Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Rugby Pacific 2024

Options
  • 14-11-2023 1:38pm
    Subscribers Posts: 41,001 ✭✭✭✭

post RWC hangover kicking in all around the world.

this usually means an exodus of test players from the southern hemisphere to travel north for a few seasons of cha-ching big dolla pay days, so lots of change in SR squads, for you to peruse below:

Crusaders

Forwards:

Codie Taylor

Brodie McAlister

George Bell

Ioane Moananu

Joe Moody

Finlay Brewis

George Bower

Tamaiti Williams

Fletcher Newell

Scott Barrett (capt)

Quinten Strange

Tahlor Cahill

Zach Gallagher

Jamie Hannah

Ethan Blackadder

Cullen Grace

Tom Christie

Christian Lio-Willie

Corey Kellow

Dominic Gardiner

Backs:

Noah Hotham

Mitchell Drummond

Willi Heinz

Fergus Burke

Taha Kemara

Rivez Reihana

David Havili

Dallas McLeod

Levi Aumua

Ryan Crotty

Jone Rova

Will Jordan

Sevu Reece

Macca Springer

Manasa Mataele

Chay Fihaki

Leigh Halfpenny

Heremaia Murray

notable movements:

New head coach Rob Penny (the guy who 10 years ago wanted munster to play the way munster play now) takes over from Scott Robertson. Its practically impossible to improve on what Robertson has achieved, so is Penny on a hiding to nothing?

Ryan crotty returns from 4 years in japan as 35 year old utility back, where he will be joined by a certain Leigh halfpenny, a 34 year old utility back.

Richie Mo’unga, Sam Whitelock, Leicester Fainga’anuku, Jack Goodhue and Sione Havili all heading away, while yet another all black is absent in Braydon Ennor, who is out for the season with yet another long term injury, this time his ACL.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,001 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

2024 HIGHLANDERS SQUAD

Forwards: 

Jermaine Ainsley (Otago), Henry Bell (Otago), Nikora Broughton (Bay of Plenty), Daniel Lienert-Brown (Canterbury), Mitchell Dunshea (Canterbury), Ethan De Groot (Southland), Oliver Haig (Otago), Billy Harmon (Canterbury) Max Hicks (Tasman), Fabian Holland (Otago), Luca Inch (Tasman), Ricky Jackson (Otago), Ayden Johnstone (Waikato), Saula Ma’u (Otago), Hayden Michaels (Southland), Pari Pari Parkinson (Tasman), Hugh Renton (Tasman), Tom Sanders (Otago) , Jack Taylor (Southland), Will Tucker (Otago), Sean Withy (Otago)

Backs:  

James Arscott (Otago), Connor Garden-Bachop (Wellington), Martín Bogado (Argentina), Folau Fakatava (Hawkes Bay), Ajay Faleafaga (Otago), Sam Gilbert (Otago), Nathan Hastie (Otago), Jacob Ratumaituvuki-Kneepkens (Taranaki), Jonah Lowe (Hawkes Bay), Cameron Millar (Otago), Jona Nareki (Otago), Rhys Patchell (Wales), Jake Te Hiwi (Otago), Timoci Tavatavanawai (Tasman), Tanielu Tele’a (Auckland), Josh Timu (Otago), Matt Whaanga (Southland)

notable movements:

Shannon Frizzell heads to Japan but most importantly Aaron Smith heads to the rising sun land as well, after 185 highlanders caps, and 124 all black caps. he will be sorely missed.

thankfully 3 senior outhalves (who were never good enough) are gone in marty banks, Mitch Hunt and Freddie Burns. Coach Carmody has put his faith in youngsters this season, retaining cam millar, promoting Ajay Faleafaga and brining in Rhys Patchell as the senior educator.

out wide the signings of Jacob Ratumaituvuki-Kneepkens and Timoci Tavatavanawai is very exciting, and a great addition to the already in place martin bogada, jonah lowe and jona nareki.

up front Tom sanders and mitch dunshea are added from the crusaders to strengthen the engine room.

