Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan Tubridy joins The Wireless Group - Thread bans in opening post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

Well it's a very crowded market in the UK , lots of quality journalists, I bet Tubridy won't see Easter ! And while I don't know much about Virgin radio , but I reckon the bunch of no namers they've got on their books bar Evans have nothing to worry about !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I know ButtersSuki. We've had many long discussions. The topic of Tubridy has come up a total of... hmm, 3 plus that and then carry the 1...

Never.

So I don't think I'd call him obsessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I genuinely wish him well over there. It's a very tough market and he won't be protected from on high like he was here.

He'll see Easter alright, they won't get rid of anyone that quickly unless he says "F*ck the King" or something stupid - which being a Royalist he won't. I personally don't think he'll last more than a year, but I'd be quite happy if he stays there forever more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Expunge

Virgin seems to be the 17th most popular of the 20 or so national radio brands in the UK. It has a WEEKLY (not daily) audience of about 1.5 million.

Chris Evans accounts for most of that.

I think yer man on Today FM, Ray Foley did some gigs there before.

It's no giant of a network like Radio 2 or Heart. Tubridy's hardly on big money there, without proving himself first.

Enda Brady was suggesting on the News at One that it was Evans who made it happen.

Probably a personal favour to Noel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

He’s literally posted about him tens of thousands of times on this site.

• Advertisement

Did you just assume my gender?

Considering how you would and have reacted to that previously, I'd expect you'd extend that courtesy to others. Don't assume please - and be kind.

---------------------------------------

Warned for off-topic posting. Take your dispute elsewhere.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

It'll be a tough gig that's for sure. Just realised it's a digital radio station which makes it a harder nut to crack.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

The British are far more egalitarian than us here in the colonies and fall on their swords before it becomes an open f*@k show ! It's the brass neck coupled with the distain for the low man on the totem pole that's infuriating !

Nowhere near it on Tubridy. I only started posting on Tubs in the last year or two.

I have undoubtedly exceeded 10,000 on Joe Duffy but that's over 14+ years.

When you could see post count by thread I was the poster with the highest post count in basketball and one of the highest in film.

I'd likely have thousands more if I operated multiple accounts and frequently re-regged too and they were added together though like some posters..................but I don't do that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Joe Duffy? Yeah you're totally obsessed with him.

But Tubs? No.

• Advertisement

• Pity about ur, I loooove my Ryan, I have my fetishes and he’s one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Did something happen in the last year or two that made you turn on him?

You say you, sort of, know him and you’re on nodding terms when you pass by but did he turn down something of yours “professionally”? Like, did he cost you a big job or something?

If that was the case, it would explain a lot.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Hopefully Tubs is celebrating the news this evening with a few drinks with his friends. It’s been a rough few months for him, and he was a bit of a fall guy for RTE mismanagement. I know he doesn’t use social media (apart maybe from Instagram) so he was spared having to read the borderline psychotic abuse he received. Still, a surplus of resilience required.

• I have a Co-obsessed, sorry had to delete the NSFW ones here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭hawley

I hope that he gets heckled about the barter account money when he's turning on the lights in Clifden. He obviously feels that he's no longer welcome in Ireland. Am sure that he has taken a lot of abuse over the last few months. He betrayed people's trust

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,808 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

He’ll need that extra 150 grand living around London- not a cheap place to live

• Registered Users Posts: 7,378 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Ah they will surely give him a year at least unless he absolutely craters his slot. People said he wasn't asked back after he covered for Norton, but he was prohibited from doing that work by his RTE contract.

I imagine it's something like a one year contract with the option to extend.

Unlike UK TV, UK radio was never broadly readily available in Ireland so a lot of people who are known over there for only their radio work are relative unknowns here - so it's a bi unfair to call them no namers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,938 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I don't think it's unusual that RT has got himself a job in radio in London.

He is only 50 so a bit young to retire.

He should have a few good years left in him.

His skills such as they are relate to the radio/entertainment business.

Whatever else you may say about him he knows his way around a studio.

I wish him all the best and will tune in to hear how he gets on.

• I’m known to ring Liveline… now my new inspiration is to ring Ryan on a Trunk Cawl

And it’s obsessive. If you post about anyone tens of thousands, or thousands, or even hundreds of times it’s obsessive.

People can post about whatever they want but nobody’s gonna sit there and post abuse about Ryan Tubridy thousands of times and then turn around and legitimately say they’re not obsessed with him. It’s utterly pathetic behaviour, and completely devoid of credibility.

• Advertisement

I'm not a broadcaster. How would or could Tubridy ever cost me a job, never mind a big job? Is that big as in the big podcast? 🙄 Our paths cross but we have never competed for anything. Nothing happened between us on a personal level.

I know him since my teens. There's plenty who do. A lot of us have seen through him for a long time. There's lots I could say about him that's been hinted at and rumoured but I only ever comment on what he says or does publicly or on his shows. When a poster commented on rumours in the payments thread I asked them to refrain from commenting on those and discussing the issue at hand and not rumour or innuendo.

After his shambolic laying it on extra thick performance at the Oireachtas Committee Hearings I'm surprised you can't see beneath the mask at this stage. But you're entitled to believe what you like. And you can of course continue to defend a man you've never met like you do - it's completely your prerogative to do so.

And unlike some posters on here I won't call you a loner, creep, obsessed, mentally ill, deranged, a lying scumbag, a cancer, a doxxer etc. etc. for expressing your opinion even if I vehemently disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,476 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will he be bringing over any of his loyal team with him?

"if you post about anyone hundreds of time it's obsessive" - YOU have posted about Turbidy hundreds of times! Lol. But let me guess, it's not obsessive when you do it, but is when others do?

The irony!

So my behaviour is pathetic now? Better than being called a lying scumbag, a cancer and a doxxer I guess!

• He does know his way in the business, and tries with a little help from his friend. He does indeed.

Well with respect I think your own credibility was lost when you called me a lying scumbag, a cancer, and a doxxer....in the same post btw. And that's before we talk about all the other things you have said about me.

#bekind

I haven’t posted about Tubridy hundreds of times, you liar. Nor have I doxxed anyone like you, or called anyone a cancer.

Who knows , maybe he'll be a roaring success, another Terry Wogan ! I doubt it though , his breathtaking arrogance means he's learned nothing and probably now feels untouchable until that anvil eventually crashes down on him !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,120 ✭✭✭squonk

Wish him well and it’s terrible to be out of work so any work is better than none and UK be a good intern for him.

i want impressed by his abilities in RTE and listening to the piece with Chris Evan’s this morning it jumped out at me at the time that he was making himself out to have had a terrible time, especially that schtick about God In A Hoodie. It sounded terrible how he went on

You’re a relatively unknown quantity launching yourself in a new market. Why do you refer back to your past? Why do you come out with shîte like God in a Hoodie? He’s not the first radio man to get their marching orders. Move on man and start fresh. He sounded slightly deranged to me going on about his past. Worse though, it sounds like the same old Tubbs and that’s not good. I’ll give his shoe a chance but if ratings went up after he left here it’s not boding well

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement