down tomorrow night to watch the 1974 Eurovision in full on BBC4 and now it has been spoiled for me! My money was on Olivia Newton John.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,383 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

BBC2 has a full ABBA night tonight to mark the occasion. An especially interesting one is 'When ABBA Came To Britain' at 9.35, a new one hour documentary.

I don't have BBC anymore because of the change over that happened last year.

Always watched the Eurovsion on BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭supereurope

As BBC2 is having an ABBA night tonight, wouldn't it make more sense to air the 1974 replay tonight? As it's the actual anniversary?

Because if a country can't get behind its own song, then what hope does it have of being popular in other countries?

• Advertisement

A song or any artist can be popular outside its own country, for example, Anastasia and The Scissors Sisters, both US artists, had success over here but remain virtually unknown at home. But when it comes to Eurovision, I think it's different. Commentators will often make comments like "This has been a huge hit at home" or (perhaps more common) "They're a huge star in their home country" and I think, on some level, that does impact voter's perceptions of a singer or a song - I think Israel's 2023 song is an example of that - Marty, Scott, Rylan and Graham all mentioned how Noa was a huge pop star in Israel, and I can't help but feel that partly explains why such a mediocre song did so well.

The cover of the RTÉ Guide for the week of Eurovision 1974, along with the rest of the schedule for Eurovision day 1974. Only one channel back then!

For some reason I started a thread about people's Eurovision memories.

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Semi final 1 odds. 13 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

The only reason I can see that Ireland is falling in tbr odds is RTÉ haven’t put any money into their act and that’s starting to show at the European performances. That’s unfair on them and on anyone who puts themselves forward to represent Ireland. Madrid should have been an all guns blazing moment. The content is there and Ireland/Bambie/The Public has taken a risk sending it - it needs proper staging and backup to pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,264 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Who's going to watch the Eurovision 1974 replay on BBC Four tonight? Taking away ABBA, it really was a bonkers edition…France pulled out at the last minute, an unknown Olivia Newton-John sang for the UK, The Wombles were the interval act, the voting system was changed 48 hours before the contest (imagine that now!), Italy couldn't broadcast the contest live because of a divorce referendum and the Portuguese song was later used to start a revolution!

Tina Reynolds was tipped to be in the running for Ireland, but it wasn't to be.

Plus at 7pm, the excellent documentary from a few years back, ‘Flat Pack Pop: Sweden’s Music Miracle’ - all about the songwriting/production team that Denniz Pop put together at Cheiron Studios, including a young Max Martin.

Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,264 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Newstalk have an Abba/Eurovision special on now. In 1974 there was no France, Olivia Newton-John, Italy had the broadcast delayed for a month due to a referendum at time

Also Abba was a canning factory in Sweden at time, and the band were not keen on the name their manager chose for them

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

these were my thoughts exactly….

Are RTÉ really behind the entry…?

I’m not entirely sure what the context of the show in Madrid was, but it looks like Bambi just turned up with an instrumental version of Doomsday Blue on Mp3/CD… and that was it….

I’m starting to get a bit fearful that come the semi final, it’ll just be the exact same as the Eurosong performance where it’s just Bambi & the 2 dancers and that’s it…. (Maybe they make some half decent use of the Malmo staging/visuals, but I fear even that could be various cutlets from the music video).

RTÉ better not fcluck this up…. But I suspect they already are…

• Advertisement

My money’s on Tina Reynolds.

Go, Tina! 😄

”The ABBA group”.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Great footage on BBC 4 now

Bring on Monaco!

ABBA sang Waterloo in English… isn't that cheating?

Can't imagine that would have gone down well with the French, had they bothered to turn up… both the title and language choice.

Loving this footage

Ireland now :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement