Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jozef Puska guilty of murder of Ashling Murphy (Mod notes and threadbans in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

That's interesting and it makes sense. I was impressed with how thorough the evidence given during the trial was. At least to my layperson's ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It was good to see that the jury was in no way taken in by his lying bullsh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Butson

Well he has been draining the country of resources since he arrived here, so, ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭pjordan

I would've imagined she'd only have wanted him found not guilty, so she could campaign to have him and his whole extended family deported and chalk it up as a double victory in her moral campaigns!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It was stressed in the reporting throughout, that there was no connection whatsoever between them.

They were not known to each other.

(And as has been posted above, apart from anything else, from a geographic point of view it would make no sense that his children would be attending the school where she taught.)

Evidence was given that he followed more than one potential victim that day. Poor Ashling was the one that was murdered. But it could have been any one of the others either.

From that report:

Jozef Puska didn't know Ashling. They’d never met. Despite a widely spread rumour that Ashling had contact with him or his family through her work as a primary school teacher, the truth was that there was absolutely no connection between them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

"To all the men out there, be prepared to comfort the women in your lives as it is likely to be an emotional day for all women today"

This whole case has attracted this kind of nonsense hyperbole from day one (it kind of vanished for a while when it turned out it was a man from an immigrant background though).

I think you'll find that most women in Ireland are going about their normal business today and not getting emotional over this news story, no more than any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Manc-Red_

May he pay the price for taking away a girl’s bright future in such a callous way.

R.I.P Ashling.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

But we’re all so weak and living in terror and afraid to leave our homes, because all men are utterly awful in every way, don’t you know.

Down with men. Or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

It was the actual murder which had more of an effect on some women I know. It made some think twice about where they'd be walking, and with who. From what I've heard, that canal walk in Tullamore had become more popular once the Covid restrictions came in. By its nature, it's a lonely enough place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s astonishing how this case has been instrumentalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Because they're still human beings with emotions and feelings and families and loved ones etc.

It must be incredibly difficult taking a case where you "know" someone has caused so much horror and pain to others, and yet here you are working as hard as you can (supposed to be) in trying to get them away with it.

This is the point I believe is being made. Yes, we all know the legal element and side to it; but the cold hard human emotional side to it exists as well.

BTW, I'd hazard a guess that Mr. Bowman is far happier with this guilty verdict than he would be with a not guilty verdict. Human emotions

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

Nailed it. I think this trial showed what a robust legal system we have. The entire legal system from day 1 played a blinder, even in the unusual jury selection of 9 men and 3 women I think they proved their commitment to due procedure and process. It was probably felt that a jury with more men than women meant he would get a fair hearing. They were all told to avoid emotion for the victim and rule on what was presented to them, avoid outside influence, etc.

He hadn't a leg to stand on yet the defence picked holes and probed and thankfully the jury did not feel that evidence was strong enough.

This is the justice system we have. The law can be an ass but its also built with the scales of justice as their ethos which ensures that everybody - no matter how heinous their crime - has the right to a fair hearing and legal defence.

I think we should be glad we have it. I doubt it has many innocent men or women locked up, or guilty men or women walking the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭crusd

If there is no defence there is no trial and if there is no trial there is no conviction

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Isn't it great that we have you here to tell us what all women are doing? Maith an fear.

Anyone with an ounce of sense would be thankful that this dangerous individual has been found guilty and won't be out roaming freely looking for more victims any time soon, whether you are a man or a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

I thought you said you have forced yourself to learn some empathy...

honestly it’s better to not even mention her name, who actually cares what she says? She’s a deranged lunatic like.

Oh Gemma o Doherty said it’s a setup? The same Gemma o Doherty that took (without permission and despite objections) the photograph of a young man who killed himself to publish alongside an article claiming he died via covid vaccine?

Ah yeah sure she’s very important

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Kalimah

What struck me was the fact that Puska was in Ireland since 2013 and needed an interpreter for the Garda interview.

I enjoy debating you and you’re a good poster, but jaysus you’re awful cold at times..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Happily I'd imagine... The job of a solicitor is to represent the client, not necessarily to believe the client. There's no way his defence solicitor didn't see through his BS and without a defence solicitor there would be no case or conviction

If he’s on invalidity pension (or more likely DA) then his wife is probably getting Carers Allowance in respect of him.

To break that down for you it looks a bit like this (this is repeated in 1000s of homes across the country):

€220 DA for himself

€146 dependent spouse for her

€42 *5 dependent children under 12

€118 carers allowance 1/2 rate for her.

=€694 per week.

Add on :

€1850 once a year RCG.

Fuel allowance €924 per year

BTSCFA €1300

Child Benefit €8700

Electricity Allowance €35 per month

Free Travel

Free TV licence.

They’re getting HAP towards the rent. Their contribution to the rent is most likely around €90 a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

No different to a doctor removing a bullet from a known drug dealer though, is it? While we'd all love to see the vermin left to die, its just not the done thing and the doctor has a job to do.

Some jobs need emotion taken out of them. I can't for the life of me understand how somebody could say do brain surgery on new born babies (or tell their parents say that their child is dying or has died for example) but again, some jobs need the emotion taken out of them.

This is just another of those. It probably takes a certain type of personality, that is for sure. But again, everybody has a right to legal defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

RIP Ashling.

Horrific way to go.

Hope that scumbag is haunted every waking moment for what he did. He should never know a moments peace.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Id have been happier if they’d waited another 2 hours. Tough on the Murphys but it looks better afterwards. You’d hate to see an appeal on the grounds that the jury didn’t spend enough time considering.

Also you’d like to see him building up his hope that his lies had worked and them having those hopes dashed to smithereens.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Indeed, we can be grateful that they caught Ashling Murphy's killer but also acknowledge the absolute nonsense from the media that surrounded this case - desperate to turn a heinous crime and tragedy into a cause. They were absolutely happy to blame "men", that is until all of a sudden there was silence.

I wasn't the one to claim to speak for all women though, that was the poster that I quoted. It is absolutely ridiculous to claim today is "an emotional day for all women". Emotional for sure for those that knew the victim and indeed the wider community where she was from but it is just another news story among other news stories that will have no impact for most people - men and women.

Yes, but the surgeons regarding babies are carrying out life/saving work in our most precious of things. Incredibly rewarding, and of course, incredibly difficult when things don’t succeed.

with a defender who absolutely knows they are trying to get scum off, it takes a far different attitude/emotion. Like I said, no amount money would see me do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭foxsake

despite what people will cry about it actually means life.

they let most out if they believe they are of no risk to society - the average term is about 22years BUT - and this is the bit the ranters never tell you -

they are only released "on licence" they gotta check in and report etc... also considering they are technically still on a life sentence.. if they commit more crime even something pretty minor , they can (and have been ) be sent back on the life sentence and must get paroled again to get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

He will be able to serve most of his sentence in Slovakia. A Czech national who committed an equally heinous murder of an Irish woman in Longford in 2007 was able to moved to a Czech prison after about five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

no I don’t think that’s the point that’s being made at all.

The point that was being made was that the defense team really ought to be ashamed of themselves to the point where they’d be tossing and turning at night in bed.

This is because neither yourself nor the poster understand the concept of what it is to be a professional.

All emotion has to be left outside the door or it turns into an unmanageable mess. It’s the same for lots of professions, in particular medicine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭foxsake

i think the judges comment put paid to any doubt - that it was an obv veerdict . he (and the jury) sat through that drivel of a defence .

Puska may appeal but its rare there is such an open/shut case he'll be wasting his own time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement