Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moving from diesel to Electric - weekly long commute

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Diesel prices are likely on a downward trajectory towards 165c/l in the next few months - assuming there is no geopolitical shock (which TBF is something that really cannot be taken for granted).

I wouldn't move to electric if the sole driver is cost savings as they will be relatively minor over the depreciation cost Vs a relatively similar specced new ice. Move to electric if you want a nicer calmer cabin, a smoother drive and no hesitation motoring as a primary motivation.

Depreciation is a complete unknown at the moment over a three year horizon for all cars. New EVs are getting cheaper with longer range, so this will hammer values for current models on the road. Equally, the end of the road for ICE will equally be in sight too so residuals on those vehicles will take a battering. I think a new car of any kind is a much larger financial risk at the moment compared to any time since the oil crisis and one would need to be prepared to write off a much larger proportion of the value than normal.

The cheapest motoring for distance cruising however right now remains old diesel that you don't hold onto for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

mulling a job offer in dublin. i live in waterford and would need to commute 3 days a week. 460km round trip. the reason i haven't taken it yet is the commute but that's an entirely different discussion.

while its not a diesel i drive a 1.0 petrol seat ateca. at current prices it'll cost approx. €50 per round trip.

The ABRP website is saying the 2024 tesla M3 LR would do the round trip with a stop on the return trip at the ballacolla tesla supercharger on the m8 and get me home with 20% charge (assuming i left with 100% soc). cost of charging in laois would come to €5.73 plus home charging at night for 8 hours works out at just over €13 giving me a round trip total of circa €19...lets say €20. that's a saving of €30 per day or €90 per week or ~€4k/year.

my question is how accurate is the ABRP website and are the assumptions correct e.g. Start SOC @100%?

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Its usually pretty accurate, sometimes even a bit pessimistic on what % you will arrive with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭sh81722

Sounds about right. If you got to charge at work for a couple of hours that would also be an option. And it would mean no stop needed on the way home.

But it is a long commute three days a week. The range difference between the LR and RWD is not that large btw, and you can charge to 100% without worry, but the LR has more speakers which I'd appreciated when spending a long time at the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

I put lismore to dublin into my phone, it says 221 km 2 hours 41 minutes, why is ABRP 30 minutes faster for a 40 km longer trip including a 5 minute stop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭joe1303l

You’d be crazy to take that on. Works out at 70,000Km per year just on travel to/from work. Depreciation on a Tesla or another EV with that mileage would be the crucial cost regardless of electricity/fuel prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

If you can take the train and go max twice a week it might be somewhat doable. I wouldn’t drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

Thanks folks. Good to know it can be done for €20 and the website is accurate.

As for the job it's a great offer but the 3 day commute is the deal breaker. 2 days and I'd go for it.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 11,686 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I dunno if I'd switch from a 640d. Lovely motor and the right journey to enjoy it. I'd nearly live with the higher running costs, and mileage for the enjoyment. Unless you just want a change, or you want to prioritise the running costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,686 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

If you are young maybe. Personally I wouldn't do that commute. Maybe once a week. I know someone who does it by bus one or two times a week. I personally wouldn't do it. I wouldn't get into an expensive EV to do it either. But if you are up for it, I'd get a cheap diesel for that. Not that you couldn't make the EV work, if it you wanted to do it. You could pick up a cheap ID3 that has taken a bit depreciation hit, you wouldn't be putting that much money into the total cost of ownership, vs a new EV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I find ABRP overestimates the energy usage in a Tesla from personal experience. A handy guide though. Also make sure to tick CCS as might be quicker to go on the M9 rather than M8.

Compare the trip in a RWD as you have to stop anyway so mightn't be much difference, e.g. 5mins vs 8mins. Cheaper to buy, slightly more efficient.

Advertisement