Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The nasty side to teaching

Options
  • 11-12-2023 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

I didn't want to derail the thread with the OP asking whether to get into teaching or not so u started this thread - I suppose it's cathartic.

I've been teaching for a long time and as is the norm, did a lot of subbing in many schools. Some of these were great schools which I would loved to have stayed but that's life.

However I have seen and experienced absolutely dreadful behaviour in a professional setting, some of which we dont condone from our students.

Like others in that thread, I hand on heart couldn't recommend teaching to anyone due to two year PME, pay scales, part time hours for years, waiting for the phone to ring, botched interviews etc.

Then when you get the job and management f step in with the power trip - deciding your classes, subjects, don't back you with parents, humiliate, facilitate others with handy timetables while destroying yours where you pick up the slack. Don't get started on posts which have destroyed any collegiality.

I have seen teachers hounded in the workplace, humiliared, poor mental health, taking early retirement, career breaks etc.

Why do we allow this to happen?

I used to love getting up to go to school but I just dread it now because of having to communicate with management who have no idea what they are doing and are out to get you. I would love to go elsewhere and start afresh but redeployment is limited and I can't give up a very hard earned CID for a leap of faith at a fixed term contract.

The huge positive - the interaction with students and getting to understand your subject a little every day. The thank you at the end of the year. Meeting students years after school and seeing where they are now and reminiscing of their days in school. The kind words from parents are also nice.

Now that probably looks like a rant :) What can the normal Joe do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ottolwinner

Very sorry that that is your experience of a profession. I don’t doubt it but I’m sure of people were honest there are many similarities with those experiences across many professions including self employment working alongside other self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Is secondary teaching a lot tougher than primary teaching or are both the same ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I don't know to be honest. The 'hours' situation would make primary a bit more bearable as you are either on full hours or job-share etc. I don't know if you can have a small number of hours in primary. Also (in my area anyway), primary schools would not be that big, it does not mean that bullying behaviou cannot take place. I dpn't know if redeployment is easier for primary being on a panel etc.

I still enjoy the job but not the treatment from management - and that has only happened in the past few years - hopefully I will be leaving this all behind at the end of the academic year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some of the things that go on, people would say we are making them up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

By management, do you mean the Principal? Or dept ed?

I think all those type of people who would have become tyrannical nuns or priests in the last century, now work for the Dept Ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Isn't this not just related to your experience in the current job?.. its not unique to teaching.

It's like telling someone not to get into pharmaceutical industry because they have **** senior managers and directors in the current or past job.

Current school but did some research into bullying staff in schools. Still love teaching. Have worked for good principals but others were were good to me and a nightmare to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭csirl

Problem is that unsuitable people are sometimes appointed to Principal positions based on connections with Board of Management, heavy involvement in church or because the BoM is simply poor and doesnt have the skills to pick the right person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Yeah absolutely , the only difference being the pharma worker having to put up with it for many more hours and days in the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Odd didn't know pharma workers don't have to deal with their management team.. .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Seems to be something pervasive in public sector jobs where the usual supports have been removed.

I know gardai, teachers, nurses and doctors. All have said their management has opted out of providing any guidance on how to deal with any sort of sensitive subject. Zero guidance on dealing with people who have mental health issues is one.

All have been assaulted multiple times at work and nothing has been done. My friends wife is a nurse and had her jaw broken by a patient who attacked her. The patient was known to be violent but due to short staffing she was left alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭lbunnae

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭purifol0

The entire public sector doesnt have to worry about money, so there is no incentive to change, adapt or rock the boat. No matter how bad things are, they will all get paid, lump summed and pensioned.

In a case such as injury on the job, it is the tax payer who takes the hit for monetary compensation payouts, again no change needed unless it gets political via unions kicking up a fuss.

I have to ask though, what exactly are the usual supports and do think Irish SME's have them?

Teachers are not adequately trained to deal with being attacked or assaulted. I’m not talking about adults but children assaulting them.

as for decision making on dealing with people who have mental health issues there’s no training there nor are most qualified or privy to knowing if there are mental health issues.

I think the op is talking more so about the management and their inability to manage consistently and fairly. That’s the impression I got from the initial post.

In my case, previous Principal 'retired' and no one else applied except DP.

The only time I'm going to praise the Teaching Council :)

I'll find if required but Principals who have complaints against are not permitted to retire until an investigation. Our previous principal had three formal complaints and two early retirements. I don't know if the lump sum would be impacted but the get out card can't be used as easily.

Teaching Council is a waste of taxpayers money. The only way to get struck off is to commit a crime. They have never upheld a complaint from a parent or student, no matter how bad it was.

