Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheds, Mens’, Women’s

Options
  • 20-11-2023 10:32pm

I’m all on for the Sheds, and I’m shre men and women enjoy their own company, but I, as a woman, thoroughly love men’s company, and occupations more typically enjoyed by men. I’m quite sure it halkebdcthe other way around and is more widespread than I know.,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The idea behind the sheds stems from a need for men to be able to talk to other men about men's issues. The last thing the concept needs is women in the mix.

There are already women’s’ sheds I believe, have seen on Nationwide. Yes, indeed I have done a few contributions to local men’s sheds as I appreciate the good they can do, and I really approve of those bonding and interactive opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

The Men's Shed provides a safe environment which helps break social isolation, a place to go learn new skills, work on community projects, to meet others for a social chat over a welcoming cuppa, even group visits to meet other sheds, promotes positive mental health - excellent concept

Nothing wrong with Women's or Sister's Sheds, just basically different interests

• Registered Users Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I don't think they were set up for hookups around the back, they're men only for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If there was a mixed shed I'd join. So hard to meet women who are into that sort of stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Fairly sure men's sheds are geared towards retirees.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

They are cliquey, I see they are looking for members now though. They are reaping what they have sown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I know a place where they were trying to set one up and they wanted someone to donate land for the shed to be built on

Then they wanted a grant for some contractors to come in and build the shed, with proper toilets, insurance and other facilities.

None of the lads involved had any ideas for projects once the shed was finished

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Sure that's fine. the purpose is a meetup place to combat loneliness and isolation.

The projects will come in time, and no harm of it's slow to take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,102 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I don't see anything wrong with them being advertised as men only.

There are ICA groups for women only and active retirement groups that mixes both genders.

I get what you're saying about some women who would like the projects undertaken at the sheds.

Perhaps then suggest if the Men's Shed would like to give a worksop at a group you are a member of?

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Lots of fitness places have female only classes. I don’t ever think I’ve seen a men only fitness class. I’d say any gym owner would be putting that sign up for ‘men only’… with hands trembling… strong criticism at best, sued at worst…

in fact searching now there are actually entire female only gyms now…

so why not a male only shed / other fellas social or creative or activity based thing ?

you can’t be selective for the females and say to the fellas.. “ nope , sorry everyone has to be admitted here, but the girls are ok, they can have their own space/time/thing and you won’t be admitted, but your gig has to be open to anybody ! “…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

There was a representative from Mens Sheds on the radio a few days ago, and he said the most important thing in any shed is the kettle, first and foremost it's a social meeting place.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Can’t for the life of me make out this word in the opening post, I’m pretty sure it’s important- ‘halkebdcthe’…

Aaanyway, what do you call a men’s shed with women in it? A community group! That’s really the essential difference between them OP. I went to a few when the idea was trending about 20 years ago and they were a thing post-recession with a lot of men retired and unemployed - I just found the atmosphere a bit over-contrived tbh. They’re really not a sustainable idea in modern society.

There must be plenty of community groups you could get involved with where you could make good use of your skills (I know you’re into software and web development, must be a Coderdojo nearby?), but there’s probably a few creator workshops around you too which like men’s sheds are funded by Government and local authority grants - they offer all sorts of facilities and services where you can do things like CNC lathe work, wood turning, fabrication, etc, whatever floats your boat!

I’d say any gym owner would be putting that sign up for ‘men only’… with hands trembling… strong criticism at best, sued at worst…

Not at all, there’s just not much of a demand for men only gyms is all. The end of the day they’re a business, not a community group. My brother owned and operated his own men-only gym for years, but he had the regulars from being involved in bodybuilding. Covid hit and he’d to close up shop as the business just couldn’t sustain itself. The difference with community groups is that they’ll often have to pay little or no overheads like rental space, insurance, etc. There’s just a greater demand for women-only gyms and fitness clubs and classes is all.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Id love to go to a mens shed. I love the idea of a bit of craic but building and making things while you are there.

There should be more of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,216 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Can’t for the life of me make out this word in the opening post, I’m pretty sure it’s important- ‘halkebdcthe’…

Sure, lookit, we all have our halkebdcthe days. My guess is that it was supposed to be something like "I'm quite sure it happens the other way around".

As a woman I happen to have male type interests, certainly the last things I’m interested in are knitting and baking etc. 😁 I’d be better suited to a men’s shed but I’ll desist!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭blackbox

There is a group called DublinMaker.ie that is definitely not confined to any gender and may suit the OP. Not sure if there is a nationwide connection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they're called 'men's sheds', but do they have a men-only rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lucalux

i'd love to be able to join a men's shed that does woodworking, traditional skills and building projects, but i wouldn't like to impose at all

there are no women's sheds or community groups around me that do any of those things unfortunately

it's great to see them being popular, but the politics of them sounds like any group of people, a bit unbearable from anecdotes i've heard!

