Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bienvenido to the New Presidente of Argentina- Javier Milei

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,689 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Its democracy if the Left win, a tragedy if the Right win

It's sad.

Bottom line he won, people want what he is selling, and that's indeed democracy at work.

It's the same reason Trump is way ahead in the polls for 2024, they want what Trump is selling

Who said Milei getting elected wasn't democracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Democratically elected leaders can legitimately be attacked on their politics still. And the reality a lot of people are seeing, is that such leaders haven't actually tended to be great leaders. We've seen it with Trump, we've seen it with Boris. On a good day, they've just embarrassed themselves and on bad days, they cost countless lives through poor decision making or by making stupid statements. In Trump's case, he even attempted to undermine a democratic election.

So a guy who makes political decisions based on his dogs, pushes conspiracy theories and all the usual shite. He'll most likely turn out to be as useless as those who have come before. The positive aspect is that Argentina are pretty insignificant in global politics so he's not exactly gonna matter on a global scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,608 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Half who voted for him will quickly have buyers remorse and the other half will double down on their batshít.

We have seen this movie.

It's boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

democracy isnt a commodity!

...and what he sold is just a pack of lies, just like all the other lads of his ilk!

...lets take a look at one of his bullsh1t policies, dollarisation! take a good look at whats currently happening with many other poorer nations with such a policy!

• Advertisement

We've seen the original cartoon, the sequel, the prequel and the live-action remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Think this is the spin off show. Wonder how many seasons we'll get.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

It'll follow the same predictably script. He'll look to slash public sector spending, privatise services to corporations, cut taxes and get into public fights with anyone who speaks out against him.

Feel badly for Argentinians, they're pretty similar to Zimbabwe, in that by rights they should be a wealthy nation but instead they're beset with corrupt and incompetent governance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Both sides again...

I don't see this coming to much. The whole libertarian thing is just the rightist answer to Communism. It's like the underpants gnomes from South Park. First, you strip the state and sell it off to oligarchs, then something and then profits are made by said oligarchs. If the United States, the richest and most diverse country in history with an almost unparalleled inheritance of natural wealth and resources couldn't make this nonsense work I don't see how Argentina can.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Decisions decisions...

Picking the correct chainsaw for the inauguration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭standardg60

He's promised to close the Depts. of health and education.

Can we borrow him? Both function at the behest of the unions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Economics101

Argentina has been a basket case for decades. It was once very prosperous and the betting was on it being another Canada. A lot of the blame goes to Peron and Peronism, whihc is a sort of MAGA cult. Argentiens are now so desperate with the Peronist type of populism that they have gone for another crazy progremme.

They have been here before. Under Carlos Menem, the peso was equal to 1 US$ and you would see Dollar and Pseo notes bsing used routinely in retail transactions. Trouble was Menem did not impose fiscal prudence, to the whole thing eventually exploded.

Why to Argentines alwas fail to learn from their own history?

Surely he has to dual wield for the inauguration...

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

I hear he's a bad guy so he must be a bad guy.

We can watch the show together, brother.

Is L.Ball Lavar, Lonzo, the middle brother or LaMelo?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

A lot of sour grapes on here. And all because he'll give the working class what they've been yearning for for so long (checks notes)... legalised human organ sales

Post edited by The Phantom Jipper on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

He wants the Falklands back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

They were British before Argentina was a country.

The tide is turning…

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

As I pointed out before, they've always been British. There's no Argentine identity there whatsoever. Argentina have nothing and attacking a NATO member would be an extraordinarily stupid thing to do, even for a libertarian.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Trump was a great President, statistically speaking. American was flying high under Trump, the US was no longer the worlds bitch under Trump. There was no wars, he defeated ISIS without one casualty

Yea he's a tool, who suggested injecting bleach into covid patients lungs, but these things are better than what we have now.

• Advertisement

H. H. Asquith

Nope.

He also warned Germany not to get into bed with Russia, and they laughed, who's laughing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Was that because there wasn’t much room left with him in there already?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

What they had wasn't working and is the reason people voted for change. But instead of criticising the failures that created the problem let's focus our anger on the new guy on Day 1.

What a world

• Registered Users Posts: 39,608 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I don't see any anger. Apart from football, Argentina globally are irrelevant.

There is sympathy for Argentinian people, that though as well is not anger.

Anyway, I wish him well, how many loafs of bread does a kidney get you?

Yes.

I have to say that I found the proven Nazi rapist's legal troubles more than a bit cathartic so... me?

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

He seems to be a mix 'n' match libertarian. Legalisation of drugs and prostitution is ok but he opposes abortion and euthanasia and is dismissive of "inclusive language" (gender pronouns) so he's not truly a do-as-you-feel type.

Meanwhile, he'd be open to the idea of legalising organs-for-sale. While, in principle, if people want to do that, that's their business; in practice, it'll be desperate people who have to resort to such measures (if he can afford $50,000 to clone his dog, I don't think he'll be needing to sell any organs). It can also easily be abused, especially if state supports are reduced or eliminated, as he seems to want to do. "Can't pay your bills? Sell a kidney; you only need one!"

He's more of an economic libertarian as opposed to a social one (the social aspect of libertarianism being what interests me) while not truly being a free-market type as he wants to restrict immigration. Aren't libertarians always on about trusting the market? Surely immigration is irrelevant in such a situation; it would be controlled naturally by limited or no government support for immigrants and work would be available if the market requires it.

I reckon deep down he's some kind of neo-con/neo-lib hybrid with a sprinkling of libertarian ideas to grab the headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think it's a good opportunity to have the economic libertarian ideas tested, in a country that's already in a bad shape. If it works, maybe we should look more closely, if it doesn't at least we can put it together with the other economic system that doesn't work.

Advertisement