Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury service, what do they know about you?

Options
  • 06-12-2023 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭

I was recently called for jury service, my hand was on the bible about to be sworn in & one side decided they didn’t want me so was just wondering what information the prosecution or defence have about you as a potential juror or was it that they just didn’t like the cut of my jib on the day, just interested

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I wouldn't worry about not being picked. Its both sides prerogative to pick and choose if they don't like a juror for whatever reason. Could be any reason but it is not based on info about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

They know nothing about you, your juror number is called, you go into the court toom and proceed to get sworn in. The a certain number of rejection allowed without reason.

Someone more clued in on the issue will probably be along soon and can be more exact

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'd guess it purely on appearance and their preferred profile for the case being defended e.g. they may not want older, conservative people etc.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be good for defence team to have access to your personal details if you end up on the jury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I’m not worried or offended, each side can reject seven without giving a reason, I’m just interested in knowing what information they have other than I assume my name & address, that’s all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yeah, that's all really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Am curious, was your hand literally on a Bible? Is that used for swearing in?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

They know pretty much nothing about you but a huge amount of on-the-spot profiling is done based on your age, gender, clothing, comportment, general demeanour, etc. Jury selection is something of an artform and both sides will try to stack the jury in what they see as their favour, e.g. in sexual assault cases the defence generally want more male than female jurors, etc. It's a dance between the prosecution and the defence based on who they think is going to be most favourable towards their desired outcome.

Post edited by Dial Hard on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Allinall

They know your occupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

it's there alright, you can choose to affirm if the bible isnt your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,983 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Had it yesterday and got left off on health grounds due to an ASD diagnosis cert

Needs to be something more discret than been forced to go into the court room and swear an oath. I didn't know what I had to say because they flew through all the 'instructions' in the waiting room

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Exactly, they know your occupation and definitely use that as a factor which I know from experience. You'll find that if there is a money laundering case, for example, then the prosecution will probably go for people who work in roles such as IT/Admin/Accountancy because others might get way too bored making it difficult to present the normally tedious detailed evidence. Other than that its age, gender and possibly how you present yourself.

Yes, just above it a millisecond away from resting on it

On a side note, a good few were excused for the following, I didn’t notice any requirement for evidence, judge just excused on the spot

“I have a driving lesson for my driving test”

I have a hospital appointment

I have an interview

My Partner is a Guard

Dental appointment

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I got off jury service when I was in college because I couldn't miss a load of time potentially. I didn't have to go near the court though, there were instructions on the original letter I got outlining where to send certs or whatever proof back if I couldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

How do they know your occupation? It's not asked for when you register to vote. I just checked my entry in the register of electors and there's nothing about my occupation.

You get a jury summmons, you turn up. How does anyone in the courts service or either of the legal teams in the case you will be hearing know your occupation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Allinall

It's asked of you when you are being enpanelled in the court, as far as I can recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

IIRC you have to reply to the summons and I think they ask you for your occupation on the reply form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah I got called just before my finals , so sent in a letter from the college.

I'm hearing impaired now so I'd say I'd be exempt now, unless they want a juror who wouldn't have a notion about what's going on.

Just checked there, I had to supply occupation info when replying to summons

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Most of it is the cut of you.

If the defendant is Anto who's accused of dealing and anti social behavior they don't want Caroline the middle class accountant coming in, they'd prefer Jacinta the single mother.

If it's Tarquin from Dublin 4 who's accused of embezzling from his company they want the likes Geoffrey and Benjamin the finance bros not Paddy the farmer or Decco whos unemployed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Spent a week on a jury last year and it only took us half an hour to find the defendant guilty - The judge then gave him a suspended sentence!!

Waste of everyone’s time , sums up why there is so much crime in this country .

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Your role is jury, not executioner.

I went some time ago and would recommend the experience to everybody, the food was really nice, and its fascinating sticking 12 random people in a room and seeing how they get along. After that case I made promise to myself that I would never break the law in case I ended up on trial, not gonna lie some of those people selected hadn't a breeze what was going on, to think that somebody's freedom was in the hands of some of those people is frightening. Thankfully the case got thrown out after a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,197 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't think this is true in Ireland.

The culture among prosecuting authorities is very much that you take the jury you get. Unless there's a real issue, like one of the jurors has a connection to a witness or to the defendant, the prosecution doesn't often challenge jurors.

The defence does so a bit more frequently, but they have very limited information about the jurors and most experienced criminal lawyers are very aware of how unreliable stereotypes are. In the real world, Jacinta the single mother is much more likely than Caroline the middle-class accountant to live in a community ravaged by drug-dealing and anti-social behaviour; she is concerned about protecting her own kids; why would you assume that she is tolerant of this? Geoffrey and Benjamin the finance bros can read a set of accounts, won't be so easily blindsided by technical arguments about bookkeeping practices as others might be, and just might actually think that honest is important in the financial professions. There's no real reason to think that challenging jurors based on lazy stereotypes will, in the real world, have the effect that the stereotypes would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Hate to break it to you bro, friends a solicitor it's common carry on.

If Jacinta looks rough theres a higher chance she'll see Anto more on her level, the Gardai coming down hard cause he's from a disadvantaged background like herself.

The finance bros it's thought they see your man as one of their own, where as Paddy the farmer might see a rich fella that needs taking down a peg or two, same to Decco

There's how's things work and there's how you'd hope things work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I know a couple of people who got the letter and just didn't bother turning up. There was no follow-up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bobbyD1978

Neither side knows you're occupation. Neither side knows anything at all about you. They dont know your name, address, age or occupation.

The court service know these things but it's confidential.

Rejection is sometimes based on stereotype but a lot of the time arts ad hoc. If you sit in court you will see the prosecution isn't even looking half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The prosecution might not be looking but you can be sure the defence is.

Why on earth would the court service ask for occupation then if they're not going to tell anyone...?

I thought they were supposed to reject before the swearing stage started i.e. if it looked like you were going to affirm instead of swear they couldn't use that as grounds. At least that's what I recall from the two juries I served on

No-one should have to declare in court what their religion is or is not, it's easy to imagine certain jurors taking a dim view of non-Christians and if I was a defendant I'd be getting my hand on that bible for sure! The notion is archaic in the extreme.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,245 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Probably something similar to a disgraced ex-president.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well to be fair, I am indeed partial to painting myself blue and running around half naked

Everyone needs a hobby

Advertisement