Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Golfing Goals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Getting out for 5 rounds a week. Living the dream.

Congratulations. Now everyone in here hates you. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Alanm

• Survive boards captaincy
    • Not have to pick myself for the jug team
    • Play fewer competitions on my home course (I played far too many last year, need more practice rounds)
    • Break 70 on home course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

re: "not have to pick myself for the jug team" -> 😨

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Last years goal was to get to 15 HC, started the season on 16. Ended the season on 18.

Same target for this year. Get to 15.

My driving has massively improved towards the tail end of the season and my short game too so there is no reason why I shouldn't.

Looking forward to the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Going to keep things short and focused this year so here we go:

Currently playing off 11.0. Waiting on adjusted irons and new driver from a fitting at foregolf so I'm reasonably optimistic of getting to single figures but I want to comfortably play off it this time, not like a few years ago when I shot back up the handicap chart too quickly.

Would love to retain starting spot on the bruen team again, even though its reduced to four pairs this year. Love the inter club comp. Intend to practice a lot from January onwards and focus on things that let me down last season( esp fairways hit).

Would love to win a monthly medal but its big ask. I'll try my best.

Best of luck to all of you in trying to attain your goals in 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭CONSI

I'd love to get more consistent from 150yrds, hit more greens, my course has 5 par 3's, so that leaves 13 other holes. I'd like to be consistently hitting 8 of those at least per round...there's a few longish par 4's that would mean 6irons 5 irons in, depending how you play them...and I'd like to play at least 1 or 2 nice other courses in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Went into my GI scores when I saw this thread to see my lowest handicap for the year. Had a double general play score that went in and sent my handicap down to 2.4 during the summer so no interclubs for the year I think FFS. Knew I was gone from Bruen but thought I was ok for Junior cup. Have gone out 3.8 since as I played pretty poor for most of the summer tbh. Not good enough for senior cup yet

Goals:

3.8 down to 1.5

Practice more on long game during summer. Barely hit the range up during summer, just played 3 times a week and it showed. Started hitting it sideways

Short game is always pretty on point. Live beside the course and often get out for 5/6 holes in evening and a bit of chipping putting

Getting 3*lessons for Niall Mcglynn off the missus and might make it a monthly thing. I work Shift work so might make it a full day of practice in carton house when travelling from the South

Thinking of getting speed sticks. Not short but ok the new trackman range I'm Averaging about 160 ball speed. Could always do with a few extra yards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

I didn't make goals last year, but had a good year overall and feel I played semi regularly and improved.

After a year without gui I floated between 21 and 13 as I built up counting rounds, ending the year at 16.1 with 10 or 11 counting.

Aims for this year;

Sort out my club situation and join somewhere permanently after a few years of not doing that

Want to get to single figures in the medium term, if that happens next year great but if not consistently play better golf and get/stay below 15 at a minimum

Would love to make the jug team again, was a great experience

A pretty vague goal, but I changed irons and driver in october and picked up a driving iron last week to fill a distance gap. Want to continue to improve my accuracy/consistency off the tee and my shorter irons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I’ve decided to take a year (or more) away from coaching so for the first time in 12 odd years, I’ve the summer to myself and no team for 2024.

Another first for me is that I’m still practicing at least once a week - before this I used to put the clubs away for the winter but after a great 2022 golfing year, my start to ‘23 was a disaster and it took me all year to get back. I had dropped 4 shots and was able to play to it when counting finished in ‘22. For ’23 I thought I would push on but I finished the year at 16.6 - very disappointed

For next year, I want to push on and drop more and play at least the same amount as two years ago. I want to play outside Ireland too and have a trip booked for May so looking forward to that.

Looking forward to getting back out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Main goal for 2024 is just play much better than 2023. I'm a better golfer than i showed this year.

Twice in recent rounds i have played significant streaks at very high standard. Just 2 days ago, Christmas Eve, was one of them. After a shaky start, 3 bogies and a scratch, I played next 7 holes in level par, 5 consecutive pars, then bogey then birdie. Lost my groove on last four holes but ball striking all day was excellent. The other round had a 10 hole stretch in +1.

So I know the good golfer is in there somewhere.

1. Get back down to 12

2. Shoot no worse than 90 in a competitive round. Our place is par 70, so it should be possible.

3. Win any prize in a comp. Not for the prize, or the glory, just means a really good round.

4. Get more practice. Almost zero this year. Poor practice facilities at new club (Arklow) doesn't help. Need to find somewhere close to Bray (suggestions welcome!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

My goals are a far, far cry from some of the very impressive golfing in here! It'll be into my second year, so hopefully some of the worst is over me.

