Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Golfing Goals

Options
  • 15-12-2023 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭

Right with people giving a diagnoses of the season gone. Lets get some positively on the season ahead! As I am really feeling positive for next year!

I had a really bad year life wise which also had a knock on effect on my Golf plus it was a terrible year weather wise for us golf lovers! But I feel that to come through the year I had I can achieve anything just need to keep been positive.. So my golfing goals as are follows

1. Get my HC below 15. This is my biggest goal. Do this and everything will fall into place. I,m sick of bouncing around off 17,18,19 the last few years.
    2. Win a medal
    3. Make the boards Jug team#
    4. Go on a Golfing holiday
    5. Work on mental game

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm joining a club, which I hope will see significant improvements to my game with more regular rounds. Only started playing again last year after a very long hiatus so there's plenty of scope for improvement!

1. Try get out 5 times a month on average over the year
    2. Get an official handicap and try get it down to low 20s.
    3. Get a top 5 finish in 1 Boards outing. This is one of those stretch goal things. 😅😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭eggy81

1 get down below 18

2 break 90 5 times in comps

3 play at least 2 times a week from March until September.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

My 2024 goals

1. Lessons - get 2 or 3 done in Jan & Feb, main aim to improve ball-striking, making it more consistent.
    2. Practice - while doing these lessons, practice properly to reinforce the swing changes
    3. Play consistently from March to October - ensure handicap stabilises by getting the full 20 scores in ASAP
    4. Use my head more around the course - stop taking on stupid shots & costing myself scores because of it
    5. Improve my putting
    6. Play more Boards events

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

as i have small children i think i should be a bit conservative with these. will struggle to get out more than 1/2 a week really.

1. maintain handicap, maybe drop it a point
    2. play the majors
    3. play a competitive round in a new course

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Same goal as last year more or less. I lost 1.5 shots this year going from 6.2 to 4.7

So the goal is :: Try to play 20 counting rounds of golf. Get my handicap down to 4.0. If I kept it at 4.x though, that would be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sorbet

2024 will be my second year playing golf so some targets might seem modest but would love to achieve them;

1. Break 100 reasonably consistently - have been playing 9 holes sub 50’s but have never actually done 18 under 100.
    2. Get 36 points in a club competition- won’t win anything but would love to play to my handicap.
    3. Get at least 20 counting rounds in.
    4. Get lessons and practice what I learn on the range - not just playing casual rounds.
    5. Join BGS and play at least three new courses (to me).
    6. Real stretch goals - break 90 once.
    7. Par every hole in my home club.
    8. Get a green in regulation birdie on a par 3,4 and a green in regulation par 5 in my home club.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Made some good progress this year getting the handicap down by 10 shots. Dropped from 28.5 to 18.5. So I'd like to build on that a bit more if possible.

1. Get the hcp down to 16 and not let it creep back above that.

2. Get driver under control. This has been my nemesis since the beginning. It can be the best club in my bag some days, but more often than not it gets me in trouble. Dedicated practice needed.

3. At least be in contention once in a club comp. Would be nice to win a comp but if I was top 3 I'd be happy.

4. Get my first eagle. - For no practical reason other than I think it'll be fun.

5. Get away for a golf weekend to Spain or somewhere.

6. Play more links courses.

7. Play at least one "premium" course. I could link this in with number 6 and kill two birds with one stone.

8. Beat @dan_ep82 at least once. I might need to bend his clubs or something but I'll figure out a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

• More regular practice and continue lessons.
    • Get to 6HC . Got to 6.8 but drifted up to 7.6. Nowhere near that at the minute.
    • Shoot Level or under. Bottled a few under par rounds, the worst being -3 after 4 holes and holding it until the 15th and finishing +3
    • Play some courses I haven't in a few years to see how different I play them. Playing Rathcore was a bit of an eye opener.
    • Play one of the big courses I haven't been on.
    • Balance golf,baby and missus going back to work
    • Do everything to fend of ElBandito

• Registered Users Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Fair play Benny starting the thread already a sign of your intentions for year 2024 - more focus , more positive.

This is going to be a hard one for me to balance - as my goal is to be less goal orientated.

1) Have less goals

2) Stick with the process I'm in of short game and structural changes to change club dynamics

3) Go back to 1)

4) A short game clinic

5) Get rid of swing coach and make a call on what my swing is going to be

6) Go back to 1)

7) Break 76 - as in hit a 75 a few times. This is bloody hard for me.

8) Enjoy golf more - as in I 100 % do - but see what happens more as opposed to worry too much about my strokes.

9) Play more competitions - but this has been very very problematic in 2023 - things look clearer on the home and work front.

10) go back to 1)

11) Be grateful for all the opportunity I have to play golf - in stunning places and on many occasions free or very cheap - don't take that for granted or let it be habitual

12) Play a bit more with my son - he is a long term project - but I think he will like golf.

