Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I dont think you are getting my point at all. You are proving it actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭joe1303l

The new owner will often not be aware that they have bought an ex-Taxi and it’s likely it will have a lot less km’s on the clock also. Plenty less than honest traders out there unfortunately. Once it’s less than 4 years old, no NCT records to assist buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what are you looking at and what would be the equivalent ICE you are comparing to?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Shoog

Maybe because you point isn't very sound.

Should we allow flat earthers into the media just because they hold a different view of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Steviemak7

The oil industry is determined to halt the move to EV's and most of the press are beholden to them for advertising etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Civil Service milage rates for EVs are in the middle band 1500cc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the Ev fanatics can explain this better, but my understanding is that for many - if you sit down with pen and paper or a spreadsheet - an eV that costs somewhat more is acually so much cheaper to run if charging it at home on nighttime electricty, and savings in maintenance (no oil changes, almost no wear on brakes, far simpler service so cheaper etc) that the running cost balances out the purchase cost more than is immediately aparant.

But, again, does a long term calculation that is very specific to peoples individual circumstances with lots of ifs and buts make good clickbait? No, obviously not.

See you are triggered immediately and straight into the derogatory attacks equating someone asking for fairness in science and the media to flat earthers. This is exactly what im talking about. These days, not just in science or in the media there is pressure to just throw out anything that might oppose the point of view most held by the media. Its not just what we are talking about here though. Its people getting cancelled for not agreeing on all that gender stuff. Its also the reason we now have a housing crisis. Noone can dare speak out against the masses for fear, therefore nobody does. Any argument must be allowed to be opposed freely and without fear of consequences for the it to be tested properly and fairly. Where we are is not good for society or the planet at all. But its where we are and there is probably no going back.

What I stated was a precise analytical assessment of the merits of letting fringe opinions take equal standing in media coverage. If that triggers you then so be it.

There are serious consequences of allowing fringe theories take equal billing and in this case the "equality of opinion" position that the media took with regard to climate change stalled effective action for two decades.

Listen to yourself. You are exactly what I was talking about. You see someone you dont agree with and you are off. Enough. You win. I give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

My best mate is an estate manager in a social housing development - he regularly sends me photos of people with two extension cords plugged together, trailing across a common area, footpath, and into someones front window. Its an regular issue for him now - no one has driveways and he's the one that has to tell them they can't charge their cars.

In terms on the general point here - I think theres probably some confirmaiton bias at play. If anything, I'd say Irish media is probably slightly pro EV - and some of the vlogs and interviews I see just blatantly ignore issues or gloss over them. DD had a video there which suggested that a round trip to Belfast was just as quick and practical in an EV as in a diesel - then the lad doing it happens to slip in that he basically charged the car for 90 mins while at two separate service stops. Personally, 5 mins at a service stop is way more than I ever want to spend there.

You can have any opinion you like, but do not expect people to afford that opinion an equality of respect.

The media similarly has no duty to afford fringe opinions equal treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,535 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The main cost issue is that all new cars have become hugely expensive - not just EVs. People look at EV 'x' and balk because it's €50k - without realising the ICE equivalent is probably a similar price! And that's often without getting into spec - make that ICE an automatic, add navigation etc and you may find the EV cheaper! When I bought my old ID4, the nearest ICE equivalent (Tiguan diesel auto mid spec) was a whopping €13k more. Take pretty much any large / SUV style family car, add metallic and a mid range spec and you're straight into the €40ks unless you're at the bottom of the market. e.g. the most popular new car in Ireland AFAIK is the Hyundai Tucson Executive 1.6 diesel - this comes in at ~€42k on the road, and that's a manual, and not exactly EV performance either. Chuck about €4k more at it and you're driving away in a new Tesla Model Y - with 300bhp and way more spec - and much lower bills! Fancy a 7 seater ICE - bend over, because you're looking at €50k pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I've definitely noticed the emphasis placed on vehicle fires, even though there have been plenty of ICE fires over the years. If I recall, the Douglas shopping centre fire in Cork was a Zafira that was under a recall notice.

nothing to say to this really only wanted to say Hi, i remember you from the good old BMW-Driver days 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭thehairygrape

I’m not, that’s the point. I have a 152 diesel that I will run in to the ground rather than spend my savings on an expensive EV. My wife did look at the cost of replacing it with a new car. Difference was about €9000 between ICE and EV. Both are beyond our budget. My point above is that ALL cars are overpriced. Initial cost is a huge barrier to upgrading, and an even bigger barrier moving to EV. Not much point talking about running costs. We can always come up with €100 to fill the tank. Coming up with 35 to 40k in one go is just not on for most people. That initial cost is anywhere from €9-15 k higher with an EV.

