Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord refusing to repay a penny of deposit

Options

Comments

Dead wrong.

the landlord can’t open a dispute without being registered but the tenant certainly can.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭chuchuchu

They may have a hard time proving that they are a tenant without the landlords saying it. If the landlord frequents the residence often, they may qualify as a licensee instead of a tenant. The SCC seems the quickest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I’m with the landlord on this one. OP you describe your sister as neat and clean - but it sounds more like college students were living there! In your thirties you should know that water leaves a mark as do whatever stickers were in the wall. I used Command to hang pictures in the last place I rented, and they literally left no trace. That’s because I researched it, not wanting to leave any damage. As for the burn - was she drunk or something? I think it’s odd that she’s expecting the deposit back given the damage to coffee table, sideboard and counter, less so the walls but it adds to it.

Are you joking or what? You do realise they’ve paid rent every week/month, presumably have a lease agreement, probably neighbours, there’s TWO tenants…

Proving they rented the place won’t be a major hardship, let’s be realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Check the RTB site before you post again.

Also, check the difference between a tenancy and renting under licence, there is a considerable difference between the two, non registration doesn’t take away a tenants rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I used Command to hang pictures and after a couple of weeks the whole lot fell down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭YellowLead

You must not have used the correct ones for the weight? Or not waited long enough for the part that attaches to the wall to ‘set’ before adding the second part and the picture. All I know is that I used them for three pictures and they stayed on the wall for 2 years, no issues. But maybe I got lucky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Second time I was very careful and only one fell off. Now it took a particular draught to move it, but you do have to open the door. I wouldn't mind but the fall damaged the frame of the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

The counter top , or thate damaged section of it needs to be replaced- There is no repair for it- that is expensive, and even if it's a small section,corner piece, the whole lot may need to be replaced if they cant get a match.

The coffee table-they damaged it, if it's easy to fix, like you say, have your sister fix it.

The walls, Ive had tenant's put stickers on walls that would not come off without taking a layer or two of paint, this meant a layer of compound, and minimum 3 layers of paint over that repair-Ifyou damage something, then repair or replace it yourself, if you feel the landlord is going to do it anyway-there is also the time and effort involved in doing these things and getting estimates etc

The Landlord should be registered, but that will make no difference to your sister getting her rent credit.

Personally, what I'm doing going forward, is keeping the deposit until the electric etc is taken care of, the last tenant didn't shut off the electric, it caused major headaches for the new tenant, the previous tenant didn't care how much they owed and have debts of over 40k, but they don't care, they run a cash food business and also get welfare and a council house-they are better taken care of than any of us will ever be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

Im not sure why you're replying to me when you openly stated you cant be bothered to read my post, Im taking it you havent ever read more than a paragraph of a book?

That said, I see the landlord breaching their obligations as a much more serious matter, they are in breach of the law, and they cant hold the right of judge/jury/executioner with decisions about the tenants money arbitrarily. The landlord appears to be in breach of the law! If they had complied with their legal obligations, they should be able to lodge a dispute themselves, but it appears they cant and just have no problem breaking another law by stealing the tenants deposit money, which is what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Update:

I am the original poster, sorry I have been away since yesterday.

My sister got the entire deposit refunded today on foot of a strongly worded letter to the landlord from me (I used to work in Advocacy for a semi state body) . The letter stated the LL was not registered, not paying tax and had prevented her getting the Renters Tax credit as a result. Landlord was breaching the law on a few different fronts. The idea of a report to the RTB and Revenue worked. All monies returned immediately.

The landlord was in breach of the law and as a result had no right to ALSO hold on to an entire deposit of 1500euro as he was already saving on tax and registration. He also has numerous properties! He was a fool for not negotiating with my sister, he was greedy on every front. The threat of a report to Revenue and RTB was enough to get a very quick response and an immediate refund. Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭HorseSea

As a matter of interest, does she still plan to report LL to revenue and RTB?

