Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refusing to repay a penny of deposit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭SharkMX

But the landlord did notice. In this fictional case the landlord (who magically the tenant decided they knew they were evading tax, not registered and had been audited in the past) noticed when the tenant was moving out expecting that the damage they did was no problem at all.

Its 100% a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,597 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

That's the whole point of the inspection. For the LL to "notice" things ...

As for landlords tax affairs (as described) it looks fowl. Its irrelevant regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,078 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

One would presume that the tenant knows the landlords name. There is this new thing called "google" which could potentially find the same name in the published list of tax defaulters if you used it to search for that name. It's not inconceivable that they would know he was done for tax

Now they are a tax defaulter as well LOL. Would you ever calm down there. Talk about jumping to conclusions with little info.

They could be a Nigerian prince at this rate.

???

The OP said the landlord were audited and done for tax. Do you not understand what that means? If they didn't come clean early enough, they would end up on that list. The people named on those lists are actually real people - not imaginary names. If you find someone on that list who made a settlement for tax evasion, then you'd know they were evading tax. Nigerian prince or not. People who know the landlord personally might also know they were done for tax and word can get around too.

C'mon, this is pretty basic.

I don't know why some of ye are trying so hard to protect some anonymous landlord from a story. What difference does it make?

• Advertisement

Yes ive been audited and "done for tax" myself. Had to pay interest and penalties. I didnt appear on a defaulters list.

You are reaching.

This is a troll thread. No pics, assumptions of major crime by landlord. Miraculous op saved the day with a strongly worded letter.

Yep. Troll.

You appear on the defaulters list - as I said - if you don't come clean early enough and cooperate. If you did, then you sorted it before you got published.

I'll invite you to look at the link I provided to you and see that there are indeed names on the list.

Even if not on the list, people can still hear that others get done for tax. The same as you are posting here about it. They might let it slip to family members or friend or just be open about it "bastard tax man did me for 20k" etc.

Keep up the denial if you want. I don't see the point either way. The scenario in the OP is not exactly beyond the pale.

You are jumping for the clouds as usual. You just hate landlords. Ive read your posts in other threads. You think anyone who rents out a property is evil. I thankfully dont see evil whenever i looked at someone who will rent out a house. We need more rental properties. Ive been in a house where on a couple of our housemates decided to make life miserable for our landlord even though he had been nothing but good to us all. ITs not pretty

And the op was assuming the landlord isnt registered with the RTB either. It should be obvious to everyone in the country at this point that not appearing on an RTB list doesnt mean someone is not registered either. So how did they know that? And then claiming that the tenant could not get the rent credit because of something the landlord did.

Its s troll thread.

At the end of the day I feel I was raised well by my parents and if I damaged someone elses property I would be procative and arrange to get it repaired or pay for the damage. I see not everybody is raised the same.

• I would have appeared in the tax defaulters list to the tune of €1600 because, although I had completed Form 11, I missed a vital part of the payment step, this was some years ago and they’ve altered the website since which makes it more explicit that payment hasn’t gone through.

I settled immediately and payed the penalty, avoiding getting in that list, a list I take a browse through from time to time. I remember seeing a prominent surgeon on it, turned out in his case his accountant had failed to process the payment step.

Not sure why you want to perpetuate the victim mentality. There are a whole load of very sensitive "landlords" on here (whether or not you are one doesn't matter) who both believe that the world is out to get them, while also not being able to distinguish personal property from a commercial investment. See multiple posts on thread along the lines of "how would you like it if someone came to stay a night in your house and deliberately set fire to your couch".

One wouldn't see the same reaction on any other forum to anyone asking for advice. Posts are taken at face value. What is the point? If I posted to the motoring forum "Hi I brought my car in to have its oil changed and the mechanic charged me 1k because he said he also had to change some lightbulbs. Is this excessive?", I wouldn't expect the response "fu^k you you lying prick. The poor mechanic obviously fitted you a new clutch and undercharged you out of the goodness of his heart"

When you are resorted to ad hominem (based on your imagination I might add) it is merely because you have nothing else.

