Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas dinner!

Options
  • 08-12-2023 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm making Christmas dinner this year. It's just for four of us, so I'll probably only need two meat dishes, five sides, and two or three sauces. 😁

I haven't cooked Christmas dinner in years, so I've started planning, and may do some testing in the run up - for quality control purposes of course.

I was doing a bit of Googling, and found some good ideas in here - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2010/dec/20/how-to-cook-perfect-christmas-dinner. I'm debating between doing a turkey and a chicken. I'll probably do turkey though, for the day that's in it. So, I'll probably take the turkey, gravy, stuffing balls, and cranberry sauce recipes from here. I'm also intrigued by the bread sauce, but I don't think it's going to be necessary.

I'm definitely going to do a baked ham. I'll boil it first, and use the ham water for the sprouts like Momma Cup used to do, (and I'll add some fried bacon to the sprouts), and then glaze and bake the ham. I like the fig glaze here - https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/fig-honey-glazed-ham/6834ac4d-44d1-4ec8-aefb-78b35b799bf9.

Roast potatoes, mushy peas, carrots and corn on the cob will make up the rest.

I'd like to do something to the carrots a bit though, although I've never had much luck with trying to sexy up carrots. These recipes look ok, but I'm not totally convinced - https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/the-ultimate-carrots/, or this - https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/roasted-carrots-with-thyme.html. Will have to do some testing.

I live abroad, but I picked up a Dunnes Stores Christmas pudding when I was home a few weeks ago that's dessert sorted if I do a brandy sauce like this -https://www.thespruceeats.com/christmas-brandy-sauce-recipe-434913.

I don't think I'll bother arsing around with starters - there's enough food there. I'm going to ask Chat GPT for some lazy help on consolidating the planning.

What do you think? What are you making for Christmas dinner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Yeah, let’s do it!

I’m with you on starters, never bother.

If you’re going to do turkey, do it Nevan’s way. Never fails and you’ll have juicy tasty breast meat for a good few days afterwards.

I buy a whole turkey and bone it. I stuff the legs and wrap them in streaky bacon. You’ll only need one so freeze the other for January or February.

Ham is done in the slow cooker day before in a bath of jelly belly cola.

MIL is coming next weekend so will be doing this for next Sunday.

There are only five of us for Christmas Day so we’re opting for goose. Can’t wait. 😝

Good luck with it all. Prep, prep and prep some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Goose is fabulous but getting the cooking time right is critical (rather like turkey, really!). If you are planning on stuffing it, the cavity is enormous. It takes a huge amount of stuffing. When I did a goose, the initial amount of stuffing was rattling around in the cavern!

I don't actually know what I'm cooking yet. Will be doing it in the SIL's house in the UK. Last year was a fantastic rib of beef on the bone and a nice ham. I trust her at this stage to get something nice. Unfortunately, she doesn't care for goose.

Actually, the rib of beef was Christmas eve, the Christmas dinner was poached (and browned) turkey crown and boned, stuffed, roast legs.

I no longer stress myself about Christmas dinner. It's just another dinner and I put a lot of effort into cooking any dinner for a group. I just get as much as possible done on Christmas eve so I'm not overwhelmed on the day. And it saves me from having to talk to people all day 😊. I'd be very disappointed if someone else stepped up to do it. Would be a very long day!

So, while I haven't actually been asked nor have I volunteered, it's kind of a given at this stage that I'll cook dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Will be doing slow cooked ham in (homebrew) cider with turkey and roasted veg.

Going to do turkey differently this year because why not!?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Administrators Posts: 53,379 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Christmas dinner is actually fairly easy, it's basically a tarted up roast Sunday dinner. Cook the ham the day before, peel and chop the veg the day before. Get the turkey into the oven as early as you can in the day.

For the carrots, sometimes I chop carrots into huge chunks (even just half them length ways) and put them in the oven. When they are nearly done, I give them a very light brush with my leftover ham glaze (I use honey and mustard glaze).

A lot of people stress about keeping everything hot when you're doing the last bits, but really as long as your gravy is hot you are fine.

The most stressful thing is the starter tbh. Last year our starter involved scallops which while not super difficult was still a bit of work as obviously scallops have to be cooked to order.

