Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ride a Winspace?

Options
  • 27-11-2023 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at a Winspace G2 gravel frameset.

They have a good deal on (which seems to expire today) where you can get a frameset and carbon gravel wheelset for 1061€ delivered (with the likelihood of customs on top), or 740€ for the frameset on its own.

I'm willing to take the gamble of going the Chinese route at those prices but wondering if anyone here has tried one? They have great reviews on YouTube and Reddit but not sure if I would trust all of those.

I would probably put a SRAM Rival wireless groupset (preference would have been Shimano GRX but it's a bit too expensive) as they have a max 46 front chain ring (although 48 seems to fit).

Or any other frame suggestions out there for a Christmas holiday build project in the 1000€ price range? I'm trying to replace two bikes, winter road bike and gravel bike. So I need minimum 45mm tire clearance but want something that you can still take on a group ride on a different wheelset without feeling like the bike is holding you back too much. Lynskey also seek to have great offers on Ti frames

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

You might have seen already, but just in case not, there’s a local importer/reseller for Winspace.

I think that they had 15% for BF but seems to be finished now. Don’t know how that compares to the before duties & charges prices you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks hadn't spotted that, they have 25% off today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm willing to take the gamble of going the Chinese route at those prices but wondering if anyone here has tried one? They have great reviews on YouTube and Reddit but not sure if I would trust all of those.

Have a pal who's very happy with his Chinese build. Planning on going this route for n+1. More of the Chinese suppliers do customs handling than the UK! The very un-pc named chinertown forum is a good place to research options/ understand which open moulds are which models. I've no issue with the frames, I'm yet to make up my mind on wheels and handlebars - just in my head, unlikely to be a sudden failure in a frame that will end up with me face planted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I have their Lun wheelset. Zero complaints.

A clubmate has their higher spec wheelset and their gravel frame... again, zero complaints that I know of.

I now have the gravel frameset on the way to me via a slow boat from China for the lowly price of 739 euros. Hoping to receive it by Christmas. Will update over time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

AFAIK Winspace is about the best of the Chinese direct-to-consumer brands, and head and shoulders above something like Velobuild. No personal experience, but I did think for a while about getting a frameset from China.

This arrived today, just over four weeks to the day after ordering. It came by DPD, no sign of any customs charges for now (I live in NL and chose the free postage option).

Took a little bit of to and fro after the order as they didn't have the colour I ordered in stock (I wanted Emerald Green, settled for Carbon Black once they gave me another 10% off bringing the cost down to just over 680€ all in)

Waiting on a wheelset from Scribe and will probably build it up with SRAM Rival Etap AXS 1x if my limited mechanical skills, time and patience allow me.

I've done a few builds before but this will be my first time doing headset and bottom bracket on my own. First electronic and first SRAM build too but I'm hoping that makes it easier given the wireless shifting. I'd also like to fully integrate the brake hoses but not sure if I should follow head or heart on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Waiting for the components to arrive in the post over the next few days and then I'll put up a few build pics

Looking at building a full carbon CX/gravel bike from Seraph(TanTan).

frame/fork/seatpost/integrated bars and wheels.

Sensah 1x HRD gruppo

circa 1500 suro.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to keep mine under 2000 euro including everything (pedals, bottle cages, disc rotors etc). That is using a SRAM Rival eTAP wireless groupset and Scribe alloy wheelset

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭gn3dr

No all in planning stage as yet and could very well be shot down by financial controller😫

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I find bike buying a lot like ordering large goods in work. There are limits and rules but you are better off putting it through and then either explaining it at the audit at the end of year, or get caught at delivery. Either way, the purchase has a greater chance of actually being recieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Did I really just see a set of aero bars for €930 on the linked website ?! Must be going blind in auld age !