Question for you, do you know any person, even one, who has done something dodgy while they owned a house? Or do you actually believe that the act of owning a property means that a person is transformed into some kind of saint that would never lie or chance their arm at ripping someone off? Because there are a lot of chancers out there, and there are lots of people who own houses. You appear to be certain that the intersection between chancers and landlords is null.

• Advertisement

I know a man not to far from me who didn't appear on it, but had to make a large settlement with them. Everyone in the area knows about it. He wasn't hiding it because he blamed his accountant and bad advice so it was an open secret. He was also a little bitter at having to sell some property he owned as a result.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Some (many) people have ignored certain members on Boards, we no longer see what they write, not sure if they see what we write or not- but it's a great tool to use for certain people. They are not debating, they have an agenda- put that certain someone on your 'ignore' list, you will be much happier for it,

Says the fella who was able to lecture the OP on the extent of the damage, and the cost to repair it. Based purely on his imagination. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Have no time for dodgy landlords or for chancer tenants either but both exist. There seems to be a widespread assumption that landlords are evil and greedy and are evading tax at every opportunity but that list is not only for tax evasion.

I knew someone who was listed because they submitted the returns paperwork late due to illness. They had no family to get the paperwork sorted and they couldn't do it from hospital and then months of treatment and recuperation. They had actually overpaid the tax that was due, but got fines and penalties for late paperwork and it was the fines that appeared on the list.

Post edited by mrslancaster on

yes, some people just get penalties on the list. The breakdown is given for those named. So if you see someone with just a penalty, it could be just for failing to file returns. Below is an example for anyone not familiar. These are the first two (alphabetically) from Sept '23. Taken from the Irish Times. I didn't capture the names or addresses but those are available there for anyone who wants to see them. It's public.

I don't know why taking the OP at face value is being equated with a belief than landlords are evil and greedy. It's not a fantastical scenario that a landlord wanted to retain a deposit and the tenant genuinely considered that to be unreasonable. It has gone from describing a small mark on a counter to having to explain to people that some defaulters get publicly named. Mental. It is arguing for the sake or arguing.

Usual boardies attacking the poster. Displaying an impressive lack of knowledge about the process. Then throwing the toys out of the pram.

Deposit retention disputes are the most common dispute with RTB afaik. As is tenants trying to use tax as stick. But makes no difference with the RTB. Also slightly hypocritical if you knowingly continued renting regardless of tax issues.

Ignore function is as broken as the rest of boards is. Sometimes it works. Useful to clean up your ignore list, many of those you ignored eventually have been banned. So you can remove them and free up some space on your list. Boards doesn't warn you know when it's full and you might think it's more broken than it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Yeah but what about the poor put upon landlord with the marble countertop with the massive hole and the destroyed antique chippendale coffee table.

😁

Personally I have a lot of empathy with Landlords they've very little protection, with all the legislation being one sided.

Assume a different LL did rent a property with Marble, and high end furniture. Say apartment worth millions. Would the rules around deposit cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Look a landlord not registered in this day and age is probably trying to operate the old fashioned way.

And the old fashioned way was to avoid tax so they can then buy yet another investment property.

Hell some would still like to be paid in cash.

Or maybe of course they are a politician that can't find the time to register.

You'd repair it not replace the car. You made my point for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

The LL can deduct from the deposit for expenses above normal wear and tear, but they have to show receipts. A quotation isn't sufficient. We all know they probably won't get the work top replaced.

So you'd replace the "house" because of a scorch mark the size of a euro. Righhhhhttttt......

A tenant is not allowed to repair things without the LL permission.

Do you think, if you have a few students in the house, you'd let them fix a fault with the fuse board. Is that what normal people do. Maybe replace a hot water cylinder, or hop on the roof and repair the chimney flashing.

No way that could backfire...

Well you are wrong about tenants doing repairs...so does that....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement