Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Survivor Series War Games 2023 *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

R-truth being back is a huge return.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sorry Randy orton being back is who I loved to see back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

if I wasn’t lazy, I’d do that meme of the guy with the domino’s, starting with Jack Perry wanting to do a spot with glass, leading to this tweet…

What a wild timeline. It’s a very, very different shock and awe compared to when Punk made his AEW debut. That morning, I watched with some tears in my eyes, so amazingly happy to see the wrestler I was such a huge fan of return to the world of pro wrestling. This time, it’s a shock that….he’s back in WWE. The company he spent a decade saying nearly killed him. The company that dropped the firing papers into his mailbox on his wedding day. All this after he was sacked with cause, for good reason.

It’s an amazingly fascinating moment for WWE. It continues the massively hot period they’re going into by creating a massive amount of attention.

But they’re going to have to have him on a TIGHT leash cause the last thing they need is for him to tank the good vibes WWE are going through, like he did AEWs (who still have his shadow hanging over them). Personality wise, I feel he’s the type of guy who just will inevitably explode again. But I also can’t see him threatening to attack Hunter the same way he did Tony Khan. Plus there’s the worry about how long till he gets hurt again, though the WWE style will likely protect him massively.

Fascinating to see.

Womens war games match was way better than the men’s imo. But that RkO to JD was insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I doubt if he is being paid huge money, Punk needs WWE more than they need him.

He just cannot be trusted. The AEW run proves that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Poor old Ryback hanging up the wrestling boots today🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Tbh I'd say he'll have a Lesnar type deal and just show up for big events. I doubt he's going to go back to a full time schedule at all.

There's so much money to be made from this though that it was fairly inevitable. The Rollins feud, when it happens is going to be absolute gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,059 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Seth vs. Punk at WM now

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TonySniff

I love people who say "WHY WOULD PUNK GO BACK?! Bret went back. His brother died in their ring for **** sake. Punk getting fired on his wedding day is nothing compared. Punk is ace, and I'm excited to see what Pepsi Phil cooks up, and if the marks cry about it, cry into a can of Pepsi.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,294 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That face first bump from the top of the cage from Devlin into the RKO is going to hurt for a long time.

There is a reason wrestlers flat back on fall not chest fall.

Poor enough show overall with some fun spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Women's war games was fairly terrible outside the big spots, so many frozen moments.

Miz/Gunther was really solid up until the closing stretch. Chicago going wild for Miz was unique.

Lee/Santos was right up my alley, give them a falls count anywhere rematch and it's the new Rey/psychosis.

Took a power nap during Rhea/Zoe.

Men's wargames are fairly by the numbers at this stage, no better or worse than any before it, although I let out a chuckle at JDs faceplate, looked sore.

Punk is the last great pro wrestler not named Jarrett. Walked into AEW, popped ratings, sold tickets, then burned the place to the ground, came back, got his own show, decided he didn't want to be there, so he burned it down again and slapped a few nerds on the way out. Now he's probably on Lesnar money and he's getting that mania main event...... Worker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Officer999

I’m gobsmacked he’s back.

I can’t think of a moment that’s stunned me as much in wrestling for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Punk to win the rumble and take on Seth Rollins at mania, must be a cert. Will do big money you'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No huge surprise. I suppose it was always gonna be a big thing any time they were in Chicago while he was unsigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I can't see him lasting, physically or behaviourally, but they might get to Mania and get a big rivalry out of him.

He'll finally get his Mania main event, even if it is a "buy one, get one free extravaganza." I doubt he'd admit it but that's the only thing that matters to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The last 2 years has probably helped Punk gain some big time perspective about what he wants out of wrestling, so I don't see the problem. Wrestling fans really are baffling in how they can't just go with the moment and let themselves be entertained.

He looked liked a man last night who knows now what he wants, and as Cody mentioned a man who looks hungry again.

It really was surreal to watch, one thing I noticed in particular was his look, it was very reminiscent of how he looked in 2011, someone unrecognisable to who was in AEW. It should he fascinating to watch unfold.

Noticed that, ref went and checked on him straightaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ThePott

I'm surprised people didn't like the show as a whole. I thought it was class, crowd really helped it along.

Women's Wargames was better, incredibly well put together and some inventive stuff. Kairi seemed a little lost dare I say. Bayley losing the match but saving Kairi is a great shout too, be interesting to see how that plays out.

Gunther/Miz was excellent. Some really good storytelling in the match that was fairly understated. Miz getting face chants was nice to see and think it was just a strong match where both looked great out of it.

Dragon Lee/Santos was solid, had it's moments but felt like it was getting going and then had a quick finish. Rhea/Stark, not bad, lasted longer than expected. Rhea is desperately in need of meaningful opponents, they clearly want Becky and her at Mania but are stalling.

Men's Wargames was pretty great, definitely less spot filled. The fake cash in was nice and Randy looked unreal and massive. JD definitely got his flowers for taking that bump. Priest taking the pin could be an interesting way of tension between him and the Judgement Day if they decide to do it.