1) Bring the handicap index down from my current 34.8 to below 30. Stretch goal would be 28.

2) Develop more consistent ball striking. After finding what seems to be a good coach, I need to stick to the lesson plan and practice, practice, practice.

3) Relatedly, I'd like to make any clubs lower than a 6i hittable. Have the fear with driver and especially woods or hybrid, so would like access to the full bag again.

4) Feel comfortable (or even confident) enough to look forward to and enjoy playing with others. At the moment, it's just panic and regret :D So it'll be nice to enjoy the game more.

5) Yes. Enjoy the game more. When I started, it didn't matter how bad I played, I enjoyed every second out there. Then came the silly expectations, and then the anger and disappointment, and goodbye to the enjoyment. As someone said above, to still be good company when I'm playing badly.

6) I've yet to break 110, but I feel it's doable within the year, and ideally I'd like to be breaking 110 consistently by the year's end.

7) Play and enjoy new courses. I've a Spain trip in Jan with a large group, so that'll kickstart me. If I can make most or all the BGS days, I'll have achieved the goal. Only played Corballis and Portarlington so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭thelostboys23

1. Get Handicap Index down to 9.9, currently at 12.8

2. Get fitted for irons, got ahead of myself and done this in December so getting used to the new irons will be priority in early months.

3. Play interclub again. First time doing it in 2023 and enjoyed more than I thought.

4. Qualify for a couple of the match play events in home club, missed 3 of the 4 qualifiers this year.

5. Make day 2 of captains prize.

6. Enjoy any time getbout to play be it good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

some lofty ones below!

Playing goals

1. get to scratch before my 40th birthday (Jan 2025)
    2. play in 6 scratch cups and the Irish Mid Am championship.
    3. record 7 birdies in one round (my best is 6)
    4. average 10plus greens in reg on my home course in comp play over the year.

Golf fitness and practice goals

1. work on flexibility/mobility 2 times per week.
    2. 3 stack system workouts per week.
    3. Winter 2-3 range sessions per week - Summer 2 practice evenings on the course with one lesson per month.
    4. putting practice 2 x per week for 30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Lofty indeed! What's the handicap now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Getting my knee done this year and hoping to get back really enjoy playing

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

My dad's a member of the Curragh, so want to be able to play with him as much as possible.

Plus he's kill me if i went anywhere else 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I'd rather be in Curragh personally, whilst The Heritage is a great resort day out .

It isn't practical as a day to day golf course (imo)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

I’ve been thinking about this and the main one for me is to enjoy golf again.

been caught up in too much politics in the club around teams etc and also with people taking advantage of the new handicap system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

11 to 9 would be a success for me. Just had a full custom fit at foregolf so a full new bag incoming. Confident it should bring some nice changes over time. Especially off the tee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

I heard there price has gone up €150 now for 30 mins that right? Madness if so

No… was 150 and I was there for almost 3 hours. Was only meant to be 1 hour but ended up much longer. Was a great experience. Derek was very accommodating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭big_drive

Was a nice mixture P790 irons, Mizuno T20 wedges, Paradym woods. Felt like I hit 300 shots at least 😂, I felt like I hit every club & shaft possible there and the chosen selection was stand out in feel for me and numbers were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Golfing goals:

1. Keep or improve my handicap just returned to golf after a break 13 counting rounds & off 10.7 but 2 very good rounds swaying that index would love to get to a consistent 9.9 or better but 1st job is stop it drifting up much further before I work on getting it back
    2. Birdie every hole on my home course - not likely but nice to track and the buzz if you tick off one of the low index holes is great - last year I got to 6 but the back injury scuppered the 2nd half of summer and full autumn season
    3. Get my swing to a place where I can justify investing in new clubs. I would really like to get fit for some new clubs (nothing newer than 2007 driver in the bag). But I would like to be in a happier place swing wise before I do this
    4. 2 Rounds without a double
    5. Qualify for playoff of Captains or Presidents (top 27)

Personal:

1. Get fitter - I had been slowly creeping up the weight chart but a back tweak last year really got me out of the exercise habit - I now need to lose a stone minimum, thankfully the back is sorted not so I need to get myself in gear & build back up the habit
    2. Practice - I installed a home setup during covid & my ball striking was never better - in parallel with a bit more exercise I need to do more structured time on the practice mat/range

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭ec18

as a starter I've some pretty simple goals,

get started with some lesson and the range,

get 3/4 full rounds over the spring summer

start getting some gear together

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Mid am is gonna be tougher with them dropping the low age limit. Down to 25 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Do they still deducted the fitting costs from the price from the clubs if you chose to purchase?

• Advertisement

Advertisement