Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of charge to return passport.

Options
  • 11-12-2023 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Can I be charged to get my passport back.

Last night I flew in from the UK. I left my passport in the baggage area.

Drove home to Kildare, went to bed.

Got a call around 10 am this morning from the airport police saying "Hey, we have your passport. Here is a ref number. Come up and get it".

I was off today, so no problem driving back up.

Went to the airport police office, they told me they had my passport. But I would need to pay a ten euro charge to get it back.

WTF is the deal with that. To be fair, I did lose it and didnt notice.

I appreciate them finding it and contacting me.

But what is this sh1t about charging me to get it back.

I paid it in the end.

But how is legal to charge me to get my passport returned.

Are they not legally obligared to return it to.

Post edited by HildaOgdenx on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Listed as a Handling Charge.

• There is a €10 handling charge payable for each lost item returned to its owner. The handling charge can only be paid by contactless payment. An item may be posted to its owner for an additional cost. 

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There is a €10 handling charge payable for each lost item returned to its owner. The handling charge can only be paid by contactless payment

if you suspect that it’s not legal, you should report it to the Airport Police.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Coldoutside

Thanks.

It wasnt explained to me as a handling charge. Just that I had to pay it if I wanted it returned.

I appreciate it is only ten euros and much cheaper then ordering a replacement.

But I were a more stubborn person and refused to pay the charge.

What happens next, are they obliged to return it to me.

Are they required to destory it, or return it to DFA.

What are the legalities of all this.

It was discussed in the Legal forum back in 2014, when the fee was €6. I see that there are 68 male passports listed on the Airport site for about the last 3 months.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2057256066/charging-to-return-lost-property

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

millions of people are going through that airport every year.

I'd say the amount of stuff lost is astronomical.

The airport more than likely have staff that some of there dutys are to sort stuff out like lost property.

The 10 euro charge is to cover the cost of paying these staff.

Cheaper than getting a new passport all the same. I'd just be happy to get it back.

Somebody left their socks behind.

According to the Dublin Airport Bylaws: https://www.dublinairport.com/docs/default-source/at-the-airport/airport-bye-laws.pdf?sfvrsn=d6b1f108_2

Part II

6. 6.1 Each of the following is hereby prohibited:

(...)

(22) leaving baggage, goods or property unattended;

and

Part I

Liability for expenditure incurred as a result of contravention of Bye-Laws

5. Any person who contravenes any of these Bye-Laws shall be liable to the airport authority for any expenditure incurred by or on behalf of the airport authority as a result of the contravention, without prejudice to any fine so imposed, and such expenditure may be recoverable by the airport authority as a simple contract debt in any court of competent jurisdiction.

You contravened the bylaws in leaving your passport unattended on airport property. They incurred an expense in retrieving it, storing it, contacting you and returning it to you. They value that expense at €10.

All legal and above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bobbyD1978

It's not their property at the end of the day and the gardai dont charge a fee afterall. If you find something you cannot keep it or demand money to release the item nor did the owner freely enter into any agreement so the terms and conditions are irelevant in my opinion.

A complaint to consumer affairs might resolve the question

• Advertisement

My wife lost hers transiting through Shipol. She got an email from the lost property office in Schipol and was able to collect it (fee free) before catching her connecting flight.

I understand charging to return a laptop, tablet, mp3 player etc. But a passport, just seems sh1tty.

I mean it remains the property of the DFA.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

"The handling charge can only be paid by contactless payment", this could be challenged as it discrimates against those who could legally not have a bank account e.g undocumented or illegals.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's no legal requirement to take cash for anything except settlement of a debt. That might be an approach to challenge on, your one would not be.

Are the airport police required to return Irish passports to DFA after a set time.

If so, what happens when they return it. Could I have just asked DFA for the passport back.

Or would they still need to issue a new one.

DFA would cancel it and charge you for an new one. They have no idea where a returned passport has been so have a very good reason to cancel it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Mod - Moved to Legal Discussion.

Local charter now applies.

The one quoted on this thread that provides the legal basis for the charge

The one that states

"such expenditure may be recoverable by the airport authority as a simple contract debt in any court of competent jurisdiction."?