Blues

notable movements:

Beaudie barrett to japan is the big name leaving, while Nepo Laulala will also be missed. Leon Mc Donald leaving a scoach to join the AB coaching squad is a big move, but vern Cotter coming in could be that ingredient that moves this very talented blues squad from bridesmaid to bride. Roger Tuivasa scheck moving back to rugby league is probably the only other noteworthy move out.

Angus ta'avo returns to the blues from the chiefs, and is the only real noticeable signing, as the squad is strong enough already.

The 2024 Gallagher Chiefs Squad (Province, Chiefs caps):

Sione Ahio (Auckland, 0)

Naitoa Ah Kuoi (Bay of Plenty, 49)

Kaylum Boshier (Taranaki, 17)

Liam Coombes-Fabling (Waikato, 4)

George Dyer (Waikato, 21)

Samipeni Finau (Waikato, 32)

Tom Florence (Taranaki, 3)

Josh Ioane (Waikato, 17)

Luke Jacobson (Waikato, 63)

Kauvaka Kaivelata (Counties Manukau, 0)

Anton Lienert-Brown (Waikato, 106)

Josh Lord (Taranaki, 19)

Peniasi Malimali (Counties Manukau, 3)

Damian McKenzie (Waikato, 111)

Etene Nanai-Seturo (Counties Manukau, 44)

Emoni Narawa (Bay of Plenty, 29)

Ollie Norris (Waikato, 45)

Reuben O'Neill (Taranaki, 15)

Simon Parker (Waikato, 8)

Rameka Poihipi (Canterbury, 30)

Jared Proffit (Taranaki, 4)

Cortez Ratima (Waikato, 26)

Xavier Roe (Waikato, 17)

Daniel Rona (Taranaki, 9)

Aidan Ross (Bay of Plenty, 74)

Manaaki Selby-Rickit (Bay of Plenty, 5)

Wallace Sititi (North Harbour, 0)

Bradley Slater (Taranaki, 49)

Shaun Stevenson (North Harbour, 84)

Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi (Bay of Plenty, 50)

Samisoni Taukei'aho (Waikato, 78)

Tyrone Thompson (Hawkes Bay, 15)

Kaleb Trask (Bay of Plenty, 23)

Quinn Tupaea (Waikato, 34)

Jimmy Tupou (Counties Manukau, 0)

Tupou Vaa'i (Taranaki, 44)

Gideon Wrampling (Waikato, 2)

Malachi Wrampling-Alec (Waikato, 0)

whos bright idea was it to list the players alphabetically ??

notable movements:

all blacks Brad webber, brodie retllick and same cane are all gone for the 2024 season. Nankivell to munster already.

No one really on the way in is notable, but the return of Quinn Tupaea after a season out with injury will be just like a brand new big signing. Liam Coombes-Fabling getting a full contract after short term last year is also a big signing of sorts.

Hurricanes 2024 DHL Super Rugby Pacific squad

FORWARDS

Props

Siale Lauaki – Wellington

Tyrel Lomax – Tasman

Tevita Mafileo – Bay of Plenty

Xavier Numia – Wellington

Pouri Rakete-Stones – Hawke’s Bay

Pasilio Tosi – Bay of Plenty

Hookers

Asafo Aumua – Wellington

Jacob Devery – Hawke’s Bay

James O’Reilly – Wellington

Locks

Caleb Delany – Wellington

Ben Grant – North Harbour

Justin Sangster – Bay of Plenty

Josh Taula – Manawatū

James Tucker – Waikato

Isaia Walker-Leawere – Hawke’s Bay

Loose Forwards

Devan Flanders – Hawke’s Bay

TK Howden – Manawatū

Brayden Iose – Manawatū

Du’Plessis Kirifi – Wellington

Peter Lakai – Wellington

Brad Shields – Wellington

BACKS

Halfbacks

Richard Judd – Bay of Plenty

TJ Perenara – Wellington

Cam Roigard – Counties Manukau

Five-eighths

Brett Cameron – Manawatū

Aidan Morgan – Wellington

Midfield

Jordie Barrett – Taranaki

Riley Higgins – Wellington

Billy Proctor – Wellington

Bailyn Sullivan – Waikato

Peter Umaga-Jensen – Wellington

Outside Backs

Harry Godfrey – Hawke’s Bay

Ruben Love – Wellington

Josh Moorby – Northland

Kini Naholo – Taranaki

Ngatungane Punivai – Canterbury

Salesi Rayasi – Auckland

Daniel Sinkinson – Waikato

notable movements:

some aged all blacks leaving, like Dane Coles, Owen franks and Julian Savea... but the big one is Ardie going to Japan at the height of his powers.

