Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane McGowan RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I can't imagine how that guy can be serious to say something like that. Shane had a remarkable life and his work has a legacy that'll carry for generations.

Having family and friends falling over each other yesterday to celebrate him was a tribute to how loved and appreciated he was. His wife said in his last six months in hospital he was never alone with the amount of his friends visiting him for a chat.

His addiction issues were unfortunate but they clearly did not ruin or destroy his life. Unless you believe the only goal in life should be living until 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

There's a few posters on here that need to search around and find a thread titled " I'm so self conscious about being Irish and what will the rest of the world think of us" . Sad to feel so inferior and inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Well the guy achieved logging onto boards today at least I guess , not sure how many world class hits he's knocked out before breakkie though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Oh what will they think of us dancing in church, Who gves a fcuk what anybody thinks. Should everybody act and think the same way at all times like a bunch of robots. Sad sad mindset to care so much what others think. Funeral fit for a king and will long be remembered and enjoyed by many especially in tipp. Thank god he was born when he was because im sure he would have been censored by all media and and dragged through the gutter on cesspits like twitter with all the freaks in their echo chamber these days. RIP Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭rolling boh

These funerals now seem to be social media events and mainstream TV coverage is way over the top .A lot of people in the church holding up cameras really just to see Johnny Depp and other well known faces most had proberly little interest in Shane Mc and his music when he was alive .No harm in the funeral being streamed but a lot of tv coverage is too much .I reckon a lot of the 'mourners' yesterday wouldn't bother going to a concert when he was alive .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Surely you accept that people wanting to be the centre of attention at someone's funeral might warrant criticism too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

So your main problem is Gerry Adams made a speech... Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I only saw a bit of fairytale. Was excellent

Hansard is turning into Ronnie Drew

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Not fully accurate

John Lydon was a genius too

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jez, don't be telling Hansard that. His ego is already getting too large.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭HBC08

John Lydon is a spoofer and gets too much credit as it is.

I've meet him a few times and his ego really outshines any discernible talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭jucko

great musician, better businessman.

i remember him spray painting "the frames"on dublin hoardings.. self publicising him and his band. He worked very very hard. Starred in an iconic film, or 2.. and now a mega successful solo artist.

best of luck Glen Hansard, you done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Lot of ppl have said similar to me - goodbye Shane, you were great, but ffs the funeral service was way over the top -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

It was a send off that befitted the man, yes it was different but so was he, it wouldn't of been right to have a morbid run of the mill funeral, with all the stereotypical weeping and wailing with everyone draped in black and misery, he lived how he wanted to live and I think he would of been happy with the send off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

I wouldn’t normally be on the same page as you but you’re spot on here.

RTE shoved it out to RTE News Now because they simply couldn’t work out how they felt about the plans for the mass (they would have known in advance who was going what the readings were etc).

This is not how RTE and the establishment in general want us portrayed to the rest of the world. They are obsessed with being seen as a progressive modern society free from the confines of Catholics blah blah blah blah and this was going to be what they see as paddywhackery in extreme.

My daughter’s English mother in law, a woman embedded in Brexitism, a committed royalist Tory voting creature, watched it from beginning to end on BBC News. She was utterly in love with the whole thing and says she will buy the DVD if such a thing were available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

You would wonder why so many of us are utterly embarrassed by being Irish. The funeral was very much like how I remember impromptu gatherings of music sessions.. more so in the past, I guess.. but we seemed to have forgotten it to go by many posters in this thread.

If you gather that many lovers of music, song & poetry in one place, well it’s going to happen, church or no church. I thought it was brilliant and sums up Shane McGowan to me.

As for Dave Fanning playing to the international crowd of music & songwriting appreciation - hope someone told him to fook right off after he spat that shite out. Soulless commentary, Fanning should know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Fanning is some knob, hes that far up Bono's arse he's nearly out his mouth. Had to make a comment to make himself feel relevant. His beloved bono could be there for the next thousand years and he would never write a rainy night in Soho, a pair of brown eyes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

The music etc was lovely, it was just the cameras and phones being held up constantly, as well as Victoria’s speech, were just bizarre. She should have left it for the wake and phones should have been banned. What is the need for flash photography when the whole thing was filmed?

