Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Portal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It arrived just as I was leaving the house to collect the kids so only got to open it up now. First impressions are it's really nice. I mean really nice.

Build quality is great. But it just works. No messing with work around or apps etc. turn it on and connect. The screen is great. Very bright and crisp.

The controller parts are smaller than the actual PS5 controller so it feels a tiny bit different. It's not a huge difference but it's there.

Booted up WRC that's a game that needs to be near perfect at high speeds. I tried playing it with chiaki on steam deck last night and couldn't as the delay was too much. But on this the portal it was almost perfect. I actually got curious about the delay so I held up the portal to the TV screen as the race timer shows in the top right with fractions of seconds, and took a photo. I reckon there was about a 0.1 second delay.

So maybe for twitch shooters not the best but almost everything else it's perfectly good.

But very happy with it. The other remote options are notably worse experiences that do when you are in a jam. But this is a great experience.

A few bits are a little annoying.

1. If you turn off the PS5 instead of putting it into Rest mode you are goosed. You can't get it back on. Unlike the normal controller that can wake the console the PS button on this just turns on the portal.

I think that's a big miss. It's okay if you are at home but imagine you bring it travelling and shut the PS5 down instead of rest mode (which I do all the time) it's rendered useless.

2. None of the media streams. It is blocked rather than not working. I tried opening Disney and it opened for a split second then the screen is blocked. Same for Netflix, prime, Spotify. It's essentially a second monitor so this seems pointless.

3. No display colour settings. You can make it brighter but not change any colour settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

The wake feature has been an issue for me plenty of times when just playing remote on my phone, I always put the console in rest but probably 1 in 4 times I go to play next it says there was an issue and it does a little scan before recovering. Takes away from the convenience at home having to go to the console to get it back online, impossible when away.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I rarely use rest mode, unless I'm downloading something in the background and I know I'll play it later that day/night. If I leave it in rest mode other than that I always turn off TV and stuff at the socket before going to bed and then my PS5 will give out to me the next day as if I p*ssed on the hard drive.

If you press the PS button on a normal controller it wakes it from fully off. I would have thought at least that would work at home.

Played a few different games last night. From Astro boy to WRC to Titanfall 2.

All were a good experience. Not perfect but good. There is a tiny delay. So anything that is about perfect timing is prob not a good option. But the vast majority of games will be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I don't know if anyone else went through amazon Germany like me, initially I was told it would be delivered December 5th but I just got a dispatch email saying I should have it by Saturday.

Now to find a good case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Does anyone know where I can get a PlayStation portal?

I checked with folks in smyths and the guys have no idea when they will get it.

Ive been watching amazons / very / curry’s and no change in stock.

the ps5 stock checker on twitter doesn’t seem to be active anymore so not sure what else I can do?

any suggestions?

I heard a rumour of mid December for Smyths but take it with a pinch of salt. Keep an eye on amazon Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

FWIW, I went into Smyths last Thursday and the lad behind the counter said he's not anticipating them to be in this year.

On the lookout for one myself for Christmas. If anyone sees them available, a steer in the right direction would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mpeter92

How much did you pay on amazon Germany. Looks like scalpers selling for 300+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Said I'd throw my own personal experience with the device up here.

This thing is brilliant. So easy to setup. My Gameplay experience has been great, no noticeable lag even when playing games that require quick reflexes like driving games and fighters.

Brought it to work yesterday, a half an hour drive away. Worked like a dream. 2 people at work are planning to buy one after testing mine now.

This is a picture taken while playing WRC with the Portal held up against the TV. You can see a tiny delay. Literally a fraction of a second. But without the photo evidence I wouldn't notice it.

€235 delivered, my prime didn't work for free postage.

Spent a good 90 mins playing Alan Wake this morning and I'm loving this machine. It's just a lovely way to play. The screen is incredible. Great size and it handles blacks really well. But I think it is the comfort when playing. The deck can be a bit clunky. The switch controllers are too small but this doesn't feel like a compromise at all.

If they get the cloud up and running it's great value at €230.

Mine landed in Dublin this morning after sitting in France since Monday so i should have it tomorrow. I was worried it had gone missing because of how long it was stuck in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Any news of stock? Facebook pages or the like

I won't say much bar this, what an absolutely incredible piece of kit this thing is. Anyone on the fence, I suggest jumping on it whenever you see any in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I wasn't going to get one, but I may have a situation where one would be very handy so I may pull the trigger once they become available. Been a while since something expected to flop has been such a success!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

I got one too...really good bar this weird issues where the screen would freeze for a couple of seconds...had a look online and you have to have the tv left on to alleviate the issue and that sorted it. Hopefully a fix is on the way, really weird...the tv is a Sony Bravia and internet is 1gb fibre broadband so very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Haven't come across that issue once after many hours of use. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

What is the chance of picking one of these up before Xmas?

I've heard rumours of some landing mid December. But likely snapped up by scalpers if you are not fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭branners69

Where? Amazon, Currys and Smyths the main suppliers.

Smyths, but that was literally someone on here saying they heard smyths might have some in mid December. No insider info or anything.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Typical places to try, Harvey Norman, Currys, DID Electrical, Smyths, Amazon, very.ie

Available to preorder on Smyths for home delivery right now.

It's page is listed again since yesterday with expected dates when it's back in stock, but I don't see any pre-order options?

It was there for home delivery for about 2 hours, delivery between the 11th-15th

• Advertisement

Typical, i'm stalking the site 5 times a day and I still miss a window... Cheers for posting it though!

Advertisement