13) Play in Portugal - but not the Irish scene

14) Play in UK - as in England.

15) Win a matchplay - anything matchplay - I think that suits my golfing abilities - up and down - great or bad on a hole.

16) Back to 1)

17) Play golf with somebody completely new - meet some new golfers - challenge my comfort zones.

18) Have 4 eagles - but go back to 1)

19) Add some dynamic loft to the driver - the low pull was fun and worked , but it isn't golf in a modern sense - more like ground hurling or ice hockey.

20) Get a good bit fitter in 2024 - did actually make some progress on this early 2023 - but very odd things happened.

21) Go back to 1)

22) Enjoy the days I get out with AlanM in the BGS - and help in whatever way I can

23) And Again - be gratfeull and aware how lucky I am to be able to do the things I can do in golf - at any time of my choice.

24) Back to 1)

Post edited by FixdePitchmark on

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Break80

Break 80.

Stay healthy.

Don't let the bad shots get to me and be better company when I am playing poor.

Consistency, Consistency, Consistency.

Plan my BGS travels a bit better and avoid 6hr round trips in the 1 day.

Get away to as many golf trips as possible.

Enjoy every minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Macker1

Get Back playing golf after missing most of 2023.

Enjoy every moment playing.

Play as many new courses as I can in 2024. Three already lined up for Golf Event in April up in Donegal (Good Start).

Get handicap moving back in the right direction after years of stagnation. Goal is be in Single Figures by end of 2024

Win a Medal at Home Course.

Win a BGS Outing & Qualify for BGS Jug Team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

1) having hand surgery next week so main goal is to rehab properly and be able to hold the club pain free.

2) try enjoy and be grateful for every round I play.

3) get below 4.0 - was 4.3 earlier this year but drifted up to 5.8 by the end, arguably related to 1) above.

4) start rounds better at my home course - countless times in the last two years I've been 4 over after 3, or 5 over after 4, and you're on the back foot straight away. You can still do a score but you've no wiggle room for another bad hole.

5) work on the driver and the putter. Shotscope says I'm losing almost 2 shots off the tee to a 5 H/C, and 1 shot putting, while I'm gaining 1.5 shots in short game and 0.2 shots in approach play.

6) pick up some speed, currently top out around 98/100, would love to be able to cruise at around 104/105.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bobster453

1.Make boards jug team and retain jug.

2.Arrange time better and stay over on boards outings.

3.Defo stay over for Captains day or days.

Everything else will happen anyhow regardless so no point making them goals

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

Trying to be more realistic this time…

1. Get HCI to 18 (from 19)
    2. Win one comp (society or club or annual “buddies friendly comp”)
    3. Get out with my son (beginner) at least once a month

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

1) Play more. (I had a poor record for competition golf in 2023. Home course was also often in poor condition quite often during the year. Additionally my ball seemed to pick up mud all year round this year qualifying conditions or not. Partly because of this, I didn't always take things seriously, played less golf, and I didn't turn up in peak condition much of the time)

2) Score better. (Score better by playing smarter. My swing is efficient and repeatable and I need to find a way to also make my scoring efficient. Hitting a greenside bunker on par 5 in two incredible shots, while taking 4 more swings to get the ball in the hole is a prime example)

3) Improve confidence in my abilities. (I CAN get up and down from 50y in front of the green for example!)

4) Make the society jug team next year and help captain @Alanm retain the silverware that's currently sitting nicely on my mantlepiece 🙂 (Massive thanks to everyone in the BGS for your input in 2023 on this front!)

edit 5) Stretch goal - Level par 18hole round. A major goal for me that I've never been able to achieve.

Post edited by RoadRunner on

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Get to single figures at some point and make the Jug team again. Currently at 12.7 and will probably drift before I drop any, but anything with a 9 in front of it would do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Finish the year sub 6.0 (Currently 6.6)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Quahog217

1. Maintain handicap index of 2.0 or lower slightly
    2. Work on fitness and speed sticks - short hitter for my index
    3. Get my putting back to where it used to be - Not been putting great the last few years
    4. Enjoy and not take too seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

Objectives same as before. Some Subjective others more of a feeling

1: Become a good putter

2: Handicap to 4

3: Even Par Round

4: Break Par

5: Birdie everyhole on home course in counting comp - currently on 14 for this year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

May as well set something to aim for:

1. Handicap under 6 at end of year
    2. Fix the gaps in my game, Arccos says I lose most of my shots (v a 5.0 index) off the tee, so improve that part of my game. Already had one lesson in November, so that's already under way
    3. Make the Jug team.
    4. Play more
    5. Enjoy it while I'm out there
    6. Check off golf in another continent (only have Europe and US off the list)
    7. Make an eagle (none in 2023)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

1. Maintain and improve consistency of my iron striking. This was the biggest factor in improving and stabilising my scores in 2023.
    2. Get more distance from my drives. I hit a lot of fairways but struggling to reach greens of low index holes in regulation.
    3. Improve my fairway woods consistency and distance. Can't reach greens of longer holes and often top them or hit into trouble.
    4. Get on the green and close to the pin from inside 100 regularly. Problems with alignment as much as ball striking. Nearly always miss left.
    5. Make bogey consistently on our index 1-4 holes. Too often it's been doubles or worse on these that cost me a win.