on movement in, again another coach goes to the ABs squad, jason holland, to be replaced with Clarke Laidlaw (Gregs cousin!), coming from coaching the NZ 7s for the last 6 years. A bit of a left field appointment to say the least, Clarke has no 15s experience apart from 3 years as assistant coach in hurricanes and london irish over 7 years ago.

on the field Punivai from the chiefs is probably the biggest name signing.

who gets the most minutes between Perenara and Riogard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Super Rugby has fallen off a cliff, the Aus sides are not up to standard and I can't see them getting much better. The island teams are getting better but still very early days.

It's really a competition on which NZ side can win.

Didn't Cotter get Joe into some behind the curtain role for the Blues? I thought I heard something when he was leaving NZ. They could be the team to put good money on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Cheers @sydthebeat Good work putting all that together. I always quite enjoy SR in the year after a RWC as you often see some bright new star burst on the seen. 2012 saw the arrival of Beauden Barrett, Aaron Smith, Brodie Rettallick and Julian Savea if memory serves me correctly. All against Ireland (sorry).

I didn't really watch much NPC this year so don't know who to really look out for but no doubt there will be a few players bursting on to the scene. I have high expectations for Fergus Burke and Zach Gallagher at the Crusaders. Would love to see Segner nail down a starting spot with the Blues because I love his work rate. The battle between TJP and Roigard will be very interesting. And I'd love to see Fakatava and Aumua finally live up to the hype they had around them a few years ago.

@Clo-Clo wouldn't be surprised if Schmidt got involved with the Blues. He was the assistant coach there before going to Clermont and himself and Cotter worked together at Clermont and BOP before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Whispers of Joe going to Montpellier and also from The 42 about taking the Australia job.

Would be surprised to see him take a head coach role like Australia again with all the media work, he wants a job like NZ when he doesn't have to talk to the media etc.

Montpellier I don't see either as his entire family would have to move again

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

Sam Darry, the lock here who Rugbypass have touted as a potential Test debutant for the All Blacks this year supposedly has the full name Sam Larry Harry Gary Barry Darry.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

I saw it on his Wikipedia page, and then there is a Stuff.co.nz story with it in the headline, but struggling to authenticate it beyond that, so it’s possibly a joke.

• Advertisement

Anyone interested in a super rugby predictor game?

Join boards.ie SR 2023, my Super Rugby Pacific Predictor league on Superbru! You can find my pool here:

https://www.superbru.com/superrugby/pool.php?p=12761687

or by downloading the Superbru app and searching for the pool with code:

buysnoah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

There is another boards pool on superbru set up as well. Any linked to group there will have the invite sent to them

some pre season friendlies for viewing if anyone's interested:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Many Irish players playing this season? I see Cormac Daly is with the Reds but haven’t noticed anyone else. Is Liam Coombes- fabling Irish qualified?

I don't know of anyone else to be honest. None explicitly Irish anyway.

There's an Ollie callan playing for the force this year who was born in London, might possible have Irish connections.

I don't think LCF has any Irish qualifications. I remember him from his time with the Highlanders a few seasons back.

Rhys Patchell did well by all accounts

real smack of 2013 off this crusaders bench

Moody, Crotty and Franks equate to 106 years of age and 420 crusaders caps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Two strong enough packs named.

I smart man doesn't bet against the crusaders but I'm leaning towards a Chiefs win.

some questions to be answered this season in SR 24.

