Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury service, what do they know about you?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I was on a jury once outside of Dublin and it was at the swearing in stage that the objections were made. Our names were called out during the various roll calls, which made some of my colleagues very uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,226 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Oh yeah at the swearing in stage but once you started either swearing in or asked to affirm (you have to f'kin ask 🙄 ) it was too late.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,979 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The judge can be some surly ballax

There should be a way of trying to talk to the judge privately if you need to be excused. Instead of having to stand in front of everyone, made start swear the oath and try say 'can I speak to you' etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

We were instructed by court staff before entering the courtroom that when your name was called aloud to swear the oath, it was at that point you must tell the judge that you wish to be excused & not after you take the oath, not sure what would happen if you took the oath & then offered your excuse, immediately after taking the oath you are directed to take your seat on the jury

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Not much. They invited me for jury service and it was up to me to tell them I dont qualify cos Im not an Irish citizen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭apache

I've been called a few times but I don't qualify because of my job. I thought they would have recorded that after the first time.

You might have changed job and 'forgot' to tell them that you are now eligible for service 😁

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Can someone say for definite what the courts service do with the data (your occupation) that you provide when you reply to the sumnmons?

I was called for jury service. I showed up and listed to the instructions from the registrar and the judge. They then started to empanel a jury. My name was called, I stepped forward and took the bible in my hand. I don't recall the prosecution or defence looking me up on a list of potential jurors and their occupations to decide if they would reject me. As far I know, they knew nothing about me other than my name.

As others have said, the decision to reject you seems to be based purely on sight - the look of you. Is that correct or does the prosecution and defence get a list of names, addresses and occupations of the current jury pool?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

They've looked at those details before you walk into the room. I've seen it in a number of sources (such as https://www.thejournal.ie/jury-service-in-ireland-1385791-Mar2014/) that both sides have your name and occupation but I can't find any official source. My experience is they probably do have occupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

Many years ago I was called for jury service. In the selection process one chap had a three piece suit and an attache case. When he was called there was an immediate challenge from the defence. I can't help thinking he was dressed like that deliberately.

If you really want to serve on a jury, dress anonymously is my advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,271 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

If I'm called again, I'm going in full-on biker gear and the most obnoxious band t-shirt I can rustle up

I've served on two juries, I've done my bit.

I can see why people might want to see what happens the first time out of curiosity, but in reality sitting around for all or most of a week is a bore, and doing it a second time is just a pain.

First time around was a rape trial - it's common today to give long exemptions from jury service for these but we got nothing.

Second time around was an assault case - nobody on the jury could figure out how on earth the DPP thought there was enough evidence to prosecute, it was a waste of everyone's time. There was a very young looking prosecuting counsel, it seemed like a training run for her...

That was a lucky escape though, we had video link in the jury room as Mark Nash was being arraigned, I mean everyone recognised him and knew he was already convicted of murders and didn't want to be assigned to that trial for sure... some people in the same batch as me had to serve on his trial.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Occupation is important as some people are mandatorily excluded, e.g. they are a garda, while some have the option of self exclusion, e.g. a surgeon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Regarding how often there's an objection to a potential juror, my one experience was of being number 19 on a panel of 20 (for a sexual assault case) and the jury being completed by the time they got to panellist number 18 - in short, one in three people were objected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Objected to or self-excluded (maybe they knew someone)?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

objected to by defence or prosecution; there were (very rough guess) 80 people called for jury duty, 5 cases in front of the court, two or three of which went to trial so jury formation happened at the time.

those of us not picked were told to go home; no need to return the following day. it was the central criminal court, so they don't have a huge volume of cases they needed juries for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

BTW if there is a problem with you serving AFTER you take the oath, the whole process of selection may have start again. This happened in my experience when a selected sworn. in juror announced that he was unable to read or write

Advertisement