Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Commuting Questions?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Eiregt

I've seen a few people recommend hydrophobic thermal work gloves from Amazon lately.

They're cheap at about €10-15 delivered free with a Prime account and fully waterproof with a thermal fleece liner and rubber grips for the fingers.

Personally I haven't tried them but for the money and the reviews I've seen, I think I'll be giving them a go.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I use the Barrier Deep Winter gloves in cold weather and Ardennes gloves in cool weather

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Paddigol

It's a personal choice when it comes to gloves, but as someone who suffers from cold hands and has tried all sorts - the neoprene types, the waterproof winter types, the thick thermal winter types - these are by a long, LONG distance the best gloves I have ever worn. Probably my most valuable piece of cycling kit...

Élysée Leather Glove - Galibier

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I have pretty standard BBB winter gloves but when it gets near 0°C I wear very thin gloves underneath the BBB gloves. Really improves the heat retention. A woman I know who skies tells me she wears thin silk gloves under her ski gloves, but whatever the gloves I have are made of, it's something a lot less fancy than silk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Thanks guys - just ordered a pair off galibier!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Ski gloves from LIDL / ALDI are always useful but don't get them too tight as you will sweat if they haven't some movement in them.

For someone who suffers from cold hands... sweaty hands after any kind of exertion on the bike is something I used to get with pretty much every variant of winter glove I tried. You'd be lovely and cosy... then a bit too warm, or you'd need to take them off for some reason, and the liner would be stuck to your hands trying to get them off. And then putting them back on a while later... damp, cold misery. I'll never go back to them. Maybe neoprene/ Sealkinz types for cyclocross in cold, wet weather, but other than that, nah.

That's not to say everyone will suffer from sweaty hands, so maybe some of those uber thick deep barrier winter gloves work fine for others, even under exertion. It's very much a personal choice. I just can't be dealing with - cold feet/, cold hands/ sweaty hands.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Mine were sweaty until I got the larger ones, the snuggness was not my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

I see they recommend washing them "after intense rides"- what detergent would you use to wash leather?

• Advertisement

No idea to be quite honest because (not sure if I should admit this!) I haven't had cause to clean them yet... But I imagine there are well established routines for cleaning leather gloves that should be available online (Rapha sell a similar version, maybe they have a link to cleaning guide). Presumably it's only the lining that would need cleaning in that sense, usual leather care products will do the job on the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Just to report back - got the Ardennes gloves from galibier and they arrived super fast and seem exactly what I was looking for - thanks for all the advice. Seem very good quality and a nice fit. Would recommend

Advertisement