1. how will the Tahs fare without captain Hooper? they've also lost Latu, Faulkner, Beale and Nadolo from their "senior" group. Add to that the knowledge that Marky Mark is out the door at the end of the season. This could be a stodgy season for them.
    2. How will the only irish player in SR this season, ex tarf lock Cormac Daly, get on? He starts on the bench this weekend. The reds have brought in great experience with Alex Hodgman and JTA from ulster, can they become the top aussie team ? Will Kiss do better than Thorn?
    3. how will the rebels play with their demise staring them in the face for the whole season? will their players be looking further afield all teh way through?
    4. can the brumbies maintain their status as teh best aussie team? will they suffer the loss of nic white much?
    5. can the force provide a challenge to the play offs? they appear to have recruited the best of the aussies, to go with a pretty settled first team. is cron out of his depth?

1. how will the crusaders deal with the loss of some very senior players, and Robertson? add to that the loss now of Jordan for the season. can reihana fulfill his promise?
    2. will the blues continue to flatter to deceive, surely SURELY this is (again) their season?? is cotter the man to bring them back to the gloryland?
    3. will the highlanders end up bottom of the NZ log again? No Aaron Smith, but certainly have recruited extremely cleverly. Play offs a must this season
    4. how will the chiefs fare without Cane, Weber, Rettalick? they cannot afford an injury to either jacobsen or Vaai.
    5. can the canes move beyond their mediocre status of the last few years? will riogard move beyond perenara (as he should?) interestingly the canes are starting with the unknown Jordi Viljoen this weekend.

1. can the drua build on their RWC progression? Can they finally solidify their set piece. an extra 3 points last season and they would have had a very winnable play off game against brumbies. Can they go one further this season and make the SFs ?
    2. what can pasifika do to not end up at the bottom of the league? the loss of aumua will be huge. Is Julian Savea the answer at 12? Their back 5 forwards have been their weak point (excluding fai'ilagi). An increase on 1 season win is their goal in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Dominant first half from the chiefs

Some turn around from Crusaders

Post edited by Dillonb3 on

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Watching on on New Zealand tv, the commentators attitude towards head injuries couldn’t be any more different to the northern hemisphere ..

Bugger. Completely forgot that it was starting this weekend. Didn't set the record button. Was it a good game?

Theres generally more of an attitude of toughen up, walk it off, you'll be right in Australia, NZ and SA than there is in the NH. And that's not just in rugby but in life in general. I see it in the difference in parenting style of my kiwi mates and their Irish partners. Also the difference between my Irish family and kiwi family.

Not saying the SH attitude is right or wrong, just that there is a cultural difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Has long been a bad joke. Some of the head collisions and excuses for players in the business end of last season were brutal. Jeff Wilson was particularly dismissive of it, I recall. Lads were being taken off, unsteady on their feet with Wilson calling for play on.

When we see a SH referee in the Wales vs Scotland game determine that two clear head collisions were no cause for concern or penalty, it suggests that it's not just pundits/players that see things very differently.

It was mentioned repeatedly that it would potentially bite them in the RWC and it did with NZ shipping 6 yellow cards and 2 red cards over the tournament including a red and yellow in the final both for dangerous play.

How many of NZ's cards were for high shots? I know the red in the final was but the yellow wasn't.

The consistency amongst referees AND judiciaries is one of the big issues in rugby globally.

Post edited by Yeah_Right on

high shots:

de groots red against namibia

canes red in final

not high shots:

smiths yellow for deliberate knock on

jordans taking the player out in the air

frizzell landing on standing mbonambis leg

taylor pullling down a maul

barrett on the ground playing the ball

however, add Barretts red in the RWC warm up (TRC) against SA a few weeks earlier, the optics of 3 red cards for high shots in the space of 2 months certain suggest a problem with getting to grips with the new laws.

the accumulation of yellow cards is just a discipline issue (which cost NZ the RWC imo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yeah, I was deliberately ambiguous to suit myself by saying "foul play" regarding the final!

But I'm far from convinced Frizzell's yellow card would have been given if it took place in the Super Rugby tournament.

Advertisement