Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Commuting Questions?

Options
  • 09-11-2023 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I hope you are all keeping well.

I plan to commute along the coast of Dublin's Northside, around the port and up towards Sandyford.

I ride an endurance spec Canyon road bike with 25mm tyres. My current tyres are Lifeline (Wiggle brand) pro armour tyres... Good puncture resistance and kinda grippy.

I am a little concerned of the upcoming winter as I kind of depend on my bike to get to work.

My questions for you are...

1) do you cycle in all Wintery weather or do you just leave the bike at home in certain conditions?

2) do you put more grippy tyres on your bike in Winter?

This particular bike has a max tyre size of 25mm...but I have a second bike that accommodate tyres up to 40mm..

3) any other safety advice for commuting in Winter?

Thanks for reading & I appreciate your advice,

A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

i ride most days year round.

1. LIGHTS! make sure you have a descent set (and carry backup set)
    2. carry two spare tubes
    3. if you can, leave spare cycling clothes in work in the event you need a dry set for cycling home.
    4. try not to look too smug as you pass motorists stuck in long lines of non-moving traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Paddigol

What Lapierre said!

I run heavy tyres (Schwalbe Durano Plus) on my commuter all year round - more for the crap that gets flung to the side of the road/ bike lanes than for wet conditions. Last thing you want on a cold, dark, wet, windy night/ morning is to be stuck faffing around fixing a puncture.

Allow for extra crap driving skill from motorists - I give myself a bit more braking distance and take the road a bit more where I know there's a risk of stunt-pulling.

Avoid puddles where possible - you never know if you're about to hit the edge of a hidden pot hole (although this applies year-round).

Ditto road paint - slippy as f**k in the wet (also not strictly a winter thing).

If you suffer from cold hands/ feet - prioritise getting decent gloves (I'm a huge fan of Galibier's leather winter gloves).

Prioritise warmth over trying to stay dry - it's the cold that'll kill you! Layers are great for this - warm base layer; breathable long sleeve jersey; good gilet; packable waterproof jacket.

Personally I love commuting in the winter - the fact that the traffic always seems to be worse and motorists (of which I'd otherwise be one) more miserable makes it all the more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Thanks for the reply .. I have a set of lights.. a stronger front light, for when the mornings get really dark..

Good idea on the extra clothes and lights!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd also advise throwing in a few latex gloves into your bag to help when having to fix a puncture in the cold & wet.

I leave a spare tube and a small pocket toolkit in my desk just in case. I also leave some USB cables in my desk so I can charge stuff (lights, cameras, etc.) if necessary.

Do you guys cycle if the forecast is for frost or even icy stretches?

Icy conditions would probably be a no go for me!

• Advertisement

Main roads tend to be fine as they'd be gritted but hard shoulders, etc won't really have benefited from this. I'd generally only see frost in my housing estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Gloves and overshoes are top priorities after being seen .Don’t take risks if a bit icy and take the bus or car if really icy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,546 ✭✭✭billyhead

As above estates can be lethal when frost or ice is forecast so walk with the bike to a road that is gritted. Check the Dublin city council website for gritted routes. As mentioned it's all about layers. Get a good winter buff and gloves. Overshoes will keep your feet toasty aswell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As above, good lights, decent layers, expect people to be stupid and act accordingly.

Given your route, frost/ice shouldn’t be big factor as that route willl be gritted frequently. At least the roads will be, but not the bike lane from Sutton Cross to Blackrock. So cycle on the road if you can. Lower your tyre pressure too which will give you more grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I go Marathon Plus for commuting, but it's purely a commuter (they suck the joy out of weekend spins). Not grippy, but if you're aware of that you can adjust.

Wet days are the best days imo, passing lines and lines of cars. Just be more aware that these are also the days frustrated drivers pull more dick moves into bus lanes (and even grade separated cycle lanes which I had on one occasion!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

When I commuted I used Durano plus tyres and found them great. If you definitely want to avoid punctures you can get solid tyres (Tannus).

Ref lights, I always had 2 on the rear in case one failed as you wouldn't notice until you got off the bike, but I was riding a lot of country roads with no street lighting

Yea, the coastal cycle path can be completely frosted over...

I cycled along it before.. on the straight was fine.. I just took corners verrrry slowly and carefully...

I find dark, winter mornings,when it is raining heavily, can be quite dangerous...

If you are driving, the wipers are going.. there is a reflection and glare on the roads from the street lighting....I think it is definitely more risky for us commuters....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭saccades

A wee dab of Vaseline for your lips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Mudguards, if you don't have them already.

Hi mate! Yes I have a rear mudguard...

Saves a lot of spashes over your clothing...

So much debris,gravel, leaves etc on the roads and bike paths now!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MyDarkArts

Skull-cap that fits under your lid is a nice addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Londonirish72

Oh - and this works for the summer as well, but wear a peaked cap under your cycling helmet and this will help keep rain out of your eyes/glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,742 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I like mudflaps (not just mudguards) on bikes that don't have a chain case. Keeps your feet drier, keeps schmutz/salt off your chain. Front mudflap is all you need, but I pull trailers sometimes, so I have front and rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

jumping in on the thread any recommendations on lights within a reasonable budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

What is a reasonable budget for you ?

Are they lights to help people see you better or do you also need to light up the road ahead of you ? Are you using lit roads or country lanes etc .

All info people will need to give you informed advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

i would need a mix, but mainly cycling on road lit roads.

Maybe 100euro for front and back, but flexible in the budget if recommendations push it out a bit.

As per @fiacha's post, are you looking for front and/or rear lights?

If front lights, do you want to see the road ahead in the dark or are you wanting lights for others to see you?

Garmin RTL515 rear and Garmin UT800 front.

I use these and i like the fact they link in with your Garmin unit.

Only down side is battery life. if your commute is over an hour, you will have to recharge the front light for your commute home.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭fiacha

I have a pair from Ravemen which I have been happy with.

I mostly use them in daylight flashing mode, but the front light has been fine on lit roads at night. The light itself is very good, just not sure which lumen model you would be best for more night riding. Can't fault the rear light at all.

Ordered direct from Ravemen. All taxes included in price.

I've a CR500 (your one goes one* higher!) and it is a great light.

I recently got the Ravemen FR160 and whilst it doesn't light the road up, it is bright enough for drivers (who are not looking at their phone) to see you. Plus it is very discreetly mounted under my Garmin unit.

* one hundred!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Just to pop back into this thread . I can recall few more existential crises in life than realising you’re too far out in the ice and can hardly move ….and it’s getting colder and darker .4 wheels make far more sense in slippy conditions than two .Having said that can remember a few cracking spins in moderate to heavy snow when you’d be going nearly as fast ( or faster !) than the traffic ! A certain kind of snow and the right zen frame of mind ( and desire to get home asap ) can see you hardly slow at all .But a nasty frost can see you almost paralysed with fear at zero kmh / mph .Glad not to be a bike commuter anymore in fairness !

I remember particularly bad Sundays when road spins would be converted to impromptu cyclo cross spins in central reservation grass of N4 between Palmerstown and Lucan ( this is pre 2000!)

On a side note I have a pair of Schwalbe Marathon going to waste in the shed if anybody wants to add an extra kilo to their bikes weight in the name of puncture resistance and moderate nasty weather grip .PM me , make me an offer before moderator deletes this or buys them :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭vintcerf

do you have the Garmin UT800 on solid or flashing? mine lasts 20+ hours on day flash and it's about a year old.

I ride on unlit roads, it’s on Solid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Recently got flaps on my mudguards, absolute gamechanger, bike and feet are spotless

Advertisement