Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time Gender Issues (READ OP BEFORE POSTING)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,886 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Interesting again to see how far you have to twist my words to find something to argue with.

Try listening to people who have actually gone through this service.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think there is a lot of underlying issues with people who has gender dysmorphia, studies have shown that Autism is the common thread. It seems to me to people looking for an 'answer'. But the problem is not as if people can flick a switch and go 'back' if they change their mind and want to detransistion. It seems like a gruelling experience, which can leave irreparable damage.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

But you just did express objection to such investigations, quite clearly saying they were intrusive and inappropriate. Now I have no expertise, but I’m wondering then why would they go down that route of questioning it it had no relevance to potential treatment to be offered. What kind of examination would you believe is appropriate?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Oh right so this is to do with evaluating the patient by interview before prescribing treatment. I think this is unavoidable especially when it has been show that so many of today's patients are autistic etc. The clinicians are psychiatrists, that's what they do, talk to their patients. It may very well be that some of the questioning is inappropriate, but that does not mean there should be none at all or very little.

I once watched gender reassignment surgery on an adult, US based. A biological man was reassigning to be a female, the surgeon a trans woman. The surgery was amazing to watch, very painstaking, extremely skilled in trying to preserve sexual nerve function, bladder & bowel function etc which could go absolutely pear shaped at the slip of the scalpel. It was a long procedure, very delicate, and fascinating to watch the immense skill with which it was carried out. The penile skin is literally turned inside out with great precision as to blood supply.

These surgeries are extremely major ones in male transitioning to approximate female. A mastectomy in a female is a considerable surgery too of course, but there are more surgeons with expertise in the technicalities of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭donaghs

He’s getting a bit personal and intense with that multipost “cross examination”.

i found your earlier comments very interesting about being a girl and not being interested in “traditional” non-girl stuff. When I was young the “progressive” response was to say there are different types of boys and girls, you don’t have to be a stereotype.

it seems like a new dogma in the guise of “liberal” values has set in where if someone questions their biological identity, it’s a direct route to identity politics and “gender affirming healthcare”.

and if you dare to question this, see the responses above

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Andrew have you read Time to Think by Hannah Barnes? If not it might be something to check out as it's about the history of the Gender Identity Service in the Tavistock in the UK.

Not everyone, historically it's actually been the minority, of young people who go through gender distress grow up to be trans. It's been shown that for some the distress is because they're still figuring out their sexuality. This is a complex situation and as mentioned in the show last night there is a process you should go through before transitioning, going too quickly can make things worse for the person. As was the case with Ritchie who was struggling with his sexuality.

A lot of that questioning is indeed intrusive, and seems rather lengthy. Some questioning is appropriate if future surgery is to be contemplated, like which is preferred route of sexual activity, simply for technical reasons that would be related to surgery.

Establishing if there was past sexual abuse would be relevant to a psychiatric assessment as such issues would have to be addressed. But I don’t see good reason for the more intrusive questioning. A psychiatric nurse present is appropriate as a chaperone/witness who also has the appropriate training. But a lot of that questioning certainly does need to be examined as to its rationale.

I get that for somebody very vested in the subject from a personal perspective would naturally get quite argumentative, the way I do when it comes to giving out about how disability is poorly catered for in the interests of the majority. I go on a complete hobby horse, but that’s what happens, we all fight our corner.

It is always difficult going through puberty, especially as a woman coping with menstruation, the idea of possible future pregnancies etc. I for one never in my life wanted to get pregnant, I absolutely dreaded the idea of it, both physically and especially that I wouldn’t have made a fit mother physically or psychologically. I just never went down the route of marriage, which was the thing for the vast majority of girls in my day. Had I any excuse to avoid it I would have. I don’t know how I would cope nowadays, there are pressures of all kinds all around, put in place by the IT giants with vested interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Sterlingwork

• Registered Users Posts: 41,055 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nobody in Ireland is advocating surgery on children

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

RTE PRIME TIME EXCERPT -

"A very large number are coming in a distressed state looking for help, and they're in a lot of pain and… they feel that they're in the wrong body," Dr Ní Dhálaigh said. "They'll often say, ‘I don't want to be in this female body. I don't want to be a girl. I'm not a girl, I'm a boy'."

--------------------

Irish author Helen Joyce talks about this topic which she says is akin to "a social contagion" of our times, whereby we see a 1000% increase in children & adolescents wanting to change sex and/or gender within a very short space of time! ... due in no short part to social media and its ability to spread ideas & theories at an astronomical speed. Her book "TRANS" discusses this topic with respect and in great detail.

Another perspective concentrates on the issue of anybody willing to question trans ideology or the Transitioning process!

Cancel culture & hysteria come to mind .... to which I can't help but see a very strong parallel / analogy with the opening chapter in Andrew Doyle's book on this very subject. 

THE NEW PURITANS - by Andrew Doyle 

An informative read for anybody who is dumbfounded, confused or has questions about this discussion, as it encapsulates so much of what's been talked about here (and the fear of speaking up)! 

Many YouTube video discussions & debates with Helen Joyce, see also the many talks with Andrew Doyle too in relation to this social contagion or "epidemic" that we face.

*The Tavistock scandal is a story in itself.

Hope all this this helps.

Did anyone suggest that there should be no questioning or very little questioning?

I expressed objection to such intense, intrusive investigation which is quite different to your suggestion that I objected to "medical & psychiatric investigations ahead of treatment". You're running up quite a series of false allegations in this discussion.

This Helen Joyce? Seriously?

Do you ever wonder why you find yourself hanging around with absolute Nazis in these discussions?

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

No, I haven't, and I won't be reading material from TERFs. I don't quite understand the obsession of some Irish people with the goings on at one particular clinic in the UK which has been closed and replaced by other services. Strange how PT mentioned that it had been closed but didn't mention that it had been replaced by other, bigger services.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

There is dumbness among the trans activist movement.

Clearly not all girls who say they are boys are in fact trans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭donaghs

I’m fairly new to Helen Joyce, but I see nothing in your post to say she is “Nazi”, basically some anonymous internet commentators saying it. I could be wrong, but you shouldn’t assume hateful things about people without any proof.

lots of searching online, and still nothing. I found this article online where she addresses the activists attacks and slanders when someone tries to argue a point in this issue.

https://thecritic.co.uk/issues/august-september-2023/how-to-survive-twitter/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,849 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No it's not quite different.

You said very clearly that there is no illness, but still there should be treatment on demand, no investigation necessary.

• Advertisement

That's as silly and stupid as saying gay parents will make their kids gay 🤣🤣🤣

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Where specifically did I very clearly say "on demand" and "no investigation necessary" please?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

She admitted she wants trans people eliminated, enjoys stamping on pride progress flags... There's lots of proof

https://x.com/joss_prior/status/1532511819583062025?s=20

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Totally NOT true, and this is the problem with this war, you throw an untruth Bomb at the other side and I guess somebody will throw one back, and the Trans people in the middle suffer. Helen Joyce is a crystal clear thinker on this subject.

I notice your Flag

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 39,946 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

and this is the problem with this war

God bless ye brave soldiers.

• Advertisement

And this is the person trying to spin away the nazi Elimination speak

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement