Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV tolls discount may end Dec 31 2023

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

Any other country in Europe has 0 motor tax equivalent. That an EV is taxed 120 pa here and dirty poisoinous diesel taxed at 200 is completely unacceptable and insane.

Slapping tarriffs for EVs would be a suicide for European automotive that can't compete (in low-medium segment, BMW is fine). The only result of that would be the Chinese automakers setting up joint ventures in Europe, especially East and South of Europe, to avoid tarrrifs and transport costs. It's a delaying tactic and I belive the Chinese will set up joint ventures anyway, just like the Japanese and then Koreans did.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That's exactly the goal of any tariff coming from the EU. It's not about protecting current EU companies, it's about ensuring that the jobs are performed in EU countries and subject to EU environmental and fair play rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

From the ZEVI page

"Government investment for electric vehicles will continue to rebalance towards supporting EV charging infrastructure. This change aligns with similar polices in European nations, where countries including Norway, Germany and France have begun to curb vehicle subsidies and government investment in EVs is moving towards infrastructure."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

My last discounted toll, oh those were the days. First full price toll tomorrow. I suppose I may as well take the fake EV reg off the diesel too..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Full toll and also a toll increase too so depending on usage quite a hit

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Nasty for the folk like me who live in the Lucan / Blanch area and who just use 2km of M50 most of the time to travel between the two places, yet have to pay toll for use of the whole of the M50

It's insane that a motorway around a capital city is tolled. Pretty much all motorways in France are tolled, but not the ones around Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 ddcluracan

It is a hit, I use the M3 everyday (both tolls). The cost of tolls now will be 34 euro per week for work commuting. That is on a par with my weekly electric cost for the commute. I am annoyed, but I knew this was going to end sometime, so I didn't factor it in when purchasing the ev. Still it was a nice bonus. And before anyone asks I am not in a position to move closer to work or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I was primarily using backroads to commute to Blanchardstown everyday, but since moving to EV I could use M4 and M50 toll roads at almost half price and not contribute to village conjestion(Enfield, Kilcock, Maynooth, Mullhudart). It will actually cost me more.

If if think about it, I was actually generating income towards tolls when the price was halved, as I actively avoid tolls when it was more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Isn't the toll just for the bridge, not the whole M50?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Same here, but thankfully not for commuting. Most of the time I used the toll off peak, so got the 75% discount (toll €0.58 each way). I'll be back using the backroads now any time I'm not in a hurry. Always preferred that drive anyway, particularly Rugged Lane 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is it any different to the M25 and the Dartford Crossing?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I think the main difference is the distances involved, the toll free option to get from Liffey Valley to Blanch is only an extra 2.5km vs a difference of 32km for Dartford to Purfleet. Not many people would be willing to take a 32km detour to save €2.50

• Registered Users Posts: 13,682 ✭✭✭✭josip

For a few years when on the way to France, I used to think the Dartford Crossing was the same price as the M6 toll, so I'd choose to go West and South around London instead of North and East 🙂.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Government investment for electric vehicles will continue to rebalance towards supporting EV charging infrastructure

If true, then personally speaking, I can accept this trade-off

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

It's much the same in terms of distance...if anything slightly quicker as you're avoiding the more populated north and east areas of London as opposed to large stretches of Surrey, Sussex and Kent when travelling anti-clockwise.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

I'm sure we all would, but looking at the way we have affected change in terms of infrastructure historically in this country, nothing happens at anything quicker than a snail's pace. Sure that bloody 2nd bridge spanning the N3 at the back of the Blanchardstown shopping center (towards the National Acquatic Center) was supposed to be a €22mill/2yr job for the contractor. Still not done...almost 1yr late. We seem unable to build anything in a timely fashion in this country. The sceptic in me says that a 'rapid roll out' of EV infrastructure will not be forthcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Elections coming up in May, hold your politicians to account at the door when they come knocking

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭daarmcd

That junction is ridiculous, 5 roads connecting on one side, one set of traffic lights. The 2nd bridge will make no difference if it is ever finished.

Anyway I will miss paying 48 cents to use the M50. It was great while it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If it's not in the parties manifesto then your local politician can't do anything. If it's in the parties manifesto they can just ignore it like most of the things they put in their manifestos.

Advertisement