Couldn't forget about Pepsi Phil. Think the crowd was really cool about shuting the chants down during the show and it genuinely seemed unlikely to happen surprisingly.

I love CM Punk, always have. As a wrestler, his exit and the drama surrounding it got me into that side of wrestling more than I ever had been. I was giddy when he showed up in AEW, gutted when it went the way it did. Quite honestly I've also often been one of the few on here saying that there was blame to go around and not solely on him when it came to Brawl Out and Brawl In. So maybe I'm biased.

I'm delighted he's back in WWE. I think they are more structured than AEW and maybe that will help things. They might be better off giving him a reduced schedule but he absolutely still has a lot to offer. Even though his AEW run was a mess behind the scenes, the matches and feuds he had were outstanding. He seemed to give the impression that people didn't want his advice in AEW (others have said this too) and I think WWE might be more open to that, maybe I'm wrong. Outside of that there are a lot of feuds that could be amazing, it's a different place from a decade ago.

Could it all be a ticking timebomb (pipebomb pun was too obvious), maybe. Hopefully not. As a person, the guy clearly has issues and hasn't really proven he can overcome them but fingers crossed. Did burst out laughing when Triple H said on the presser that people change over ten years and I was thinking, do people change in 3 months though?

Also the Rollins stuff is such a work but love the way they're playing it.

I've said from the beginning that there are factors we're not all aware of in AEW. HHH doesn't seem like the soft type and I'd absolutely believe he made an informed decision.

I mean given Regal is his right hand man and he was in AEW when Punk was there, I'm sure his opinion was a major factor in HHH deciding to sign him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I'd well believe the Bucks and Hangman etc are eminently punchable and annoying so I'd put blame on them too but he crossed the line when lunging at Tony Khan. Tony Khan was his boss and he isn't a wrestler. He won't be the biggest name in WWE so he'll have to tone things down a bit. Still, I'm more likely to watch WWE with him in it. He is entertaining.

• Advertisement

I think it comes down to a few things and obviously we're all outside observers.

Punk was the biggest name and get for AEW. Maybe he expected the company to be built around him or people to bow down at his feet. AEW needed Punk more than he needed them though.

WWE don't need him. He's an added bonus and will no doubt be a boost in the short term, maybe long-term depending how this all pans out.

One of the things that makes AEW great is also one of it's downsides. They have more creative freedom than they do in WWE, that's execellent when everyone is on the same page but naturally people who don't prosper in that environment will falter. People who do can succeed but they also will have to sacrifice their egos at times more so that when they are being told by a team of writers or a whole creative team. It can lead to a contentious environment.

One of the reasons I was sympathetic to Punk was that whatever way he acted, the company, AEW handled it terribly. There was warning signs that this could happen for a long time and (seemingly) nobody did anything about. People on the inside ran to the dirtsheets, people took jabs on social media and on live tv and instead of being grown-ups and resolving the conflict it boiled over until they HAD to take action.

AEW are a young company still and Tony Khan seems like a nice guy generally but I don't really get the sense that his roster respects him all that much. They like him sure but I think he's afraid to make tough calls cause it might influence his relationship with the wrestlers. There were people on here bending over backwards to defend him for not speaking up at the Brawl Out conference but there was never any repurcussions until he had to suspend people. Only for the same thing to happen again, he split the roster rather than trying to heal things over. Maybe he was blinded by how big of a fan he was but that's exactly the problem.

I doubt Punk likes Triple H or WWE but I also think he realises they would have less of an issue firing him if he caused problems. They're on a hot streak without him. It's horribly ironic cause AEW seems like the place Punk would have wanted but maybe these days he's suited more to WWE.

Again this is half speculation and only my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Officer999

Would be incredible to see MJF and Punk continue their feud in WWE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What return/debut will out do Punk ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Well if it wasn't for aew they wouldn't have signed her.

Don't think there is any left.

If any of the Elite jumped ship, they're not well known enough to get that kind of reaction.

Moxley/Ambrose coming back would be a big pop.

Miro/Black/Andrade and the rest of the midcarders wouldn't cause a stir.

Rollins going the other way to AEW would be big but not as big as Punk's return/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Honestly a Stone Cold glass shatter wouldn’t get that reaction even. It was incredible.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Yeah, this feels like the last “never gonna happen” moment left in pro wrestling.

As far as the Jade stuff, he’s not wrong but that’s the nature of WWE havin the established development facilities whereas AEW, being far, far younger, not. AEW relies heavily on the Indy scene to train new generations for them, and invest in indies (not with money, per se, but with the ability to let their guys work Indy shows, and forge relationships). But when they catch someone like a Jade, who bypasses the Indies, that rawness probably benefits from a proper developmental system more.

ideally, you’d have let Jade train on the Indy scene, or in lower profile matches, but her charisma just meant she was above that level quickly. Long term, AEW probably would benefit massively from establishing a developmental base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 storydove

I thought the whole ppv was great. That spot by JD was insane, I know he was wrestling with a bunch of living legends, so I could understand the need to impress them. The ppv are the only wwe shows I get to watch live, the reset of their programs I catch delayed on the wwe network.

Advertisement