Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Needs some serious production.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭supereurope

Fun fact for today, 31 March (what's left of it): the 1979 contest was held on this day, the last contest ever to take place in March. It was also the last contest not to start at 8pm Irish time.

The last contest to be held in April was the 1994 contest in Dublin.

EDIT: just realised after posting that I posted this almost at the exact time the 1979 contest ended in Ireland. It started at 9pm, with the RTÉ Guide saying it was due to end at 11:30pm. It ended up overrunning badly and finished just before midnight.

Post edited by supereurope on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,443 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its not going to be an easy night for whoever is representing Israel.

It wouldn't surprise me if the EBU makes an exception and Israel's performance is prerecorded, or possibly performed live on stage on the night, but viewers see footage from rehearsals, just in case something happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The first Eurovision I remember, albeit very vaugely, I was five. Mainly just Cathal Dunne performing Happy Man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭whatever76

getting a fair few predictions on tik tok feeds from random people - Ireland not landing well … very low in predictions and not even mentioned really. Switzerland is the new favorite !!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I don't really understand Switzerland at all to be honest, it's just a mishmash of too many ideas thrown together, plus I think him prancing around in a tutu is just going to put people off. Maybe it'll grow on me, but right now it's doing nothing for me.

I was reasonably confident about Croatia winning, but his live vocals so far have been pretty underwhelming. It does feel very open this year with no runaway favourite, feels like the kind of year where a contender could emerge during rehearsals and surprise everyone.

I like Switzerland, but I can't see it winning. I just can't see casual viewers going for it, and they make up 90% of the viewers on the night.

Croatia seems to be turning into Austria 2023 - huge early hype but then rapidly loses momentum. It seems Baby Lasagna is lacking in on-stage presence and his live vocals haven't been great.

There's a worrying amount of online fans placing or predicting Ireland 11th in its semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,327 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The live TV version of Doomsday Blue from the Madrid pre-party. The distorted camerawork and special video effects are incredible here - really elevates the performance from what we saw in Eurosong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Thats dire.

I feel there's a bit of Emperors Clothes syndrome afoot here, with the small cohort of Bambi fans looking at her performance with starry-eyed optimism.

Come on, really?. Take away the epileptic camera effects and you don't have much. Not much at all. But, maybe that was the plan all along?

Who knows. At least she has the balls to give it her best shot, considering the almost zero production budget allocated to the performance. What was the budget? The cost of an SM57?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Based on the little we've seen from Bambie's live performances so far I don't think it's looking and sounding great. But, none of this matters until we see it on stage at Eurovision itself. Personally I wish she'd do away with the screaming parts at the end and just sing the song.

I really like the song, it's in my top ten and I'll be genuinely disappointed if she doesn't make the final. She's also gotten so much sh*t across all forms of social media, with some of it even coming from her hometown of Macroom too.

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭ottolwinner

it’s sad that people want to attack someone on social media for representing us at the contest because for some reasons they don’t like it. People have little for doing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭fitz

They, not she. It's really not hard, folks.

Very disturbing to see people like Tommy Robinson criticising Bambie on Twitter. It's none of his business what song Ireland sends to Eurovision, he's just looking to stir (again.)

It's a strong song and is in the top 16 in the betting. Last year's entry from Wild Youth was ultra weak and a rank outsider in the odds - no way is Doomsday Blue some sort of also ran hoping against hope it might snatch 10th place in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭mollser

Re the screaming at the end - this is rather pushed into the background on the recorded version with the repitition of blue being the most pronounced vocal throughout the outro - I hadn't even noticed the screaming until the live version, and think it seriously detracts from what is an otherwise epic finish to the song - I would like them to drop it…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭squonk

BBC R2 are ramping up their coverage now with Scott Mills talking to entrants from various construes over the next while. Today is Switzerland. I hope Bambi gets a look in. Well done BBC.

Problem is it has quite a lengthy instrumental outro for a Eurovision song…..I'm not sure Bambie just moving around while that 'heavy metal' bit is happening would necessarily work.

I was exactly the same! Didn't notice the screaming on the studio version at all so was rather surprised to hear it on the Late Late. As you say yourself it detracts from the closing seconds of the song. I always imagined it finishing with her singing the final verse amid an epic lightshow. With prerecorded backing vocals now allowed they could keep the screaming in the background if they wish. Hopefully this is something that will be realised and corrected in rehearsals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,839 ✭✭✭squonk

hearing the Swiss entry now on BBC it could fe a good live track but doesn’t jump out to me as an obvious winner. It sounds like a crap MIKA ripoff mixed with a boring garage song. It really didn’t hold my attention. Last year’s Swiss entry was one of my favs. Can’t see the live for it. It starts strong but my mind wandered a minute in. Not so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,330 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Betting odds currently for semi final 1...it is the tougher semi....but still…

I'd be amazed if Doomsday landed at 12th or lower in a 100% televoting semi final - it's not as if this semi is bursting with creativity, innovation and artistic flair….quite a few songs here are pretty generic and boring and could have been seen and heard in any of the last five contests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Croatia was a standout performance at the Madrid Euro party imo and the best crowd reaction I think but his voice is not great.

Don't understand the Switzerland hype and that sort of song is difficult to stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,330 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Yeah I am still hopeful we will make the final, as you say it should stand out.

Obviously will be plenty of shifting in odds as well, the songs live can make or break things.

I have been humming along to the Czech song then looked up a live performance...Jesus...Christ...what a Trainwreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭johnire

Finland's song is the worst one this year, and yet it's pretty much guaranteed to qualify in a televote-only semi.

Grim, but this was always going to happen when the EBU dropped juries from the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,336 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Want your blood pressure raised? Then don’t listen to ‘Liveline’ this afternoon.

One of the topics up for discussion is Bambie supposedly complaining that her Eurovision song isn’t getting enough radio airplay.

Joe referring to Bambie Thug as ‘they’ and their song called ‘Doomsday BLUES’.

This should end well. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 28,630 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

but Joe…

What about the poor childers…?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement