Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The nasty side to teaching

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Principal in my school told an applicant only 2 months ago, who mentioned to him that she was applying for the A post who was getting it - this was a few days before the closing date.

Yep, people over 40 in my school do not apply for posts because they won't get them - these are competent experienced people that the workload falls back on when the **** hits the fan because they know what to do. Teachers out of college 2-3 years are getting the posts and while they are perfectly entitled to apply for them, none of them stop for one second to consider why teachers with huge amounts of experience are not getting the jobs and are also not applying. Another post interview a couple of years back in my school, a teacher came out of it and having had a chat with them they told me how hard the questions were, that they didn't understand some of them and said 'i don't know' to multiple questions. The person still got the A post ahead of highly experienced, competent teachers. It's an absolute farce.

Ah here. It's insulting to teachers to post that on this forum. Teachers up and down the country can give you examples of dodgy post interviews. People can only appeal on procedure not on unfairness. When my principal can name who is getting the post before the closing date for applications, it most definitely can be rigged. I can predict the order of merit for any set of post interviews in my school based on how well the candidate gets on with the principal. And A and B post jobs are not life and death. They are largely discipline, year head duties, exam secretary, school PR, and a variety of other admin duties.

So you haven't actually done any interviewing in this sector which is what you were trying to imply in your earlier posts? Then you have no idea what you are talking about and have no business lecturing teachers about transparency in post interviews when you haven't the first clue about how the system works.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

The Post system is an absolute farce in both religious and etb (they do not deserve capitals!).The same old cronies are rolled out time and time again as interview panels and believe it or not some of them make sure the schedule is on their terms so that they can turn up at countless interviews at different etbs so that travelling expenses can be maxed.For the serial religious member its usually 'one for all' vouchers.Mind you some 'people' turn up at both religious/etbs....money is money!!! Expenses are lucrative.

I recall one incident where the 'canonised' person bought a whole new wardrobe of clothes because they knew they were getting the post weeks before interview! I could write a book now on the way some careers were destroyed by the 'systems'.

And its true enough what Rainbowtrout says that some seniors do not bother applying now because of their previous experiences in their particular schools.It will never change,the appeals system is another joke. Box ticking exercise.So if you want box ticking and ars* licking join an etb!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Crakepottle?

Withdrawal of normal support for teacher (senior postholder), so that person will leave. In 5th Class, acknowledged by many to be the most crucial year of the Primary Cycle. A few children permitted to disrupt the class for the entire year. "I'm not takin off me coat do ya want me to freeze to death? Anyway it's a Michael Wotsit. It'd be robbed out on the corridor." Response of Principal? I wouldn't go there with that mother if I were you!!. Serious breach of Health and Safety eg attempting to send the teacher out alone with twenty pupils to a local venue, several crossings, busy road, behavioral issues in the group! That's only a tiny fraction of the outrageous incidents. An absolute circus of a year! The problem is the uncertainty about who is in charge. How are these abuses permitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

You have to think forward.

In a few years time, not only will they run out of potential applicants for posts (look to UK where NQTs from Ireland are instantly promoted to head of department when arriving).

They will also start to run out of applicant for principals. Again... Look to UK where non teachers are now "managing" the school. Not to far off the us system either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

So true Treppen & because newly appointed Ps have spent so little time in the classroom they see themselves as ‘managers’ not teachers. And don’t get me started on VPs not teaching their required hours, so all the ‘managers’ sit in their offices. Then have minimum staff meetings & lump everyone into ‘school planning’ groups for CP hours…the actual ‘managers’ have very little to do

Is it just our school or is 'middle management' now a thing.

Sad in a way, it's like education really wants to ape the business model in order to gather some identification of being 'professional', but the education and collegiality part is being lost.

What we need is more graphs and measurement and paperwork and surveys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

I think its sad how quickly it has been adopted and how detrimental it is to collegiality etc

I have to laugh quietly to myself whenever I hear the whole "community of learners" type tropes trotted out....most of what I see and hear is very much at odds with the idea of a community.....its every man, woman and child for his or herself or indeed whatever gender you are having yourself as far as I can see.

I think it will prove to be quite damaging long term but only time will tell I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Very much a thing. Our middle managers have a timetabled ‘management meeting’ every week…tea coffee & biscuits served. While we have the bare minimum of 3 staff meetings in a year!

Ah, we haven't had a staff meeting since September and I know there was 1 A post holder meeting in late September early October about a specific issue, but there hasn't been any since. The stuff that goes on in my school (or doesn't go on depending on what way you look at it ) is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

Norma is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

My brother, who was a second level maths & science teacher for 12 years before starting his own business, used to say that the three best things about teaching was June, July & August 😁

Yes it's definitely a thing. No staff meetings, just CPD and a few announcements.

Consultation is gone out the window, other than a survey that's already pre-determined , maybe they were too heated and personal in the past, but still... It's nice to be consulted and have a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think there are good and bad schools.

I had a rocky start to my teaching career. **** contracts

I think it has somewhat improved with CID

A lot of moaning here but I wonder how many people are active in their union?

I'm not saying it's a magic wand but a start.

The gap between the pay scales has been gradually eroded.

I gave up taking the education system seriously about a decade ago. I just try to do my best. I'm lucky to have a benign management.

If I didn't I'd use the grievance procedures.

Advertisement