Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Porsche Taycan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Have a 2023 Tesla Model Y LR, 20K kilometers and tow bar. Black and like new

Will swop for Taycan any model. PM me.

*holds breath*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

If anybody is serious about buying, then your option is a VAT qualifying in the U.K.and one that is less than 3 years old. Before I hear cries saying Vat registered only applies to Irish motor dealers, it doesn't - I bought a 6 month old Volvo dealer ex VAT for export from a main dealer. I gave them my PPS number instead of VAT number. Once the car is being exported, they have to sell it ex vat or else they are breaking HM revenue own rules. Some dealers will only sell on the basis you prove its being exported and get it collected on a truck or some hold the VAT back until you have it register in Ireland- thus proving its exported. If its less than 3 years old you can avoid the duty also- you need to get the services of a customs clerk to process it as temporary EU export - Im assuming the Tacan is made in EU?

The maths would work something like this - lets us this 2021 for example

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202310022591827?sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&make=Porsche&model=Taycan&postcode=n87ex&year-from=2021&fromsra

Retail = £60164 - ex vat that's = £50136 or 58224 eur. Add Irish Vat 23% = 71615. Add VRT which is probably 6k and its 77k - or similar money to that one in the Dublin dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Is there a customs clerk you would recommend or have used successfully in the past ? If you were to buy from a Porsche main dealer in the UK, would their warranty be valid with the Porsche dealer in Dublin. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭User1998

If the car is VAT qualifying it doesn’t matter how old it is. The 3 year rule is for customs duty only and is from the date of manufacture not the date of first registration.

Its also quite difficult to find a dealer who will actually sell you the car ex VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Woodie40

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

Thinking of getting one used - will insurance premium hikes on EVs hit us in Ireland as had been reported in the Uk too?

Nobody can really answer that to be honest. You’d need a graph of people’s insurance over the years to see a trend.

I paid less than €400 last year on a 500bhp EV so it will be interesting to see how it goes this year.

UK insurance went weird. I don’t particularly understand why?

Get a quote using a reg of a similar Taycan to what you intend buying, it’ll give you a fair idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

it will cost an extra €86 for the remaining 10 month of my policy to insure a Taycan Turbo over my 4 series with 123.

huge hikes in the UK driven by higher repair costs of EVs and most have to be written off due to minor prangs that involve the battery etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Its likely that insurance cost here for EV's will increase for the reasons above too- one example a panel beater in a large bodyshop gave me, is that they will not put an ev into an oven due to fire risk, and as such the drying time is much longer. They also said they are not permitted to do any welding on ev's unless the battery has been removed. Two simple examples of why the repair cost is higher

I know some small garages that their jacking equipment is not rated for the weight of EV’s too. Simple alignment becomes hassle!

The bigger guys are better equipped though.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ARJn

There are 610+ Tycan for sale in UK and increasing every day, what do the owners know that we don't

I heard its the battery replacement cost of over 40k (not sure if true)

But anyways there are 37 for sale under 60k Sterling many of which are Performance and 4s versions some under 20k miles ,I can't imagine why not to buy them,

Btw for records I hate Irish VAT and customs [Rant over]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I'd have a Panamera hybrid myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I suspect a lot of those availed of BIK (2%) and were traded in before the end of the tax year, also, delays in delivery last/early this year probably means a lot more buyers are getting their new cars in the second half of this year, but someone far more knowledgeable of the EV UK market may give a more intuitive answer.

Unlikely it’s anything to do with the battery as it has an 8 year/100K mile warranty. It does seem remarkable why so many of them are on the used market. On the pricing, maybe such a level of depreciation is pretty normal for such a high end motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭sh81722

I reckon it's just market being flooded with lease returns in UK. They did have very generous tax breaks.

Price reduced on this one. Only a 4 seater, smaller battery and a bit skimpy in terms of spec.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/35799952

Porsche Taycan 79kwh 300KW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭User1998

I think its all getting blown out of proportion a bit by people on social media.

The Taycan was a great tax incentive for businesses owners so therefore it sold well when new. All of those leases are coming to an end and the cars are now back on to the market.

I think a lot of people have forgotten that before all the supply issues this was completely normal. Luxury cars have always depreciate 50% after 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Maybe the market isn't there for a used Porsche EV like there was with the ICE as petrolheads aren't buying into them. I'm watching with interest though (but think it will be an Audi Etron GT that will represent better value first for me to possibly pull the trigger on)

I think the Taycan is far more impressive to look at than it’s Audi sister. Even the interior is much more distinctive especially when specced up. A lot of the used e-Tron GT’s currently for sale have no options on them in boring colours with black/grey seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I'll admit they are and the badge is much more desirable, however I think its that little bit flashy for me, and I don't say that in any disparaging way.

I am an Audi fan and do like the way they are a little conservative in design. Etron GT not exactly conservative but it is compared to the Porsche (front end really, they are more similar from other angles)

Anyway, still a bit away from looking seriously at either but potential for a bargain buy in the future isnt there? 50/60k is when I will start being serious.

I do think Porsche values will hold up better than the Audi too, there are 2 Audi 2022 models which are the cheapest in Ireland now at just under 80k, surely a few quid could be got off them, Porsche taking a year or 2 longer to hit the same price.

I never got to own an M5 or an RS6 or an ICE Porsche and dont think I will now, not enough of a petrolhead to buy one (had a 530i and 530d BMW) so the prospect of a 500bhp+ in a beautiful EV certainly appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 spudrick

None of the talk of mass depreciation I read about in the UK and US seems to be reflected at all in Ireland as far as I can tell? From the perspective of someone looking to buy used there doesn't seem to be much in the way of bargains out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ARJn

It will not reflect so soon , there will be at-least 1-2years of transitional period where car dealerships will make the excess profit before passing it on to end customers. Ireland discourages competitive markets in all parts of transactions.

In EU Mainland the price change in 1 country will just spread like wildfire across all countries because of free market forces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭v10

Can someone give some esxamples of a bargain Taycan 4Ss available right now, I don't see too many tbh.

Bargain is relative.

What’s a bargain for you may be expensive for me.

The cheapest one on DD is €75k at the moment and some have dropped to below £50k in the uk with thought they may hit £40k there in the new year.

Some of these were €130k plus.

• Advertisement

A lot of the UK cars also have £20K+ worth of options on them.

Advertisement