Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane McGowan RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I felt the same about the dancing in the church. I cringed. It seemed forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It was a circus. And it went around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Ah lads, worse things than dancing went on in churches the odd time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I'd agree let his partner bury and then grief anyway she sees fit.

My beacon comment with Cave was in relation to how he has developed and helped countless people despite his huge grief. To paraphrase him your choice is to whither and calcify into something forlorn or grow in grief despite how difficult and hopeless it seems.

I listen to a lot of dead musicians many with terrible addictions thoughtout there life. Most had short careers with most of their great stuff early on like Townes van Zandt and the like. Its just a huge pity and waste.

The last song you posted, Death is not the End, is from the Murder Ballads.

Its the only song on album there is not at least one person murdered. There's a quote somewhere from Cave that he had no killing in song but he brought Shane along to murder the song 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭maximus15

Dancing in church is prob just the way modern life is going , hard to get used to tho . Seeing the sister I think jumping over a seat like a hurdle to get up to dance was prob the stranger sight .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,809 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Wait till you hear about the other things that happened in Irish churches that made it around the world.

What you're talking about made the circus today even more bizarre.

There was a lot of lunatics there today.

But Irish people like glorifying alcoholics and drug addicts in death.

I have no problem with him saying MacGowan or anyone else is overrated.

But to use the Rolling Stones, Beatles and Nick Cave as examples of the opposite is laughable to me. Stones and Beatles are just a phase people go through as far as I am concerned and Cave is one of those artists like Waits who "musical experts" like Fanning love to jack off to themselves telling the rest of us that only they are smart enough to appreciate.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,174 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Fans may enjoy his music today, cos once Xmas is over it'll be few and far between that you'll hear a Pogues song on irish radio.

• Advertisement

Unless Tipp win the next few All Irelands and The Pogues become the new Cranberries.

Before you know it Munster and Ireland will latch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Imelda May dancing with his wife around the coffin...Imelda must know the power of a viral clip.

Sur isn't it great for Johnny Depp to head home to the Shtates and tell everyone about them mad Irish yokes dancing and lepping around at a funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭spakman

Jesus ye are a miserable shower. They celebrated his music and his life, and that included dancing. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Very very weird. A lot of them there like hansard and May are the ultimate hangers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I agree with the comments towards the phones in the church. I hate the habit of recording everything. It is detestable.

However MacGowan was a hellraising entertainer who lived a very unconventional life. Many of the people at it are entertainers all living unconventional lives. Artists. Creators. Impulsive. High energy. It was a funeral befitting of him and was never going to be your run of the mill funeral. I thought it was all brilliant. Even the communion story, 100 acid tablets and the Amber Heard comments. So what, I really doubt Johnny Depp gave a crap these people have different mindsets. He'll remember fondly the chats with his friend Shane.

I don't get some of the attitudes here. I'd be quite a live and let live person I guess. I'm sure he had input into how he wanted it to go. He has been unwell and failing for quite a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I find it weird that people are begrudged for paying respect to the passing of their friend with a bit of a hooley.

Shane would have cackled at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

• Registered Users Posts: 33,174 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Exactly.

Do you hear SOC songs on the radio much, cos I don't. Despite them telling us all how much of a musicial genius she was too, and one of the country's greats.

Surprised there is no mention of Dempsey yet. The holy trinity of hangers on in the Irish music scene.

Bono couldn't make but I assume that's because the Dutch lad is out of visit days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I didn't see it at all but there was a few more music performances. Mad event, would buy the album.

Imelda May & Declan O'Rourke - "You're the one"

Mundy & Camille O'Sullivan - "Haunted"

The Pogues - "Parting Glass"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The best 'send off' I have ever seen. Superb. Would genuinely make you pride to be Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Nobody listens to the radio in this day and age... let alone irish radio...

Over 250 million downloads on spotify.

Yes, he's making half a million in royalties a year off one song. But i hear McGowan's music in a lot of programmes and shows - from Ted Lasso to The Wire to Dash and Lily to The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Polar101

And Dave was a miserable ******** and a *****'s *******'s *****.

• Administrators Posts: 53,503 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah here, with all due respect I think you and others need to get over yourselves. You are displaying the very worst of the Irish inferiority complex.

"Oh no, there are happy people at a funeral and it's on TV! What are all the Brits and yanks watching this going to think of us???!".

He was an imperfect person who was a phenomenal artist and I think the funeral was an accurate reflection of the man, and fair play to them for this. Certainly better than the alternative faux-sincere play of misery. Wish more funerals were like this, it'd be far better than pretending that Joe Bloggs or Jane Doe who died led a secretive pious alternative life.

IMO it takes a particularly miserable type of person to come on the internet and whinge about that funeral today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Downlinz

It probably perpetuates a fairly harmless stereotype to the yanks that Irish people celebrate the person at death rather than mourn, a lot of them are looking at events in Nenagh with envy and thinking "that's how funerals should be done".

It's not actually how the vast majority of funerals go down in Ireland at all but to be honest I'd rather go out like that with people who cared for me toasting my memory as opposed to the weeping and the sadness.

Victoria's words on how Shane hated funerals and the negative feelings associated with them was striking, I think today was a funeral that he probably would have enjoyed because it seemed like everyone there did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Poor George Murphy couldn't get a word in edgeways.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Something I noticed was how the people came out to celebrate McGowan. Whatever folks say about the celebrities, the people being on the streets... it said quite a lot about how much he meant to them. Thousands lined the streets, and I was genuinely surprised, in a good way, about how much he meant to people. He made many friends, and sadly his biggest enemy was himself. Especially his addictions and the toll they took on his body.

There have been other musicians who've died this year, who's passing and their impact felt...exaggerated. As an outside observer, I felt like one or two had burned their bridges so spectacularly , that few spoke to mourn them. Even as the media tried to note their importance, the lack of 'impact' on the everyday folks stood out.

With McGowan, it was the opposite. I think the loss was very much felt. It was even understated, in many respects. He connected across many generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

99% of people under 40 either haven't heard of Rolling Stones & The Beatles or don't give a toss about them.

A bit like kids in the 60's not giving a toss about Caruso or John McCormack.

Its just 60+ Boomers and vinyl collectors who care in 2023.

It's ironic that the Beatles were targeting the tween market when they were actually making their albums (Until maybe Sgt Pepper which was more prog).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Didn't Hackney Diamonds, the Stones recent album, top the UK charts? Sold more copies than the rest of the top 5 combined.

Collectors tend to be a niche market. 72,000 sales in its first week of release would say it connected with folks more than just the 40+ market, as you suggest.

Advertisement