Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence Non-Renewal Next Stage Of Investigation?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

If you care to look above at my post I’ve said similar - doesn’t change the fact that it’s the law and if they do get your name you’ll have the hassle of a court summons - it’s up to you

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

Funny how I never got a summons and I'm no stranger to getting summons. Ignore is the name of the game here.

When you don't reply to any tv license letter addressed to the occupier or your fake name then they will check the voting register and you'll get a registered letter, check the tracking code (I'm not explaining why but the clever ones here should suss it), if you are not expecting any registered mail then ignore the collection slip and don't collect the letter !

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

I understand your post clearly.

But if Joe public keeps on throwing their hard earned money at Rte, then nothing will change.

Like I said previously, I wouldn't have bothered too much if water charges had been introduced... It's a service I avail of, and would contribute to accordingly if required.

What I strongly object to, is being threatened with legal action if I don't cough up for a service I neither use or need.

How can every other broadcasting / streaming company block non subscribers, yet Rte can't?

More importantly, who the hell do they think they are? Who are they to tell me that I have to subscribe to their content? Sounds a bit North Korea to me??

If Rte content was the only broadcasts I could receive in Ireland, then almost certainly yes, I would pay for the service, and to be fair, they could charge what they wanted to.

But, but, but..... Times have changed, there are plenty of broadcasters competing against each other, each offering different content to entice the customer base they are looking at... It's a subscribers market at there.

I drive Ford cars.. It's a personal choice. Over the years, Ive dabbled in other brands and didn't like them. I find Ford cars reliable, easy to drive, and generally they tick all my boxes = So I buy Ford cars (simple as that).

Whilst I am satisfied with my Ford cars - Should I also pay a nominal fee to Toyota...?? Of course not, I have no interest in Toyota cars.. I am happy to pay for a Ford car.. because that is my choice.

Like the rest of the hard working people of Ireland, we have to say enough is enough.

The TV license is outdated - Everybody knows this, so why do we continue to enforce it?

We were made a fool of during the banking crisis... And that was due to no fault of our own, yet we still had to pick up the tab for it.

Because of the Governments catastrophic failure to manage the banking system, the entire country nearly went broke... And guess what.. Joe Public was landed with the debt, and is still paying it off to this day.

Fast forward to the present day... Another scandal rocks the national broadcaster... Throwing money around like confetti, no accountability, under the counter slush funds..... Then comes looking again for more money from the tax payer (LOL - Couldn't make it up!)

Sorry now... If anybody thinks I'm being extorted again by this band of gangsters again, you have another thing coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

You’ve chosen your battle that’s for sure😀

As I say, it’s your call - I don’t criticise you for doing it - it’s just a pity it wasn’t easier to be civilly disobedient - they have my name and address and licence reference number so if I don’t pay I’ll definitely get an inevitable summons so there’s just no point in me doing that - I’ll have to pay it eventually one way or another - ballot box will be my protest

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Like the water meters.. If everybody stuck to their guns, the TV license would be abolished.

People seem to forget, the elected TDs work for us, not the other way round.

I am all for living the lawful life, but I'm sick and tired of being shaken down by the Government.

The bottom line is.. I'm paying for all the services I use (ALL OF THEM), and a bunch of other stuff that the Government takes half my earnings to pay for...

I won't be paying it, not now, not ever...

*They have my details too... I haven't renewed for over 2yrs now. I had two letters and nothing since. I couldn't care less if the Inspector calls.. he has no legal clout what so ever, and I most certainly don't have to give him my name, my position in the home, nor tell him the colour of my socks... Basically, he is no more than a trespasser on my property who will be duly removed with haste *

Does anybody really think the Gards are going to go after TV license dodgers..... Pleeease!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

Head down to the district court any day of the week and you might have a different view.

Of course the guards go after license dodgers.

If there’s a summons, or an arrest warrant to be served they don’t have any choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭SteM

Jeez, someone's on a roll tonight. From being forced into buying steak to paying 'road tax' to waters charges, North Korea and everything in between. Talk about loosing the head over something you don't even pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

"How can every other broadcasting / streaming company block non subscribers, yet Rte can't?"

Because you have an account with them which you have to sign into. If they haven't received an up to date payment from the account no access until payment is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭BagofWeed

But these are folk who gave in as soon as they got a letter or opened the door to the inspector. The fear gets them.

I actually got letters, once in this house and once in an apartment stating that if I didn't contact them I was getting a summons. I never contacted them and I never got a summons. Mind you now they didn't have my real name on either letter.

1st letter that ever came to this house, builders were still doing snags, was from them. I put the freeview dish and saorview aerial up a few days later, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Yes you are trying to be smart here, as usual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement