Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence Non-Renewal Next Stage Of Investigation?

Options
  • 16-12-2023 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

The TV Licence at the address where I have been living expired last June. The licence was not in my name. The person whose name was on the licence has since died. I realise it’s the occupier they can prosecute.

The licence was not renewed or name changed. I was out of the country for a couple of months and then I thought I would see what happens if it doesn’t get renewed. Then the RTE scandal broke. I heard there has been a big fall off in licence renewals.

Truth is I rarely watch TV these days, I haven’t even switched it on for months. I fully intend to get rid of it, but an elderly relative was due to visit for an extended period and she watches all the soaps, so I kept the TV, her visit has now been postponed until next spring or summer. Also, the set top box is about 20 years old and is starting to lose channels. I don’t have an aerial so I cannot even receive RTE, I just have a dish that picks up UK channels and some Freeview ones.

So, there were numerous reminder letters. All were ignored. Then a letter warning me that an inspector was scheduled to call to the address. About a week later a very angry man, climbed a locked five-foot gate to gain access to the property (maybe some implications there with a locked gate and implied rights of access removed) and proceeded to hammer at my front door in a very aggressive manner,  Needless to say I didn’t answer the door, he proceeded to walk up and down the driveway looking back and scowling at the house and even scowling at my car registration for some reason. Eventually, he gave up and climbed back over the gate.

So after about four months I had another visit from a different TV licence inspector he didn’t fancy climbing the gate, but he came back next day and the gate was unlocked and he knocked the door.

I did not answer the door but I noticed he went around the side of the house and into the garden, I lost sight of him, but I imagine he was trying to see if there was a TV aerial or Satellite dish mounted on the house. There is nothing visible from the front of the house, or from the road, but there is a satellite dish right at the back of the property, he may well have seen that. He would have almost had to go to the rear of the house to see it, which is blocked off by a gate, but he could have seen over the gate. The licence inspector does not know at this stage if the dish is connected or working / receiving a signal.

He left a note stating if I do not purchase a licence in the next ten days the investigation will move to the next level. Just wondering if anyone can advise what is the next level? If he has seen the satellite dish is that enough to proceed with a court appearance / summons? Or must they actually find a TV set inside on the premises. Either by the occupier allowing them access to the property or by the TV licence inspector being accompanied by Gardaí with a warrant. Is a warrant a common occurrence?

They have given me ten days to buy a licence before they go to the next level of investigation. I could do without the expense right now, if I leave it until the new year to renew the licence will my licence reminder letters still work to renew at the post office?

There is a lot of information regarding the UK situation in respect of resisting TV licences, websites, YouTube channels etc, does anyone know of any for the Irish situation? I know it’s different in the UK if you don’t watch or record live TV then you don’t actually need a licence. Over here I think if you have a TV for any reason, even if you just watch DVD’s on it, then you have to have a licence. Is that correct?

So if anyone knows what the next level of investigation is after two inspector visits and if “implied rights of access removed” applies in Ireland. I would be grateful. Thanks. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Is your name on the letters?

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Pity that RTE internal investigations aren’t as swift moving.

There’s two threads on this, they should be combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mr Creosote

No my name is not on the letters from the TV Licence people. That's partly why I did not renew. The person whose name was on the renewal has died. Have they any way of finding out who is the occupier?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Get a license today problem solved

• Advertisement

No, someone has to open the door to them and give a name. Most people just give their name when caught on spot.

you also don’t have to by law give them your name.

They can’t send a summons to the occupier.

When I was house sharing years ago my flatmate had tv licence in her name and then moved out. After a while TV licences came looking for her, I said she no longer lives here and he was and who are you? If I’d have given my name I’d have got the summons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

If you have a TV in the house, you need a TV license. Simple as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mr Creosote

I did state there have been numerous reminder letters. If you don't know anything about implied rights of access, what the next level of investigation is at this stage, or resisting TV licence taxes in general, then no point in stating the absolute obvious. This discussion is not meant for regime enjoyers who always take the path of least resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Was he wearing his hat? It's illegal to climb gates or walk around the rear of the house unless he's wearing his full uniform including hat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Hopefully it will be replaced with something more suitable next year. Everyone should have to pay to contribute to public service broadcasting, quality free journalism, orchestras, archives, maintenance of the broadcasting infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

What a load of yellow livered buffoons ye are....

The TV licence was brought in during the stone age. We had Rte 1 and the radio... If was either that or nothing.

And too be fair, most people had no bother at all contributing their share towards it.

However... Like everything else, things evolve.

Most people today pay a subscription to view content of their choosing, why pay for a steak dinner if you are a vegetarian?

My household pays well over £100 every month to view the content we want to watch - I have no problem with that.

Why should I pay to bankroll a production company I have zero interest in? Nor do I watch any of their content?

And...... Should I really be threatened with a conviction and a court case for refusing to be badgered into being extorted for my money ??

I have no ill will towards Rte, I'm sure they do a very good job at broadcasting and creating good shows..... I just choose (and pay) to view different content and platforms.

Why do people choose different mobile phone bundles? - They tailor them to suit their needs, I don't see any fuss being raised about that?

For me... Rte and their TV licence demands, can stick their threats were the sun don't shine, they'll be getting diddley squat from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Public Service Broadcasting has a value.

You clearly don't want to pay for it on the basis that you don't use it.

If you think about it there are lots of things paid out of the public purse that you don't use.

Things like subsidies to various sports IE. horse racing, GAA.

If you love the gee gees and the Gaa substitute a couple of other things that receive state funding.

Maybe when all this current hiatus is sorted the Government will come up with a funding system for Public Service Broadcasting that involves a little less drama than the current one.