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭this.lad

Is that the wife or the actual financial controller in work?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭this.lad

Groupset arrived today (SRAM Rival AXS XPLR) so just waiting for the wheelset (which is taking a while to ship) and then the build can start. Here is the full cost breakdown for anyone who is interested:

• Frameset - 670 (this was a Black Friday discount with extra for not having the colour I originally ordered, there was also no customs charge)
    • Groupset - 800 (bought new on a second hand site - buying the components individually online would come to about 950)
    • Wheels (Scribe Gravel Wide++) - 280
    • Tires (Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M 700x50c) - 94
    • Rotors & 160mm rear adapter (SRAM Centerline) - 75
    • Bars & stem (Ritchey Comp Butano & Comp 4Axis) - 90
    • Bottom bracket - 30
    • Saddle (Selle Italia SLR Superflow) - 50

Total cost is coming in at 2089 which I am happy with. I could have saved money going with a mechanical GRX groupset but not really much savings to be had elsewhere

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Given they live in NL I'm going to say marktplaats

Yes I bought from a second hand site. If you are buying new, best prices I found were Bike Components (for the full groupset) or if you are buying individual parts, a combination of Mantel, Bike Discount or Bike 24

To follow up.

chose path of least resistance,

A good mate selling a Lexon GFX gravel frame built with SRAM rival 1x 11 speed mechanical,- plenty good for me!

lovely light(for a gravel bike) and stiff/responsive machine.

plan to get a few upgrades to complete the picture.

just waiting on,

tyres from Bikeinn

Gravel wheels from Elite

and bobs your uncle.

looking forward to finish the bog trials as bike is and have upgrades for Connacht gravel series and maybe even Fermanagh this year.

adios!

Enjoy. I missed my window of opportunity to get mine built up over the Christmas holidays (waiting for parts) so I'm ashamed to say that it is sitting in three boxes in my garage

Here we go. Finally got a weekend day with no wife or baby. I will see how far I can get today and then drop it into my mechanic later this week if not finished (I don't think I will cut the fork myself in any case)

Progress has been slow and I've been getting blocked with various things that mean this doesn't even look like a bike yet:

• Impossible to get the brake hose through the front fork without a magnet so I have ordered an internal routing tool (think this would have been the case even if I was not routing internally. Somehow managed to get the rear one through without any tools (although this was coming out of the head tube so much easier)
    • Bolts for the rear brake caliper were not long enough though - I've gone for the next size up which seemed to be the largest one available (37mm) and hopefully they will do the job
    • Didn't realise that a SRAM BSA bottom bracket doesn't use the same tool as a Shimano one so that is another thing that is waiting to be done
    • Also ordered a hacksaw with carbon blade and saw guide for the fork - so going to try and get it on the road entirely by myself
    • Finally got a SRAM bleed kit

Package on the way from Germany (still think I will need another olive for one of the brake hoses which Bike Discount didn't have in stock) so hopefully it will be up and running by next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Good luck with build. I hope to follow in your footsteps with a gravel build.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

I have done 1,000 or so KM. on my Winspace T1550 + 40MM Lun Hyper wheels and I’m blown away with how quick and smooth the bike is. Built up by Expert Cycles who said no issues with the build etc.

• Advertisement

Just about ready to go (bar tape, bleed brakes, fine tune shifting, torque everything up correctly and small things like bottle cages and Garmin mounts are all I have left).

Build went much slower than anticipated - I started when the wife and kid were away and planned on getting everything done in a day or two then dropping it over to the LBS for a quick once over. But quickly realised I was missing bits and tools (correct BB wrench, internal cable routing tool) so couldn't make much progress.

Full internal cable routing was a lot of hassle and I'm still not sure if it will work / if it is worth it. Somehow overlapped the brake hoses and managed to puncture one taking the stem off so had to reorder. This all made the build much slower as you can't really progress anything without having your internal routing sorted. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for us amateur home build mechanics.

Tried to keep this to a budget but if I had been charging labour, I could have bought a Pinarello new for the same price I'd say. Great learning experience though, first time doing absolutely everything myself (BB, headset, cutting the steerer).

Away next weekend so maiden voyage will have to wait

Advertisement