Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interclub 2024

Options
  • 01-12-2023 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

A few changes for next year. Here are some of the main changes.

• Purcell and Bruen return to the handicap ranges used in 2022.
    • A few competitions, including the Purcell and Bruen, reduced from 5 pairings to 4. Allows even split of pairings when match is played over both clubs.
    • Any events with even numbered teams sizes (e.g. Purcell & Bruen) will have halved matches if all square after 18 holes. If a tie-break is needed then it will be played by pre-selected players.
    • New Mixed Fourball competition.
    • Some competitions go from All-Ireland to regional only. This includes the previously discontinued Men's Fourball for 15+ handicaps.
    • Senior Men's Interclub (Fred Perry) changed from over-55s to over-50s. Will also be run as a regional competition only. (The day of becoming a senior golfer is suddenly very close 🙄)
    Post edited by paulos53 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NedBagg

Its hard to understand what they are trying to do here reducing 5 teams to 4?? I don't understand it... if I have 2 teams away and 2 teams at home and it is a draw where is the playoff game played?? Makes no sense to me also means fewer players involved... strange??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭big_drive

Exactly the things I thought. It means less lads get to play and it's already disappointing for many players that don't make the team. This will reduce participation further.

And on the play off thats the obvious question, how do you decide which course it happens on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Reducing the amount of pairings is an awful idea. Can definitely see a lot of players losing interest in these comps with a reduced chance of playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭The Guru 123

I presume there’d still be a team with the “home draw” and the play off hold if required would be played there. Similiar to how Barton Shield is done where there’s a pair at each course.

I do think it’s a silly idea, team with 3 at home is a serious advantage but that’s just all part of it.

100% , if anything why not try increase participation and increase the number of pairings to 6 or 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Probably because people find it hard enough to get time off work as it is and then you're just left with some 10 lads who are retired or single and can do whatever they want.

I can definitely see why they have done it because there are probably lots of smaller clubs who struggle to field teams because of these reasons and where they got lots of late withdrawals. Having said that, I'm not a fan of the change myself

With all due respect SP is regarded as "small club" and it never affected them (or their ability to win, unfortunately).

Were clubs consulted on this?

What were the handicap ranges in 2022, what's different there? I can't remember

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

I think you're absolutely spot on with this, even if I don't agree with the change. I think 5 pairings made it exciting in that one team knew that had to get an away win to go through. I suppose they still do in fairness, but the 3:2 split was a great part of it IMHO, luck of the draw and all that.

Can definitely see how small clubs might struggle to field teams though. In my own place its the same names cropping up on team after team, year in year out and its not like its a closed shop, life just gets in the way and unfortunately for a lot of guys now, inter-club doesn't really come on their radar. Didn't the Metro go from 9 to 7 players a few years ago too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭paulos53

Golf Ireland sent out surveys to all clubs and this is the result of the feedback.

• Advertisement

Fair enough.

I still find it hard to believe though.

It's almost like someone is trying very hard to destroy the bruen/ Purcell comps....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

We've a fairly large membership and struggle to fill panels. It's hard to get people interested and committed. We've looked at not entering some competitions where the handicap ranges overlap to avoid playing same golfers on multiple teams. Even when we do fill panels, there are a lot of withdrawals in the early rounds around May due to communions and confirmations, leaving it to managers to fill in.

So I'd say the changes are to try to help with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

A question for the uneducated, in a match play with an even number of pairings, so moving to 4 from 5. How does the playoff work, is it a whole new match, or an extra hole for the last pair out? Something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

If a tie-break is needed then it will be played by pre-selected players, players picked before matches begin i'd imagine - I would then say the pre-determined ''home draw team'' will have the holes pre selected for the playoff, in the event of a tie match.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

the pre selected pairings will go down the 1st hole for sudden death

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

I'm glad to see the Bruen ranges go back to the original as last years were too high, however the reduction to 4 pairings is just wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Really unsure about the changes to this. I think the purcell/bruen do need some changes but I dont think this is it. I would wonder about the logic behind it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Feed back from Clubs was they were having difficulty filling teams so reduction from 10 to 8 players. This also takes out the home advantage of 3matches, essentially now Home advantage only comes in for the potential Play off game.

Still a better system than the previous strokes qualifying where home side always had a massive advantage. Gives alot more teams the chance to get deeper in the comp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

Don't think any of this will address the real problem with pierce purcell, ie the serial winners. This is Probably more of a reason clubs can't muster enough interest. Not a level playing field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

I always thought the strokeplay qualifying worked well. The skill level was foursomes strokeplay to get rid of the poor teams and them onto matchplay. It created pressure to qualify which gave the competition a unique edge and excitement waiting to see did your score hold up to qualify for the matchplay

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭WH BONNEY

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

So has the PP gone back to scratch then? That's a great move if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

the old way of 1 weekend with loads of teams was great

maybe 20 teams playing on day 1 strokeplay with top 4 qualifying to play second day , semi in the morning and final in afternoon

then knockout run on similar weekends after that

Clubs seemed to welcome running the weekends, brought revenue and visitors into their clubs.

It only moved from this format because of Covid... I guess it won't be returning anytime soon

changes look crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

I didn't play interclubs pre covid, have only known the home and away element and I have to say that I really like it. The only issue is the time commitment needed is significant enough

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Have to say, I prefer the way it all was pre covid.

A cohort of teams all in one venue for the weekend felt more like an event. And you could plan towards and look forward to.

This home and away matchplay lark in each round doesn't do it for me.

Actually, Senior Cup and Shield has gone back to the old format like this from this year. I assume clubs voted for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

so how did it work exactly before?

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Roughly 20 clubs would all play at the same venue over a weekend (sometimes 2) Saturday would be stroke play, lowest 4/5 cards to count.

Lowest 4 Clubs qualify for Match play on the Sunday, Semi in the morning, final pm.

The Sunday winners from each venue then went into match play against each other

Think this might have been more a Leinster thing due to numbers. Majority of teams would be eliminated after 1 week end. Straight MP now gives 4 rounds of matches to eliminate the same number of clubs. Teams feel like they are having a run when still in the comp after 6/8 weeks and a few matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

It was the same in Munster but without the strokeplay. Straight matchplay on Saturday morning. You would probably play 4 matches over the weekend in the one venue if you kept winning. The winner on Sunday evening then went on as you say to play another region's winner at a neutral venue

Advertisement