Infighting, breakaway groups etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the famous brendan behan quote springs to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Ah tell us more - spill the beans there lucalux don’t be shy 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I try not to consider interests with gender. While some things might be "typical" - in myself and those around me I see a mix.

I love cooking. Baking and dips are my favorites. I love DIY And Martial Arts. My children have a healthy mix of gender typical crossover interests. My son (9) baking and dance. My daughter (13) farming and firing and caring for pistols, rifles, guns in general.

They both like animals and combat sport. Neither likes horse riding much. I really do.

Despite the name many sheds are not confined to women. Simply ask. You might find yourself welcomed.

Or simply start your own if you know people with a mix of skills that would produce a good club doing good and stimulating things. The hardest part is not forming the group but keeping up the imagination required to set goals and find meaning in it. A lot of the sheds fail because they get all the setup done and then have no idea what to actually do.

Because of some local teens in my area who were getting loud and violent and disruptive I started a "Jedi Acadamy" locally. Essentially it was just a mens shed for boys - with the concept that inside it we would teach the boys everything we could that a Jedi would learn. And where we could not teach them the literal Jedi skill like levitation and mind control and other aspects of "the Force" we found the closest real world equivalents through close up magic, mentalism and NLP type trickery.

In the end it was just a Mens Shed with a fun concept / theme behind it. Martial arts, sword play, fitness, magic and illusion, some language politics and history, meditation and so on. Basically it is a full Jedi Training school. It brought life changing experiences to the kids who are no longer being anti social miscreants on the path to prison. But also the men who help me by bringing their skills to teach and use.

The other thing myself and my mates do which is just a kind of mens shed really is weaponized go kart racing. Once a year we have a big go kart race. But there is inter vehicle violence involved. Tools and equipment installed in the gokart designed to mess up the other drives or their karts. Like a Tazer array. We get a great laugh out of that one and a year of planning and working on it. The race itself is one thing but really is the smallest point of the whole thing.

Another thing I have been doing recently which I have not got off the ground yet but will soon - is "Men doing bloody hard things". Basically we are gonna find some really hard challenges each day/week/month/season of the group and get after it. The harder the better. The more varied the challenges the better. But ultimately they should just be really bloody hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

Could you not find a few women with similar interests to yourself and set up your own shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Are you Garda vetted to work with, train and influence what sounds like potentially damaged and vulnerable children?

As at least one other user has already pointed out on the thread: One thing with community projects like men's sheds is you do not have to go the official route with many things like insurance and so forth. I have no more requirement to be Garda vetted for anything I do than you would if your neighbor asked you to take his son out on a boat and teach him fishing.

That does not mean of course that if I came to be concerned for the mental well being or damage or trauma or other emotional well being of an individual - that I would not act properly and accordingly. Involving any authority I deemed responsible in each context. Again just as you perhaps would if you were out teaching your neighbors son fishing in a boat and something troubling came to light.

That said though - interestingly enough two of my mates who help me with all the various projects I enjoy - are themselves police. Whom I met and made friends with due to a seriously insane neighbor who for a long period called the Police on us for the most inane and crazy reasons. And in the end I got quite friendly and close with two guys who kept getting sent out to our place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Garda vetting is more about protecting you than the children. I’m not sure how getting it works if this ‘Jedi Club’ isn’t an official organisation but it might still be worth looking into.

You should also looking into some child safety training courses for both you and the other guys you have on your team.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

"Damaged and vulnerable children"

FFS.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Oh we have some useful courses and stuff behind some of us - especially the two guys I mentioned who are themselves police. However entirely off topic for the subject of this thread so I would not go too deeply into that rabbit hole here save to merely put your concerns at rest if I have raised any in you.

"Sheds" whether themed or not like our one can be quite transformative though. To think some of the lads around my area were accosting little old women and intimidating them and knocking shopping out of their hands - and became lads who during covid had a route each where they were delivering shopping to little old ladies who were unable to get their own either due to age or fear of covid - doing their gardening - and later on sitting with them listening to stories of the good old days and eating cookies. It makes me proud. Mostly of them. But I reserve some pride for myself and those that helped me form the Academy.

As others have said on the thread a lot of these Sheds can stagnate or fall apart. Often the just need a goal, or a source of meaning, or a raison d'etre to drive them forward. While some might sustain themselves on "There is tools in the corner but let us just have a tea and a chat" - I reckon most don't. Not much different to the local pub then.

• wtf?? What gave the impression the kids are “damaged” or “vulnerable”? Just sounds like an informal youth club type thing the likes of FDYS usually run

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'm sure you are not the first or only woman with those interests, might be worth suggesting it to a local group? There is a local-to-me new women's shed starting and for the first few weeks the idea is to get people chatting about what they want to do in it, what they would like to get out of the group. I'm assuming most other groups are open to suggestions too?

Advertisement