With the rapid advances in battery technology I’m not convinced that second hand EVs will hold their value.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭thehairygrape

You are probably right with the confirmation bias - I did watch one anti-EV video and scrubbed through another and my youtube feed is now filled with that kind of content. It will probably go away in a few weeks if I don't interact with it but it just goes to show how the algorithm can draw you down a rabbit hole. These videos while ostensibly are about the cars and their lack of redeeming features, the creators pepper in other conspiracy theories.

I can see how someone could go from thinking EVs are a bit ****, to EVs are being forced on us by governments wanting to take away our freedom, where climate change is a hoax and vaccines are only to control us.

I also agree with you that Irish media tends to be generally supportive of the adoption of EV's so I'm also referring to the broader media landscape which includes the mainstream in the UK and social media generally.

I was also curious if others had encountered aggression on the roads that they thought could be attributed to the type of car they drove.

the point is that like for like its very unlikely the difference is 9-15k for an EV versus an Ice (an equivalent ICE) but i agree with you that if you havent got it its a moot point.

But you dont need an expensive EV, you could buy a used Leaf or BMW I3 for example.

• Advertisement

Spoke to a senior-ish finance guy in BMW recently. They were told to get as many EV's on to PCP for that very reason (second hand values). They want the banks to be lumbered with them rather than the dealers once the solid state tech comes on line and cuts the arse out of the current models values.

Will probably move over to a full EV for the family car a few years down the line - the 318d has been exceptionally reliable, wife loves the touring, and it owes me nothing. The i8 is my own daily and has been a good eye opener into how useful a hybrid can be to be honest - 18km max range and I've gone two months without seeing the petrol pump on occasion - suits my journeys pretty well. Think people need to just do their own homework and see what will actually suit them.

Very few of us get to buy new cars, ICE or EV so the price of new cars is mute. The issue is that EVs are only just starting to filter down the second hand chain so for the next few years at least most of us are stuck with second hand ICE.

I think when I come to replace my diesel car I will probably try to choose a Toyota hybrid as a half way house.

Two EVs at our (one mine and one my parents) house so we are well used to them and happy to drive them over ICE. But a few months ago I met a neighbor (didnt know she was a neighbor at the time) at Coynes cross charging her EV. She was chatting away to the people in front of her and came over to me when she saw me. Im in a 231 car now so she proceeded to speak to me like I hadnt been driving EVs for over 8 years and started telling me what i would learn and enjoy about them. Anyway I always entertain people like this because im polite. Same conversation at every charge point. Its like women talking about their children. Interesting to them but not to anyone else, unless that person is waiting for their turn to go on about their own children.

So i went in for some food as there were 3 people in front of her and then me. I came back out after about 45 mins and the person in front of her was another 20 mins before plugging out and said the charger had stopped wasnt starting again. Over she goes and couldnt get the charger working. I went over to help. She called the number but it was Saturday evening and they wouldnt be able to fix it. I jumped in the car and went to Tesco while she was on the phone. There was only 1 car on the charger there. The neighbor arrived 10 mins after I did and i waited 20 mins talking to her before I got on. Then i spent 20 mins charging and left. She was after me.

I think I spent 2.5 hours trying to get a charge that day and neighbour lady at least 3 hours.

Fast forward to about a month ago and it turns out that lady is the local tidy towns and called into my parents about some new door initiative for the area. I was upstairs working. She was in the sitting room chatting and drinking tea and she asked my girlfriend about the lovely EV in the driveway (Assumed new EV owner speech again). GF said she loves it but it was a pain with the bad charging infrastructure.

Neighbour lady says "Oh its not bad at all, Ive never spent more than 5 minutes waiting on a charger and I've never seen one that wasnt working."

I think being treated differently on the road depending on the car you're driving is pretty standard to be honest. When I had the Cayman, diesel Golf and Bora drivers in particular seemed to be able to sniff me out - constantly had them driving up my hole, or undertaking etc. In the E30 or CRX its like the red sea parting - people waving, letting you in etc. The 318d tends to elicit no response from anyone, ever. I'd expect the same in any other white goods type car to be honest.

The Golfs? Generally they were just bog standard TDi's - the black plume of crap exiting the exhaust was always a giveaway. Never saw similar driving from lads in R's or GTi's. Was actually pretty bizarre how often it actually happened.

I never experienced as much aggressive behaviour towards me before, not when driving my Passat or any other car before that. My driving style hasn't changed either other than being quicker off the line these days. I don't drive slow to preserve range or any of that nonsense and the car is a bog standard ID4.

I find its mostly lads in shitboxes that are extremely aggressive towards me now. While that was always the case and they were never pleasant to share roadspace with, it just seems another level.

Maybe its just the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon at work though. Or just road behaviour is going through a dip again.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭dmakc

Best put on ignore, this poster has been known to insult those who don't share the same views

often lads driving the TDI with the red I thought they were driving a vehicle with Golf R levels of performance, it must have been the extra torques 😁

• Advertisement
Advertisement