Gotta say, mushy peas and corn on the cob are unusual for a Christmas dinner! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭tphase

I'll be doing a boned, rolled and stuffed turkey leg from my local butcher. Very easy to cook, loads of meat on it - one leg would easily do four people(obviously depending on the size of the bird, the ones I got last year were off a 35lb bird). I get him to throw in the bones for making gravy. They also had a nice bit of meat on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ Cup

Peas and corn are delicious. 😃

Mushy peas with meat and gravy is so damn good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I'm going duck this year, but have not planned out any other bits yet!

Probably mash and/or roasties, sausage meat stuffing, cranberry sauce, and veggies.

Don't bother with starters either. Will have pudding and custard for dessert

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I usually serve up around 3pm. I also don't bother with starters.

The main event is free range turkey with my own stuffing. Boiled and baked ham (not smoked). Roast spuds, honeyed carrots and parsnips, brussels sprouts sliced and stir-fried with bacon and soy sauce, and red cabbage braised in cider with red onions and apples. I'll also have giblet gravy and homemade cranberry sauce.

The wine will either be a Tempranillo or a Nebbiolo.

Not sure about dessert yet - that's Mrs Billy's domain. A boozy trifle has been mentioned though. I'll be happy with some good choccy and a glass of whiskey.

Around 7pm, I'll have a turkey and pickled onion sandwich on Brennan's white pan (butter on one slice and salad cream on the other), and a mug of tea. Durty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Never cook turkey without a meat thermometer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'm cooking meat for just myself this year and struggling to decide on what to do. Wife is vegetarian and we'll have all the usuals; mash, roasties, nice veg etc as well as a beetroot wellington for her but I want something decent for myself. Thinking of maybe duck or a small porchetta but not sure if that's a whole lot of effort for just a few portions.

A small porchetta is easy and great for sambos over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭sekond

We used to alternate Christmas dinner between my house and my parents. But since my Dad died a few years ago, it seems to have been assumed that it will always be at mine. I don't mind too much - it's only Mum who comes for dinner (other relatives come for drinks) so it means we are more relaxed at home.

If I had my way, I'd just do a boned and rolled turkey breast, but turkey soup must be served for "lunch" and Mum only eats the leg meat. So a full turkey is the only option. The ham is the star of the show for me. I make this one - https://www.myfussyeater.com/the-easiest-slow-cooker-christmas-ham-gammon-red-cabbage-salad/ (I have no idea how I stumbled across it, but it was such a hit the first time I made it, I am now forbidden from making it any other way, on pain of mutiny from the kids. I've never done the salad).

Vegetarian child has little tarts made from a vegetarian ragu (usually this one https://www.eatfiid.com/products/rich-sundried-tomato-lentil-ragu-case-of-6) and puff pastry. I also make a nut roast at some point during the run up to Christmas and freeze it in slices, to reheat when we are having the endless ham leftovers.

We do starters, usually salmon or prawns - but dinner is usually at about 6, and soup will have been at 1ish, so people are usually properly hungry.

Sides are brussels sprouts (even though we all only eat one!), carrots, green beans with almonds and garlic, mushy peas and celery. Potatoes-wise, I have managed to reduce down to just roast potatoes (Mum used to insist on boiled too), but then Kiwi husband has added Roast Sweet Potato.

Dessert will be a very small shop bought plum pudding (because I'm the only one who actually likes it, but we all enjoy the lighting on fire piece!) and trifle. I alternate each year with another dessert - teenager doesn't like anything with cream or raisins, so Christmas is a bit tricky for her! Haven't decided what that will be yet.

@sekond get a small rolled breast and a boned, stuffed turkey leg. They will take up way less room than a whole bird and stuffed leg is gorgeous!

Hmmm, maybe I'll have a word with the butcher and see what he can do. We're going away a few days after Christmas this year, so we don't even need all the usual leftovers.

Maybe he might give me some giblets for the soup too, and then we'll be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Sorry jumping on here as I'm hoping someone will know without me starting another turkey thread.

I usually do parcels with cooked ham and turkey but I can't remember if I cook the stuffing or just layered it in before I reheated them. I usually make my own stuffing. But with 18 + this year I'm going to just buy a few bags.

Anyone know if I need to precooked it or will the steam reheat to temp work ??

