Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVB-I and RTÉ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Even after reading the website I’m not quite sure what DVB-I is. From what I can make out it appears to mainly about streaming linear tv over the internet, that has been done for years? Might be helpful to know exactly what the applications are.

The one RTE-related project mentioned, putting the player on the EPG, isn’t novel even in Ireland - VM have had Netflix listed on their EPG (channel 300 IIRC) for years, if you select the channel the app launches.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭butwhynot

There was a webinar held in July about DVB-I. It mentions a public trial next year. (42:57 for the Saorview part) https://youtu.be/7Y_XIg-Ixio?t=2577

The current method of streaming linear TV (HbbTV) displays a loading screen for 5 seconds before the channel starts playing. From my understanding DVB-I will avoid this and start playing instantly as if it was a proper DVB-T channel.

You can see how it currently works on Freeview here at 11:28. It's quite slow https://youtu.be/kDj6CJ0p-f8?t=686

For comparison, here's a recent DVB-I trial from November https://youtu.be/DkWzeEy5ORU

I presume the end goal is not needing an aerial at all and that Saorview will be fully delivered over IP, with a similar channel lineup to Freeview.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Thanks for sharing the video links, very interesting.

Time is off the essence, and hopefully RTE don't drag it out for years. There is a real need for an Irish based IPTV service. Using the individual players is painful, and many more people these days don't have a cable (of any type) or a box connected to their TV. They rely entirely on streaming, especially in bedrooms, kitchens etc.

Fingers crossed for Jim Higgins and the rest of the team at RTE/Saorview to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Italy deploys internet fall-back for TV signal > RXTV info

In Italy, some viewers can enjoy internet fall-back if their TV signal fails thanks the arrival of DVB-I. At the same time, the country’s public broadcaster RAI is preparing to upgrade its signal.

In November, the first major market trial got underway of a TV platform that could offer more channels, better picture quality and access to channels even if a viewer is outside of the terrestrial coverage zone.

Using the new pan-European DVB-I standard, the first smart TVs manufactured by Vestel are now geared up to access commercial broadcaster Mediaset’s new service. The broadcaster is trialling how DVB-I could complement the existing terrestrial TV service.

As in many countries with hilly or mountainous terrain, terrestrial coverage can be variable. In places reception of the full set of channels is not possible. DVB-I can kick in where terrestrial reception is absent, or where the household doesn’t want to use an aerial.

In the trial, viewers with compatible smart TVs can access four HD channels from Mediaset on channel 504-506 and 520 via their broadband connection. But it’s only a small drop in the ocean to what DVB-I could be used for in the future, as new hybrid platforms take shape.

Advertisement