I'm not holding my breath.

I don’t use the public health system so I shouldn’t have to pay income tax to fund it etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

All well and good, if we has quality journalism. Sadly, that is no longer the case. The days of impartial journalism are long gone. The work to an agenda now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Not unless you tell them. Ring them up & explain to them that the person living there has died.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭thomas 123

That is absolutely not comparable not to mind your last prescription was likely subsidised in some way.

Also when your actually sick with something that the little private hospitals don't make money on - like your end of life care, aggressive cancer, aggressive liver disease etc you will be using the Public hospital ... so think of it as paying ahead.

What agenda? I’m not trying to be smart here, but I’m going to guess you are a middle-aged man with opinions that have gotten more right wing over the years despite consuming less of the sort of basic free journalism that RTE has been knocking out for almost 100 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

stupid question I know but I’ll ask it anyway- Can a “residence, house” etc be taken to court or do the licence inspectors actually need a name?

Asking purely out of curiosity- it seems like the licence inspectors would have progressed with a court summons at this stage only for the fact that they don’t actually have a name?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Either buy a license now or get rid of the TV. Those are your options. That’s it.

You have made a valid point.. Yes, my tax deductions are being used for many things, some I approve of, some I don't.

I have no control over what the Government throw my cash at.. (Probably better off not knowing anyway).

But what I do have, is common sense & knowing when I'm being scammed or not.

I believe a certain percentage of my tax deductions go towards maintaining the roads... (LOL!) You would need a Sherman Tank to navigate my rural roads, and that would be damaged!

I'm paying road tax... Yet I encounter encounter numerous road tolls and charges to travel to Dublin City....

The banks nearly go bust - Get the tax payer to bail them out... (And the tax payers children after that...)

And on top of that... The National broadcaster has been squandering money left, right and center.. They have been paying for 'Jolly Boys' outings for those in the clique, overpaying overpaid presenters, funneling money into UK accounts to keep it off the records, and then have the audacity to threaten the tax payer with court appearances if they fail to continue supporting the gravy train...

The country kicked up a fuss when they tried to bring in water meters. I would be more supportive of water charges than paying a fee for a corrupt national broadcaster (I need my water, couldn't give a flying one about Rte)

No matter what way you look at it, we are living in one of the most expensive countries in Europe, and we are consistently being squeezed for more.. At some point, somebody just has to say - 'That's enough'!

After the circus that was the Rte spectacle - That was my 'enough' point.

• Advertisement

I often think that must be a bit of a legal question mark. Which member of a household is responsible for paying the license? Obviously if it can be established is is only one person living in a house that would be the responsible person.

When an inspector erroneously called to my place he called out a name, it quickly emerged he was at the wrong address as I had a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They cannot take action against the occupier. They need a name.

I moved out in my late teens and am in my late 30's now. I have never had a tv license and nor will I. Perfectly avoidable once the letters remain in "the occupier" (or not your name)

So if that’s true then no wonder the inspectors in this example are coming back repeatedly to the house.

OP- if you really don’t watch TV then really dump the TV you have - do you really want this hassle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Not only do they need a name, they do not have authority to enter your premises without permission. Nor can they, under GDPR, use An Post data to get your name. They can use other publicly visible info - so if your name is on your bin tag for instance - but if you commit to the non idenfiable strategy that I have used for years successfully, it is possible to not pay this nonsense. Additionally, this may involve such nonsensical behavior as "sorry I dont live here" and close the door if the inspector calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

If you do want a licence just sign up for a new licence. Don't renew as it will start from previous expiry date.

Have to say I probably have a little respect for those who continue to not pay and still haven’t been prosecuted- it’s seems daft that in the 21st century we all need to have a licence for an electrical item - it’s just another stealth tax - it should be done away with completely.

All the government can do is dream up ways to get more money from us but they’re not providing the standard of services such as healthcare transport etc that they should be doing

While I still don’t have any sympathy for those up in court for not having one but who can afford to get one and just don’t, I can certainly understand why they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm not a supporter of the TV licence at all.

It's an anachronism from a bygone day.

All this drama chasing around houses trying to collect is a sort of performance art.

It should be abolished and whatever form of a Public Broadcasting Service we want should be financed from general taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

...And that their last wish was for the telly to be buried with them. So no need for a telly licence.

If I don't pay my Sky subscription, they disconnect me!

IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

Why should I not have a TV just because Rte are broadcasting their content...? It's up to them to protect it, not me!

If I don't pay my Wifi bill... Guess what? I'm disconnected.

The same goes with every other service looking for money... No shekels - No Late Late Show...

I can't believe in this day and age that people are so easily pressed... It's a shake down, nothing more, nothing less.....

If I'm streaming Netflix on my telly (paid for by the way), does that allow Disney to come knocking on my door for money too??

I don't owe Disney anything, because I don't view their content. Nor do I want to view their content, even though it's beaming around my home constantly. So why should I pay Rte??

Get this.... Nearly half of my salary is tax.. I don't even see it. I'ts gone.. deducted at source.

The half of my money left over, is for me to spend as I wish. I'll be damned if I'm going to be told I have to cough up to support another gravy train that has no accountability at all!

Look at the National Soccer HQ - Drained of it's money by corrupt bigwigs... Again, nothing done, brush it all under the carpet.

The Government is already taking half my wages. Im still paying for the Banks corruption over a decade later.

All this nonsense talk of get rid of the telly if you don't watch it.. Why should I?? Because the Inspector might come around and catch me watching Skysports?? I pay for Skysports! He can mind his business!!

Take a step back, and have a look at the legitimacy of forcing the people to buy a TV license in this day and age.... It's no longer relevant.

• Advertisement

Advertisement