Sorry edited to add. Its only herbs and breadcrumbs so not a food safety issue. It's more the texture I'm thinking about

I (or as I said above, my Mum, because I'm not allowed do the stuffing 😁 ) always cook it first - whether it's going in the turkey or in a big foil parcel, which gets cooked at the same time as roast potatoes. Ours is just a herb/butter/vegetable/breadcrumb recipe too. I don't think that it would taste the same if it wasn't cooked first.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Yes that makes sense. I love it crispy. I better cook and cool it first. Thanks for the help. Hope you have a lovely dinner

I have the turkey legs boned, stuffed and rolled already 😀 and I've taken the back off, leaving a crown. I've made a browned stock from the carcass for poaching the crown in, too. I'll take pics tomorrow if I think of it.

I must remember to take a pick of the poached crown after I've browned it, as no one believes that a poached turkey crown can be presentable. The legs will be roasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

We stopped roasting a whole Turkey a few years ago and haven’t looked back since. Two large Turkey breasts cut open and stuffed with homemade chestnut & herb stuffing. Breasts are then twined (as they’re often over stuffed) and covered in herb butter wrapped in prosciutto ham. Foil parcels opened and browned at the end of cooking.

I also make quite a few stuffing balls wrapped in prosciutto. My stuffing is sautéed in the pan first with finely chopped shallots, sausage pork meat, chestnuts, breadcrumbs butter and a ton of herbs.

Ham will be cooked in cider & spices this year after using cola the last three years. My OH does a great job cooking the ham on Christmas Eve. The house always smells heavenly.

Roasties I’m not overly fussed on. My OH makes them, I’m more into having lots of veg. Green beans are a must, honey glazed carrots and Brussels with chestnuts & bacon.

I can’t wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Breaking my hand this week has made prep a slow and slightly painful experience. A finger or two of sherry has eased the pain.

Anyway, the stuffing is made and the roasting veg prepped. I'll leave the brusselers and red cabbage until tomorrow.

I'll pick up the turkey in the morning, and get the giblets on for the gravy. Hopefully, I'll get a spare carcass to throw in too. I'll also do the ham and spiced beef tomorrow.

Dinner on Christmas Eve will be gyozas for the kids, and homemade sausage rolls (sausage meat, black pudding and mango chutney) for myself and Mrs Billy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've 8 kilos of Ballymakenny spuds prepped and gone in the freezer today for roasting on Monday and Tuesday. Cranberry sauce is also done. I'll make the brown bread tomorrow. Have to do enough of that and the sauce for two households as I made the mistake of sending both around to my brother-in-law's family home years ago and his mother asks for them every year since.

Dinner tomorrow is teppen yaki, we've been going to a place in Rathmines for years. Back to the local for a few after that, then home to put the hooves up.

Goose has been thawing in the fridge since yesterday. Still rock hard.

Good luck everybody! No pressure but it is the highlight of the culinary year. 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Boned & rolled turkey crown

Boiled ham

Sausage & herb stuffing

All cooked tomorrow

Usual trimmings done on the day

No starter & trifle for afters!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Nothing do to here until the day itself.

Gonna do mushy peas and carrots like the OP. Sprouts for himself. Sausage stuffing for me. Bread stuffing for both. Veggie gravy. Quorn roast. Plenty of roast potatoes (par boiled, basted, sprinkled with kukarek, roasted at high temp and basted regularly).

Couldn't get a tiny ham this year, but I'll live.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ham is boiling right now and will be glazed on the day, trying to decide whether to brine the turkey crown (1.5kg, not big) or not.

'Only' cooking meat for four, spuds for six and veg for five - my sister is going to supply a vegetarian main dish, and my mother will have microwaved frozen veg as she hates taste.

Have to do it in a very constrained kitchen - except it has a modern 60cm double oven - so there's a lot of roasting. Roast glazed ham, roast the turkey, roast Maris Pipers, roast carrots/parsnips/red onions/garlic for veg.

Due to having a crown and hence no interesting bits to make it with, Bisto will supply the gravy.

Due to having a crown and hence no interesting bits to make it with, Bisto will supply the gravy.

Roast the crown on top of some carrots/celery/onions, then blitz them with the Bisto.

Nduja sausages rolls, stuffing, pork belly chunks (and sauce), cranberry sauce, mini crab cakes, turkey with herbed butter, ham boiled. All done.

Time for a ramble and a few pints in town.

Ham boiled and glazed.

And there's the stuffed turkey legs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

What time do people have their Christmas dinner at?

It will be the usual 1pm dinner time for us. Any later and people would be complaining as it messes up their set routine.

Advertisement