Who are you to tell bereaved people what kind of a funeral they should have for their family member?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Exactly, the MacGowans or Tipp people, in general, don't a monkeys about the church or priests. They're not going to ask anyone what they can or can't do at a funeral. They're going to do whatever they want. That's the way it should be. You often hear of people being told by priests that they can't do this or can't have this song or show this... why would you ask? Just do it.

• Advertisement

Haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭hero25

Was one of the lucky ones who got to be in the Church Friday. It was an unusual atmosphere, respectful, yet teethering on the edge of almost anarchy at times. Both Nick Cave's rendition of Rainy Night in Soho and the collective rendition of FairyTale were special, spine-tingling moments. I'm sure that Victoria and the McGowan and Lynch families were in some way consoled with his tremendous send-off and isnt that what a funeral is meant to be.

You think there can be mass without a priest?

Oh please!🤣 Continue! (I love when people think they know about what being a catholic is when they don’t). Please share with every one how you could be at a catholic mass without a priest. Can’t wait.

Changing the goalposts now? I never stated any or that. Reread my post.

You don't know?

Catholics are supposed to worship even in the absence of a priest. I'm not even Catholic and I know that. Plenty of Masses in the absence of a priest...

Plenty of people have told me, that they go to Mass and never listen to or respond to the priest, for all kinds of different reasons, from boredom to anger. They go to worship.

What your telling me is, us that you don't know what a free-thinking Catholic is. Which MacGowan was. Also, this is an RIP thread. I'd rather not deviate from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭rogber

Free-thinking and Catholic are contradictory terms. No one who believes in that pile of sh*the run by paedos and women-hating corrupt priests can claim to be a free thinker.

Shane's mind was ruined by booze.

But the songs will live on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭rolling boh

I don't think people have a problem with the music etc at the funeral just the overall coverage was a bit much on TV. Seeing people with cameras in the air in the church really just there to see celebs is not that respectful to me .It's only my opinion of course and while I am older so the phone is not my go to item at anytime I see or attend anything I realise its different for most folk these days.I am proberly in the minority but I would have little interest in going to a funeral of someone I didn't personally know .

What?!? Where do you believe these masses without priests are taking place?

Is there a mass without a priest taking place somewhere right now? You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Catholics can worship without a priest.

They can worship in many different ways.

You don’t have to go to a church to worship.

But the Sacrament of the Eucharist (mass) can only be celebrated by a catholic priest.

You simply don’t know what you’re talking about so you’re making it up as you’re going along. Is that a habit of yours in other areas?

Did you actually think that Shane McGowan could have a Requiem Mass without a priest?

Do you even understand that the priest celebrated a mass for Shane and that’s what you were watching on TV?

Bitter, aren’t you? Shane never lost his religion.

He adored Jesus Our Lady and the Saints. He planned his own funeral mass. He died while a priest was administering the last rights.

He was a daily communicant until recently.

This all makes you feel bitter and resentful.

You used to think that calling priests paedos and woman haters made you seem edgy and cool.

Now you just seem bitter and sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sorry now but a lot of ppl (10+) said that to me over the past 2 days - that they respect Shane and his talents - but the funeral service was over the top and too much.

Someone remarked that Victoria is “mad for the attention and always was”. I don’t know about that as I know little about her.

I will say she sort of reminds me of the vibe of Philo Lynott’s mother - presenting a “showbiz” version to the world.

• Advertisement

I would agree that she appeared to be delighted to find herself in the role of celebrity widow at long last. She’s not the first and she won’t be the last.

The fact remains that we can’t, and shouldn’t, try to police peoples family occasions on the grounds that they might offend our sensibilities.

Advertisement