Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

About to buy first EV

Options
  • 14-11-2023 2:35am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭

My wife's old car is giving up the ghost so it's time for a replacement and she's decided that she wants to get an EV. It'll be used mainly for her daily commute and local trips so range isn't a major issue and we'll use my ICE car for any longer journeys. We just got a home charger installed, and envisage pretty much all charging to be done at home. The likelihood is that the car will be kept for at least 5 years, so ideally we're looking at 2021/22 models. Having had a look at a few sites there are a number of cars she likes the look of that would fit our budget, but neither of us have any experience of EVs, so we'd be interested in hearing if there are any compelling reasons for or against buying any of the following - Volkswagen ID3, Peugeot 208, Opel Corsa or BMW i3.

Obviously the other obvious choice is a Nissan Leaf, but a recent thread here made reference to Chademo and CCS chargers, and how there could be an issue for public charging in the future. I'm not really clear on what the issue is, is it that the Leaf uses older and presumably slower charging technology? And on the subject of public charging, on the off chance she'll need it once in a while is there a specific company to sign up with, or do Electric Ireland cover all public chargers?

Any other tips or advice on what to look out for before we go looking at cars would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭con747

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm no expert. Here's my personal option as a novice.

Newer Leafs uses a charger thats probably going to harder to find in future years if you are doing long trips. Also it might be slow to charge on the 2nd and 3rd charge when on a long journey.

If you are doing almost entirely local trips and home charging this don't effect you. But it will hurt resale and trade in values. So don't over pay for one. Other than that a nice EV. I don't like the looks myself. But I think it a lot of car if you get a deal and are aware of the limitations.

BMW only had seats 4 and has weird back doors which might be annoying if you have kids. Otherwise a class act.

For me personally I don't know anything about the Open or Peugeot. These are bands people either love it hate.

Always liked VW but the ID3 has buggy software and annoying touch controls. But it's a great EV otherwise. It's come down in price so possible to get a cheaper one now. I enjoyed test drive more than I expected.

I think you should test drive them all. The interiors and controls are quite different in them. I expect you'll like one more than the others if you do..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If you're charging at home then fast chargers and public chargers are irrelevant 99 % of the time, and if you're going in a long trip, the motorway service stations will continue to have Chademo for years to come

You'll need to get both the easygo app and the ESB ecar connect apps to use the majority of public chargers and there are some free chargers on the easygo app to get some free juice if you're out and about and want to park for a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

A few things to consider:

1. You may find you’ll fall in love with the EV and will use it at every opportunity - leaving the ICE in the driveway most of the time (guess it depends what sort of ICE you have I guess
    2. If 1 is true for you, then you’ll regret not getting something with decent range - maybe you have a company car or are super rich 😀- but if not, your ICE today may get used less and less which may mean you’ll wish it was bigger faster and with more range
    3. A new car purchase might give you more favourable credit terms if taking out a loan - just something to consider
    4. So really, if you think you’ll both start arguing over who takes the EV 😀- then maybe consider a bigger newer model and literally use it for as much travel as possible

We both have ICE’s but mine is 15 years old now - an cheap low range EV will be my next car simply because the other ICE is very good and still owing a few quid on it - but if I could turn back the clock I would have gone brand new EV, good range - might have cost a bit more but long term I think it would have made sense

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

You haven't mentioned what car she has and what are the detailed needs. If there are kids, that can mean the difference between choosing a practical ID3, or a fun i3.

Anyway, I see the budget is around 25k, so a decent starting point for a used EV. Let's see:

ID3. She's a practical econobox with a reliable badge. Could do a lot worse.

Opel & Peugeot. Not heard much about these, but they are on the smaller side.

i3. Small but roomy and very marmite. Only 4 seats. Fun go-kart driving. You'd be looking at the larger battery for your budget.

Leaf. Worth considering. Super reliable and despite being CHAdeMO, is still a serious contender unless the car is needed for regular long journeys of 200km or more. If getting one, go for the Tekna/SVE model.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thanks all, some very useful advice to go on there, appreciate you taking the time to reply. To answer a couple of questions asked - she's replacing a Golf. She isn't interested in anything much bigger than that, so the cars I asked about should be OK on that score. No kids and very rarely have anyone in the back seat, so access to the back seats is not a big concern other than for shopping, etc. Only long trip we do regularly is to Cork several times a year. We'll be using my car for that as it's a tedious enough drive without making it longer by having to stop and recharge! Don't have the budget for a new EV unfortunately, so it will have to be a used model, but should be able to pick up something fairly recent with the funds available. We're going to pick out a few cars on the usual websites over the next day or two and go have a look at them at the weekend, so hopefully she'll have a better idea what she wants after that.

There's also the eGolf, Electric Mini if you don't need the range. Both more engaging to drive than some other EVs.

Market has fallen at the moment, so a lot more choice in your price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Kia E-Niro and Hyundai Kona are two more EVs you could check out second hand.

Kia E-Soul as well second hand is a great car.

Renault Zoe too but its not really very big and range is not great still a great little car do.

