Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheds, Mens’, Women’s

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

There used be a group years ago called the FCA where you could shoot things , learn to drive trucks , dress up in camouflage and do loads of other man things.

Then they let women join that too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yeah, the free clothes association.

Or 'the sandbags' as the army knew them AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,879 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

How do you know there is not much demand ? :)

if there is a demand for a men’s shed, just men, let them at it. They don’t deserve any criticism or chastising…

sexes chose all the time to do things segregated together…

A stag weekend generally doesn’t include women.

A hens weekend generally doesn’t include men.

girls spa weekend ? Lads football trip ? I could go on….

I don’t think Garda vetting is a thing for men’s/women’s sheds, only for people working with children/vulnerable adults, so does not generally come into sheds, I should have thought.

The ICA is a kind of longstanding country women’s sheds, the first time I think I heard of men’s sheds was on Nationwide and thought it a very good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

Men’s shed’s need to come back to the begging bowl. They won’t hence their demise

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Well I could simply have said earlier that nobody gives a damn about feminism or what feminists have to say about anything, let alone the idea that in the male dominated fitness industry, feminists themselves would give a damn about men-only gyms.

Instead of getting into the gender wars crap, I only have to run the numbers, and according to at least one survey, 70% of gym owners are men, 30% are women -

https://www.sportalliance.com/en/press/the-fitness-industry-remains-male-dominated/

As business owners they’re more interested in increasing revenue, business sustainability and profitability, as opposed to any nonsense about the idea of having men-only anything when there isn’t the demand among men for men-only gyms. Men-only gyms don’t attract more men who wouldn’t ordinarily go to the gym, women-only gyms DO attract more women who wouldn’t ordinarily go to the gym. It’s purely a business decision, nothing to do with gender politics.

The thing is, I don’t see how anything anyone posted in this thread could be construed as a criticism of men’s sheds, it’s precisely because people aren’t interested in them that men’s sheds are in decline, and need to diversify in order to sustain themselves, rather than simply hoping that with enough public funding they might become viable -

https://www.rte.ie/news/2023/1120/1417471-irish-mens-sheds/

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/26b4c-minister-humphreys-announces-new-1-million-fund-to-support-mens-sheds/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The sheds are a great idea but I, personally, don’t see them lasting. They are for men who’s life were work and now that work has finished they’re a bit “lost”. They have to get out of the house because they’re annoying the wife to the point of divorce.

They won’t be gone for awhile yet but the “modern man”, with very little going on in his life, is living online and will continue to do so in retirement, angrily moaning, and complaining, about how the world has changed and why they don’t like it.

The more well adjusted of us, with good social networks, and family lives, won’t need the sanctuary of the ‘Men’s Shed’ to keep us entertained, or distracted.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 19,130 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

As a member of the "well adjusted" coterie Ive never been to a mens shed.

Would imagine a group of 'barrack room lawyers' holding court with a whiff of stale stout and sour farts as the 'bull goose' goes on about

the war in Gaza,how great Liverpewall are, why the Govt are shïte,his last trip to Spayan and various ailments he has endured.

Don't know if I am right or wrong but from a look at some of the clients using the nearby shed, don't think I'm too far off the mark.

But.....whatever floats yer boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,916 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

been a shedder myself, i just love the idea, the sense of community and shear looking out for each other was great, lads really can look after each other under such circumstances....

in regards mixing sexes, shur, if its agreed, but i also realise, lads do really like each others company, without females, men can relax in a different way, it helps with male to male communications, having females in the environment can change the dynamics, so much so, some could be discouraged from being in the environment, causing isolation...

....possible solution, encouraging women only sheds, and mixed sheds....

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

1. Identify as a man

2. Join local men's shed

3. ???

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 28,916 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...tried that, was found out fairly quickly with the stumble on my face, shur what can yea do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I question how "well adjusted" you are if you can jump to such a conclusion about of a group of men you've never met who congregate in a place you've never been to.

I have met them in other situations and other venues Padre,and I can say with a degree of certainty that my judgement would be accurate.

In fact I was talking to one guy who went to the shed and left .He said "Its like the front bar down the local, tossers roaring and shouting trying to start a sing-song"

His words not mine and I had to agree with him, knowing some of the clients involved.

Not all "sheds"are the same of course, I would agree with that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm involved in a woodturning chapter which would be a somewhat different profile of members - different reasons for joining etc. - but our meetings are *nothing* like that.

You got lucky, well done….well done….brilliant.

to be fair lad are you not the same fella who posts regularly in the etiquette thread, to those who don’t know, is nothing but a collection of dramatic stories about one’s bowel movements.

I don’t think you have any place to be questioning how well adjusted someone may or may not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

But that’s exactly what I am just a few years too young.. well I hope I’m not middle age yet anyway 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Are you wearing bootcut jeans and a checked shirt?

If yes, the pitchforks will be out for you.

• Advertisement

goodness no.

Black pants & whites 😂 I’d risk a streaking charge before I wore that.

Well done….well done.. you are the first person ever to criticise folk who post in the etiquette thread on another thread.

Its just a bit of fun ,dude.

It was a cheap shot my friend, first and only time I have experienced that behaviour from a poster, or saw anyone else targeted like that.

Not a nice thing to do.

I never thought she’d could be so controversial, but anything can be among strangers on social meeja 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Ah it is probably not all that controversial really. Rather than perhaps another incident of how some people can not simply not like something - or think that that something is not for them. Instead they have to justify that to themselves by seeking (usually by inventing) some reason to actively hate or hold disdain for it. So many people dislike something first - then retrospectively construct narratives to fit that dislike later.

Of course we do not know the character and history of any user on an anonymous message board. But it would not be wild to surmise we just witnessed another expression of the old quote: Criticism is often the tragic expression of an unmet need. :)

Advertisement