That is not what occurring here and bye laws dont supercede statute. Now I'm not suggesting by picking up lost property its theft (good faith and all). but willfully refusing to return it without without claiming reward? That's not so obvious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Pretty sure undocumented wouldn't have a passport....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

10 euro is a small price to pay instead of them contacting the DFA to say a passport was found and it being immediately cancelled and you then having to apply for a new passport and a marker for a lost passport against you.

No one is arguing that ten euros is a cheaper alternative to ordering a new passport. But passports are funny things. I belive its a criminal offence to hold onto someone passport in the UK. So a situation like this could not occure there.

Wait, what a marker for a lost passport against me? What is this? Am I only allowed to lose my passport a set number of times?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was surprised to read this but according to the Dublin Airport website there is a €10 fee…

• There is a €10 handling charge payable for each lost item returned to its owner. The handling charge can only be paid by contactless payment. An item may be posted to its owner for an additional cost. 

I presume it’s because of the volume of stuff and the time / man hours and other costs taken to process, photograph it, store it and put it on the website etc as well as to take calls and deal with the public directly…

Tens of thousands of people use the airport every day, departing and arriving and connecting…

suppose they feel it’s fairer to pass the cost on to people who lost items than add it to general airline / passenger charges, which is probably fair… it costs only the people they are holding stuff for…

Contactless just suits them unfortunately.

legally ? It’s a strange one, it doesn’t seem fair and above board but….

if you visited me , left your phone behind, would I be entitled to hold onto it until you make a contactless payment ?

Wait, what a marker for a lost passport against me? What is this? Am I only allowed to lose my passport a set number of times?

It's explained here: https://www.dfa.ie/passports/lost-stolen-damaged/

We may restrict the validity of your next passport. Losing two or more passports may mean you do not get a full 10 year passport. You may get a new passport valid for somewhere between 1 and 10 years. This will depend on how many passports you have lost or had stolen over the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If you lose 2 passports you may not be issued a 10 year one as a replacement. Depending on how many you have lost, you may only get a one year passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

As explained above - lose 2 passports and you will normally be issued with a 2 year passport to prove you can look after your passport then you can apply for a 10 year one.

By all accounts the airport should have notified the DFA when it was found since it is their property - who is to know if it wasn't copied, used fraudulently etc

• Registered Users Posts: 26,182 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There is an express power in the State Airports Act 2004 s. 15(3) for an airport authority to make bye-laws providing for, among other things, . . .

". . . the safe custody and re-delivery or disposal of any property found in the airport or in any aircraft or vehicle therein, the fixing of the charges to be made in respect of such safe custody or re-delivery . . ."

The thing is, the power to fix charges doesn't seem to have been exercised. I don't see anything in the 2014 bye-laws that fixes a charge of €10 for the return of lost property. Instead, we have bye-law 44(8):

Any goods or property found within an airport shall be handed over to an authorised officer.

What this means, I think, is that the bye-laws could, but don't, provide for the airport authority to operate (and charge for) its own lost property service; they just provide for lost property to be handed over to "authorised officers".

"Authorised officer" is defined in the legislation. It can mean (a) a member of the Garda Siochana or (b) a person authorised to perform functions under the Airports and Aviation Acts 1936 to 2014 — i.e. a member of the Airport Police Service.

So, is there a legal authority for the Airport Police Service to charge €10 for handling and returning lost property? The bye-laws, as noted, don't provide it but there may be authority buried somewhere in the Airports and Aviation Acts 1936 to 2014 (which are badly in need of consolidation). Reading those Acts to establish whether there is a statutory basis for the practice is left as an exercise for the student.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Maybe prosecute the OP for littering then?

This thread is nuts. They could throw everything a bin or charge a non nail €10 fee for providing a service to people.

Some people are never happy.

• Advertisement

It's not littering to forget something. It's littering to deliberately discard it.

I never said the charge was unfair, I questioned its legality to keep someone's property pending payment. You're mechanic can't keep your car waiting for you to pay for something you never asked for or a repair you never authorised can they?

In this case, it seems the correct system should be via the courts and not a mandatory fee at the lost property office.

Advertisement