Hyundai Ionic. Great looking car. It's the car the Ionic 5 replaced.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The zero NCAP rating on the Zoe has ruled that out, which is a pity because my wife likes the look of them. Neither of us I are fans of the Ionic's looks, particularly the front of it, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Not too familiar with the others though, must check them out.

Really have to sit and drive them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

Polestar 2 is great and kind of Golf size but is expensive, great spec and a phenomenal drive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Steady on with the "phenomenal drive" nonsense 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

I've owned a Nissan Leaf 40 for 5 years now. It's been 100% reliable, I love it and I hope it keeps going for another 10 years - there are caveats though...

* 99% of my charging is home charging so the Chademo thing is not an issue

* The longest drive I do in it is approx 160km from Greystones to Athlone. It can do this no problem as long as not driven at 110+ on the motorway (obvs I could go further if I stopped to charge but I don't like doing that if I can avoid it - we have an old Skoda Superb that gets used for longer trips)

* I am very comfortable with driving the car until the battery is down to its last percent or two as long as I know I have enough battery to get to my destination. I know other EV owners who won't let the battery go down anywhere near that low "in case of the worst". Depending on which category you see yourself in, factor that in to the size of battery you need

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Point of info: the new Citroën ë-3 coming out next year will be priced at around 23k for the basic model, so you're not necessarily restricted to the secondhand market.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If you could stretch the budget to the €32-€33k mark, you are getting into Tesla Model 3 territory, and you are then on another level when compared to everything else you’ve considered…

A Model 3 would become your main car though… even for long drives thanks to the Supercharger network…

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/35220400

TESLA MODEL3 STANDARD RANGE PLUS - 1 OWNER- 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

33k for that 4 year old Model 3 seems a little steep when a brand new one is listing at under 42k (without the tow bar). Of course both are out of the poster's budget and a Tesla would be larger and less hatchback-y than needed to replace a Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I didn't go into Tesla Model 3 territory because the OP was talking about smaller cars and the Tesla is about 5-7k over the estimated budget. There's also the fact that the OP would be stealing his partners car all the time if she got a Model 3 😂

Driving to Cork...the ICE would be left behind, I guarantee you. 5 star safety, comfort and waaay cheaper to get there and back.

Stay Free

For all the benefits a Tesla may offer, it's just too far over the budget to even bother thinking about. The e-3 looks interesting, but I just had a look and it's on sale in Q1 next year, so with delivery time added it could be well into next year before she got one, and she doesn't really want to wait that long. Pity, would have been nice to have the novelty of a brand new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭daarmcd

Take a test drive in a Renault Zoe GT line r135 model, loads of spec

24k would get you 2021 or 2022 depending on your neg skills.

Superfun little car, during the summer around town we get near 400km's for 7 euro charge.

120km commuting on motorways drops to 300km,

In winter town 300km motorway 250km

• Advertisement

The Zoe was actually the first car she looked at, but the zero star NCAP rating saw it quickly removed from the list of possibles.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭daarmcd

The zero star NCAP is the base Life model

The GT line has 5 star

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres a few cars now with zero NCAP ratings now because they added loads of safety features like front crash detection and lane assist etc. They are not dangerous cars at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭vimalandrew

I am owning a Toyota Bz4x and I am very happy with it. It costs more than 50K. Once they expose the rest of the battery, I may get 450km on ful charge. During winter when heater is on, all these electric cars will give you only 60 to 70 percent of the range.

After looking around, my advice is to go for a Chinese car. They are 10K less than our usual models. MG or BYD. MG Zs EV looks old style. So MG4 or BYD Atto3 are the best choices in the current market. They provide something around 400km range. If you want a range of more than 550km, I would advice for the new BYD Zeal which has a 82kw battery. For the coming 3 or 4 years, a Chinese car would be the best option.

Toyota has already invented solid state battery which can give 1200km which can charge in 0 minutes, which is not affected by cold or hot climate, which is half expensive than current, which is half the weight than current. So wait for 3 or 4 years for that and you can see that Japan is going to rise again as a super power with their solid state battery technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

This is a total sidebar but how is there a car for sale that has a 0 NCAP rating?

Is it waiting reassessment or some other bureaucratic tangle?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Toyota has already invented solid state battery which can give 1200km which can charge in 0 minutes,

It's just around the corner isn't it...? You're a gas man Vimal.... you loved the car when you got it, then you hated it, and now you love it again....?

Every year they announce that solid state batteries are just around the corner... so don't buy an EV just yet... keep buying our self charging hybrids....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The Zoe when released had a 5 star rating, between NCAP changes and removal of a head airbag it dropped to 0 stars. Mostly it was test changes that reduced it from 5 to 0 stars.

Nowadays you need a lot more active safety systems to maintain a high rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Andy, don't be trying to use things like evidence to convince vim otherwise, Toyota is king for him.

Poor chap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭vimalandrew

See my dear. Companies have already invested billions in li ion battery factories. So it will take time to make a change. Also America wants tesla to be number one and Elon Musk to be the world's richest person. Tesla share prices they want to keep high. I know few months back, gautam Adani, from my home country was about to overtake Musk as the richest person. But immediately they screwed him. So we need to wait.

Advertisement