I'll get a lesson in Jan, Feb and March and practice on the course as much as possible.

Other than that, I plan to play a big variety of golf:

• Club competitions
    • Inter club
    • Society
    • Friends and family casual
    • Portugal trip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

1. Drop to single figures.
    2. Break 80.
    3. Birdie index 1 & 2 at home. The last two left.
    4. Win anything.
    5. Play interclubs.
    6. Attend a short game coaching/clinic event.
    7. Practice short game like a lunatic and build confidence.
    8. Play some more links golf.
    9. Enjoy the game and company.

I don't think I'll have an option for a trip abroad but I'd love one. Was getting close to dropping to single digits earlier in the year but then life/work got mad busy. Practice stopped and I finished the year 0.5 higher than Jan 1st. I'd love to say I'll have plenty of time for practice and all the rest but we'll see how the year pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭patsat

2023 was my second year playing golf and happy with the progress made. Dropped from 21.3 to 14.1 and definitely surpassed my own expectations for the year. Looking forward to reviewing these at the end of 2024.

Measurable Goals

1. Drop the index from 14.1 to below 10. (I managed to drop 7 shots this year, half of that would achieve this goal)

2. Break 90 more consistently (For a lot of the summer I hovered around the 90-92 mark, it was nearly a mental thing as when I drove very well, short game would let me down. When I drove like crap, putting and chipping would perform and keep me at the same score)

3. Break 80 (Did it once this year in Portumna. 76* but with winter tees so not as long and pick,clean and place everywhere)

4. 3 putt free round (I may have done this already but never noticed it, have increased my short game practice alot so should be very doable)

5. Double bogey free round (I'm always good for a OB tee shot.

6. Make an Eagle, or at least make birdie after an eagle putt. (I have had a few eagle putts, some very makeable but have 3 putted them all!)

7. Make the clubs Purcell team and try out for the Bruen. (I didn't expect to make the Purcell last year and I did, so I'll take the same approach to the Bruen this year and give it a try aswel)

Practice Based Goals

8. Keep practicing efficiently, I have settled on a coach after trying 3 so need to keep meeting him and drilling in the changes. (I have a tendency to try and fix things by making adjustments to my grip,ball position etc as opposed to working on the flaws of my swing)

9. Develop a system for distances from 100 yards in. (I have started working on this but a lot of work needed)

10. Don't neglect practice during the summer (I end up just playing golf and don't spend anytime on the range or putting green)

Courses

11. Play some more top courses (Donegal courses high on the list, although I've played some great links courses but very little top parkland courses)

13. Get out to Spain/Portugal/Turkey later in the year

This Christmas 2 years ago I bought a set of clubs off a lad for €50. I wish I didn't wait until my 30's to take up golf!

@patsat that is remarkable stuff - you must be doing a serious amount of work on the game. 2 years and you have had a 76.

Its gone past the stage of obsession! 😂 But yeah, huge amount of work and time but loving the process.

The 76 was a combination of winter tees, preferred lies, keeping the ball in play and 10 up&downs. I feel a long way off doing this under normal conditions or on a regular basis but it has given me great belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

76 is outrageous golf for a 14 handicapper let alone someone playing 2 years regardless of the conditions

You must be working on your game at least 4 times a week ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Will likely be a spotty year, with baby no.2 on the way in March/April, so my golf may suffer a bit. Will keep my goals in check a bit this year...maybe.

• Rejoin a club, likely the Curragh, and get more practice in. Might join The Heritage range a well, as that's only 5 mins from me.
    • Keep my scores in the 80-90 range. Hope to break 80, but want to get a more consistent score going. Just cut out the nonsense, and its easily doable.
    • Get my brother/dad out for our annual 3 day golf trip, as we missed it last year.
    • Get a few rounds in with my godson. I can use being his godfather as an excuse to play more myself 🤣
    • Retain my Ryder Jug spot, and win my match again.

Think i'll leave it at that for now.

Thanks lads. Depending on work and life, anything from 2-5 times a week. Some weeks that could be 5 18's, others could be a mix between golf, range, short game.

I also have a net at home to work on things and just got myself a putting matt.

As I write this I realise it sounds like I take this very seriously but it certainly doesn't feel like a chore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

5 rounds a week? 🤣

Still impressive improving that much. Get into the boards society and we'll use you next year 😀

Advertisement