I'm also skeptical of their ability to check qualificatiions - I honestly think they accept anything on face value and only check if simeone complains.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Not sure where you get your information but it's incorrect. And as regards accepting things at face value, they are notoriously difficult to deal with if you are trying to get registered via anything other than the traditional routes to teaching.

https://www.irishtimes.com/crime-law/courts/2022/11/14/teacher-removed-from-professional-register-over-false-claims-he-worked-for-years-at-cork-school/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Teachers have been removed from the register. Some chose to resignn from the teaching council also to avoid the hearing which would have booted them out so the stats won't show them. This loophole however was closed in the last year.

Getting registered is also notoriously painful for anyone who qualified outside Ireland.

And, finally....a waste of taxpayers money 🤣🤣🤣.... the teaching council is being funded by the annual registration fee that teachers pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Hontou

For me the 'nasty side to teaching' revolves around unequal timetabling. In my school, there are some teachers teaching many subjects with full classes and others seem to have few subjects with many resource classes or team teaching classes instead. Some post holders have very light timetables relative to other post holders and non post holders. In teaching, some people get promoted into posts that involve quite basic administration duties (that could be done by non qualified administrators) and in turn get time off their teaching to fulfill these roles in the guise of 'quality' or other wording on their timetables.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Some of the stuff that happens in my school on a regular basis is outrageous. To the point that I mention it in a conversation a few weeks later to teacher friends in another school and they are 'you never told me that!!' and I had forgotten to tell them a particular story because I had two other outrageous stories from that week.

And the narrative spun is that is done randomly even though people are lucky enough to be off last class every day while the others are in first and last.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭HazeDoll

It's amazing what you discover when you do S&S.

Teachers with eight or nine kids in their classes while other teachers are wrangling 30 kids in every class.

Teachers with 'team teaching' classes on their timetable. When you show up to cover for them their lead teacher looks bewildered and says "Oh, I didn't know that person was supposed to be here, I always teach this class on my own."

Teachers who have demonstrated an inability to manage a subject or a class full of students so they are give a nice number giving one-to-one support to students who never show up to school. Or lots of 'SEN admin' classes, where nobody knows what they're supposed to be doing or if they're doing anything.

There's really no way to fail out of teaching. You either fail upwards or you find yourself relieved of most of your workload.

is this your personal experience from how many schools?

Waste of teachers hard earned cash 😄

Would be better being fully State funded to eliminate any conflicts of interest.

My own experience, mostly from one school. A recent change in management has sent things over a cliff.

I haven’t come across that in my experiences of many schools at all

i would imagine sitting doing something your bored of or pigeonholed into because you’re not able to manage else where is mind numbing and drags the hell out of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

The entire selection process for mgt is deeply flawed. The P controls the BOM…the BOM selects a ‘panel’ for interviews. The P knows who they want in DP & post positions & they always get their way. All of this leads to experienced teachers being overlooked for less experienced teachers. BOMs & selection panels are very carefully selected..once the P does this they have free reign

• Advertisement

I know a lot of teachers are disenchanted because they feel they were unjustly overlooked for posts.

I have very little interest in a post, all my unhappiness comes from the gradual erosion of everything that makes teaching a class possible.

Changes to the JC mean I have a huge course to cover (core subject) so nothing gets covered to my satisfaction. Large mixed ability classes mean nobody achieves what they should. I have 28 in my third year class and 22 have some form of additional need, some genuine and some spurious. This lowers the bar for everybody as well as creating a massive extra workload. Time that used to be spent correcting copies or preparing is now spent responding to emails or filling out pointless progress reports.

If a student wants to show up with no book, no homework done and a bad attitude and then ask to go to the toilet so they can miss 20 minutes of the lesson there's nothing I can do to compel them to stay in the room and participate. If they use their phone without permission I'm not allowed to confiscate it without involving a yearhead, most of whom are so busy they will, understandably, return the phone if they get a grudging apology rather than add to their list of parents to contact that day.

Last year, over half of my leaving cert class had attendance of less than 60% over the two years (Sept 2021 - June 2023). Apart from the usual colds and injuries, 'anxiety' accounted for a lot of absences but holidays were a very significant factor. I frequently got emails saying, "We're going on holidays, we'd appreciate it if you could put work online and we'll see that he does it." They come back with no work done. "I wasn't able to do it because you didn't explain it."

I have SNAs bustling in and out of classes taking kids for 'self-regulation' breaks, then asking me at the end of the class what they missed. Parents explaining to me why I should allow their child to submit homework in the form of a mindmap or an infographic when the task is to write an 800 word essay.

And inspectors who are inexplicably OBSESSED with whether I wrote the date on the board at the start of the lesson.

Advertisement