Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2024 (Mod warning, see OP updated 10/05 and post #3477 11/05)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

my first time listening to the Netherlands entry properly just now. I'd put Bambie miles ahead of it musically / artistically speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's probably a misunderstanding of the rules and they think they came second last in the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

To me Eurovision is first and foremost a song contest (I know I know tell that to the last 20 years) and this entry relies more on what you see than what you hear. A lot more.

While the lyrics are interesting and credit must be given that it was written by the performer, the sound is just a horrible ordeal for the ears.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I think the song is brilliant. And I heard the song before I ever saw any of the visual aspects to the performance…

Chalk and cheese I guess….

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I’d agree with this. I actually think the last 30 seconds of it in particular are fantastic but I loved metal when I was a kid.

The problem is that Bambi is probably more suited to a Mercury music prize that the Eurovision.

Even by reading this thread it’s evident that people almost have to explain why it’s good and others just think it’s plain rubbish.

I think it’s great we’ve finally sent something decent but I just can’t see it finishing ahead of the likes of Croatia.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,375 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Again, obviously that's subjective. Personally I feel differently, as it would seem do others. I like the song as its own thing, love the sound and the shifting tone (reminds me a little bit of Dave Mustane's change ups on Sweating Bullets), and I love how they brought out the intentions of the song through the performance and production.

And Eurovision has been a performance event for decades - I mean, it's a TV event, not a radio show… it's always been about putting on a show, whether that was dancing or spangly pants or whatever. It's also not like our song has any more production than the others - they all have a bunch of stuff going on. If anything, ours is quite restrained with just 2 characters dancing together, with amazing choreography and makeup/costuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Just saw the odds there on Paddy Power. Israel 2nd favourite? Am I that out of touch? Regardless of whether they should be in it or not, the song is so bland. Its wallpaper. There are so much more interesting songs in the competition.

Also, Bambie down to 19-1? I thought they were 17-2 after their semi. That's some drop.

If Bambi wasn't in the final, I'd be supporting Estonia. That song is a banger.

Is the running order been published yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,375 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, we've got the 10th spot. Not the best, but not the worst since we drew to be in the first half.

Ultimately, I'd be delighted with a decent top-half showing. That would be such a huge improvement on where we've been, and it's lovely to have a bit of a spotlight on us again. Top 10 would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Libertine07

They're not second in the odds based on the quality of the song.

The running order is out, we drew first half and are at #10, which is decent.

A lot of the other favourites are near the end. Switzerland #21, Croatia #23, France #25.

France went under my radar in the build up but it was stunning on Thursday night. It will eat up jury votes, and coming on late after so many crazy and upbeat entries will really make it stand out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It would be an intentional misunderstanding considering who its coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think that is a pretty dated view of what constitutes and tends to do well as a Eurovision song.

Ireland have been sending mostly safe tripe and flopping for years, send something a bit more risky which is well staged and look how things might be going this year.

Its because of the 40% vote they got from Italy in the semi final, something fishy definitely going on there but the bookies adjusted the odds accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There was a theory on twitter that re Israel performed after Italy. Italy not eligible for voting but some people did vote so thinking song 14 was Italy not Israel. Wont know for sure til we get the full SF results if Italy was a freak result.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yeah I saw that, its an interesting one but i'm far from sold on it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Musicrules

I think Israel are going to win. Not because of the song. Not because loads in Europe are pro Israel but because there's a huge amount of anti Muslim hatred in a number of European countries unfortunately. I think Bambi will finish 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

We’ll see. The winning song always has at least a half decent hook in it bar Ukraine a couple of years ago. We don’t have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I agree with the comments on Israel.

They will will, with Ireland coming a possible 3rd after either the Netherlands or Croatia. Israel due to the enormous anti-muslim sentiment across Europe in countries such as Sweden and Denmark. The Netherlands 2nd because of the lead singer's comments to Israel during the press conference and subsequent "punishment" ( ridiculous move on the part of the EBU, only garnering even more support for his actions), Croatia possibly due to the song. It's a typical football stadium chanty anthem. The Eastern Europeans love that auld shtuff)

Ireland 3rd due to the incredible online support.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think we'll come 2nd behind Croatia.

I think you are going to be disappointed I doubt the Netherlands will be competing in live final at this stage.

Top 10 for Ireland very realistic, top 5 possible. Whatever happens Bambie Thug has been excellent and helped rehab our image in Eurovision a bit.

My guess Croatia win, Israel second. Israel scoring a suspiciously high public vote (see Italy slip) but tempered by juries. I think Bambie Thug will do decent with both, so third maybe.

• Advertisement

If people think people are voting Israel due to anti-muslim reasons, I think you'll find the conspiracy forum to your liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I know sms and phone votes are charged.

Anyone use the Eurovision app? Even with the app for voting are there charges?

I like the Ukraine song well the melodic part!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It maybe isn't completely instant but it draws people in with the staging too.

I don't think Ireland will win but top 10 (I have a bet on) and top 5 possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Similarly if you think people are not voting for them due to political reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah similar charge on the app as there is with SMS and calls. I presume it's to stop people from using automated scripts to skew the vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RINO87

For sure. Wouldn't be surprised if they closed the comments at "666" too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I wasn't sure at first if Ireland's entry was Eurovision appropriate, then I remembered Dustin the Turkey and Lordi. Hon Ireland!!!

I just realised the main sponsor (Moroccan Oil) is an Israeli based company.

That is fairly **** for many reasons, EBU. How could they claim impartiality when this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

First of all I read the MOD warning in OP post.

I never had or have any interest in Eurovision.

I am probably living under a rock as I only found out today the question that was asked to the Israeli singer.

It's actually such a disgrace what kind of question she was asked. Asking if she(being Jewish and/or Israeli) represented a security risk to other? Was it some sort of appeasement

Would the same question have been asked to a Muslim woman wearing a Burqa? I don't think so.

I would question who would be the ones creating the risk in the first place. Some people need to understand not everyone is a Muslim and agrees with your thought process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lads what happens if Israel win tonight. Is it held in Israel and even if it isn’t how many countries will boycott it next year ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement