Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interclub 2024

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

just to add that the straight into matchplay would also tend to be over another weekend all grouped together again at a new venue, so maybe last 16, then quarters on a saturday, and a semi and final then on the sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭big_drive

I thought there was more of a buzz around the place in the old system. Loads of games going on around the course, word coming through that a certain club might be winning/losing. Big enough crowds of spectators. I thought it felt like something more important

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

must have been ripe for some dodgy scoring?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Not really, The home team more often than not would be the top Qualifiers. If you had 4 cards playing to the Handicap of the comp or even on 1 worse you tended to be in the top 4 easily enough

Quick search found this as an example

Junior Cup At Greystones Golf Club on Saturday 25th & Sunday 26th May

(Par 69 - JC at the time was for 5+ Hc, so +20 (296) over would be playing to H/C) - Weather might have been bad that day!

Qualifying:

314 Greystones; 316 Kilcoole; 319 Charlesland; 321 Woodbrook, Dun Laoghaire; 324 Blainroe; 325 Glen of the Downs; 326 Old Conna; 327 Wicklow; Delgany; 330 Powerscourt; 334 Druids Heath; 340 Druids Glen; 341 Bray; Killiney 351

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Unfortunately very few clubs are willing to give their course up for a weekend in summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

In munster it worked well enough. always a buzz on the saturday morning with the variety of teams around the courses.

Fairly taxing though coming back on the sunday to play round 3 & round 4 if you were to win it out.

Home club an obvious advantage but it was a level playing field for everyone else. chance to showcase your club too and generate some open comp traffic

makes SP achievement in the last 10 years all the more impressive, winning consistently across multiple formats

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bobster453

True for ya tho I remember one weekend in Clonmel and the stimpmeter must have been 20+ on the greens they were that fast.Think the home club won also think the Munster GUI were not too happy with greens being so fast.

Great weekends they were indeed..exciting buzz

well sometimes

"the last raffle I was at was interesting, the people who ran the raffle won the raffle!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

Is jimmy bruen a combined 14 Hc with a min of 3.5? Can I enter as 10.5? Stupid question probably

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Yes, you probaly would be paired with a 4/5 hc

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

Yes you can, but you'll need a 3.5 or more as a partner. Quite a large gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Ceist re the new format for some comps. so you will still be home or away, with a 2-2 result meaning a playoff at the club drawn at home. My question is does the pairing to be involved in the playoff need to be predetermined before the match kicks off? or is it up to the captain to decide which pairing will participate in the playoff after the matches finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Yes I read predetermined also

but how does that go? Which team venue is it played

is it pairings that have already battled against each other or could they be facing off for first time in this playoff

what if captains pick their pairings for the playoff but these pairings are playing at different venues….. I haven’t seen answers to these questions

what used to happen….. maybe 20 years ago I was playing best cup. Was 3 home and 2 away but halved matches were allowed. We had a match that tied 2.5 to 2.5. The match which was the last match alive were the ones to go on and play in playoff.

as it happened it was us, we won our match something like 3&2 but lost playoff as were giving shot on the first hole ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Eventhough it's now 2 v 2 there will still be a nominated team which will be drawn at home. Play off if needed will be played at the course of the club drawn at home. Or at least that's my understanding of it.

Way too much chopping and changing going on in recent years. Every year there seems to be a different format and handicap range. Getting rid of competitions, bringing back competitions that they got rid off. Mind boggles.

I know they say their decisions are based on feedback from clubs. Is this going to an annual thing?

have to agree with this

Way too much chopping and changing going on in recent years. Every year there seems to be a different format and handicap range. Getting rid of competitions, bringing back competitions that they got rid off. Mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

Never mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

As I said earlier in this thread.... Ridiculous decision to reduce the amount of pairings from five to four. One trial already, over thirty players trying out for eight spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

Spanish Point Out of Pierce Beaten by Shannon GC in Playoff

biggest upset in sport since Buster Douglas

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭mooz

There'll be some inquest in SP over that loss!!??😜

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

The Handicap secretary has surely resigned or been expelled from the club

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is there somewhere you can go to see all the InterClub competitions listed, with their formats and entry/handicap requirements detailed?

I tried the Golf Ireland site but couldn't find much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Good info at this link. If you click on the links in the All-Ireland & Regional Competition Guides Section there is a doc with loads on detail

https://www.golfireland.ie/club-hub-detail/2024-inter-club-information-pack

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Advertisement