This is exactly what my sister did. It worked. We are delighted! Small burn mark or not, this landlord was winning on every front! Turns out he has already had a Revenue audit for tax evasion on a different business front and had to stop working , pay huge fines as a result. He obviously didn't want to go back down this road.

RTB have already been notified, but not Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Good for your sister. Delighted to see justice served.

Sorry you had to see the pure muck posted on this thread by some very angry people

thanks so much. I only read a few pages here and when I saw posters saying "house was destroyed and worktop melted" I laughed. My sister is almost OCD, always mopping floors, hoovering, cleaning bathrooms. She was so particular she didn't trust herself but got professional cleaners into the house last week. Anytime I visited I was so impressed with the place, it was sparkling.

The landlord was a complete bully, I didn't go into half the stuff that happened. Justice has been served and we are delighted. In these times of a severe lack of housing landlords are getting away with breaches and exploitation of tenants. I have been a landlord myself once and had a very poor tenant with damage (and I returned her full deposit!) so I can speak with a bit of insight here

Thanks for your support and for re-iterating the law on this! We rang RTB yesterday at 9am, and got speaking to a really helpful person. We also spoke to Threshold. This LL was completely in the wrong and my sister has been vindicated and refunded. If had been fully complaint it would have been a completely different story, but he wasn't and he ran scared as soon as Revenue and RTB reports were mentioned.

He was asked on numerous occasions to register his tenancy so she could claim tax relief, he refused. He had no right whatsoever to hold on to a full deposit under the circumstances!

Wrong. The tenant can get support and advice and lodge a complaint even if their tenancy has not been registered. Their landlord however cannot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

no pic of the damage to the work top.

your sister got lucky that the landlord folded with the threats. if they hadnt and went farther she would have to pay up for the worktop .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Move on. It’s sorted. Balance has been restored. it’s a storm on a counter top😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I used command hooks to hang my Christmas lights outside on the gutters. Just put them back out today on the same hooks for the third year in a row.

Use the correct item, install it correctly and it will not fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

I am glad your sister got deposit back. I would report this landlord to Revenue even if the RTB end up involving Revenue. If he has been audited before, clearly he has not learned his lesson.

It's just not ok to be doing what he is doing. Lots of people have income from the black economy but that does not make it right. People that don't pay tax are parasites. Their day should be up!

my sister didn't even take pictures of the house as she was that happy she had left it perfect ( a lesson learnt). The landlord took a photo but wouldn't pass them on when asked. I saw the mark once when I was over , it was the size of a bottle top. So I had no way of posting a photo.

over and out, case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Maybe bring it to the landlords attention instead of hoping they dont notice when you are moving out then. Gives everyone time to absorb it and come to an agreement what it takes to fix it.

Any chance of a picture like we've been asking for.

Im leaning towards troll original post at this point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If the landlord doesn't notice it probably doesn't need fixing.

Though surprises like finding the tenant has rewired or changed the plumbing might not be obvious.

But that's why the landlord holds the deposit in the first place. Gives them time to inspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Wouldn't matter if it was it not. It's a regular issue worth highlighting. Especially since it's a common issue and so many replying don't seem to know any of the rules (or practicalities) around it.

its 100% not a troll. believe it or not 2 weeks before Christmas I have more to do with my time than make up a story.

As already explained yesterday my sister didn't take any photos of the property as she was leaving (lesson learnt!) as she was so happy with the way it was left, professionally cleaned and everything cleared, all items removed from the garden. I had seen the spot which was the size of a wine top when I was there in the Autumn, when I was boiling the kettle, it was right beside it.

Landlord took photos but wouldn't send to her when this dispute happened a few days ago.

All ended well. I genuinely came on here to highlight this issue and get advice. We are delighted we won out over the bullying tactics of this landlord particularly as he is renting multiple properties in this town, all unregistered. We are glad we stood up to him and won on this occasion.

I won't be making any further comment here I don't have the time to defend myself over posters who think this is some kind of game.

Happy Christmas everyone

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement